U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,004 times

Advertisements

So, my work has decided to allow to work from home a permanent basis. I've got the okay to move out of state and continue my job.

We will be moving to Arizona from Texas this summer. We do have a child, so school district is important to us. Just a couple of quick questions.

I've been looking at Gilbert, Scottsdale, and Chandler as the primary areas, but would love your input on these areas too:

Tempe
Glendale
Goodyear
Peoria
San Tan

Our budget for a house will be $500k - $600k. Or a little higher if it's perfect, no more than $700k

We do like newer homes. It seems searching in Scottsdale, there's a lot of older homes there though.

Also, what are expenses like for:

Monthly Electric
Home Owners Insurance
Monthly Water
Natural Gas?

In Texas, we're in a one story house, about 2,700 SQFT that was build in 2014. Our average electric is: $140 per month (we keep the air at 75 during the day and lower it to 70 at night - we like it cold at night), water is $180 per month (our lot size is .25 acres and we water a lot in the summer), natural gas is $46. Home owner's insurance is $1,655 per year. Our property taxes are $9,000 per year. Car registration here is $73 per year and premium gas is $3.19 per gallon. Our sales tax is 8.25%

If you could help with providing an average cost for those item, it would be a big help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 10:02 PM

5,222 posts, read 3,243,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashtag View Post
So, my work has decided to allow to work from home a permanent basis. I've got the okay to move out of state and continue my job.

We will be moving to Arizona from Texas this summer. We do have a child, so school district is important to us. Just a couple of quick questions.

I've been looking at Gilbert, Scottsdale, and Chandler as the primary areas, but would love your input on these areas too:

Tempe
Glendale
Goodyear
Peoria
San Tan

Our budget for a house will be $500k - $600k. Or a little higher if it's perfect, no more than $700k

We do like newer homes. It seems searching in Scottsdale, there's a lot of older homes there though.

Monthly Electric
Home Owners Insurance
Monthly Water
Natural Gas?

In Texas, we're in a one story house, about 2,700 SQFT that was build in 2014. Our average electric is: $140 per month (we keep the air at 75 during the day and lower it to 70 at night - we like it cold at night), water is $180 per month (our lot size is .25 acres and we water a lot in the summer), natural gas is $46. Home owner's insurance is $1,655 per year. Our property taxes are $9,000 per year. Car registration here is $73 per year and premium gas is $3.19 per gallon. Our sales tax is 8.25%

If you could help with providing an average cost for those item, it would be a big help.

I own property in both cities highlighted in red. 500k-600k will get you a very nice home in a great neighborhood with good schools.

Property taxes will be much lower than TX.

Now the bad news... the cost of electricity is unbelievable high during the summer months.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:40 PM

5,197 posts, read 4,713,560 times
Quote:

Tempe
Glendale
Goodyear
Peoria
San Tan

Monthly Electric
Home Owners Insurance
Monthly Water
Natural Gas?

Expect your electric bill to quadruple in the summer months approximately. However our property tax is lower, insurance is probably lower, car registration is based on your car value so it can vary on the new-ness of your car... overall I would guess the COL is about similar just in different ways.

Old 04-30-2021, 03:51 AM

1,613 posts, read 2,519,779 times
9000 per year for property taxes!!!!!!!!!!! That is crazy!!!!!!

Old 04-30-2021, 06:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,004 times
Yeah, $9,000 is nuts! The crazy thing is that my house is (tax appraisal) valued at LESS than $400K too! The higher property taxes weren't much of a big issue in the past, but with Texas property values sky rocketing, it really has become an issue for many.

Use to be, you could build or buy a nice house in a nice neighborhood for relatively cheap in the past. Not so much any more.

For instance, we built our house in 2014 (in the most expensive elementary school zone in the most expensive school district). We didn't cut any corners, quite the contrary actually. We added and added... spray foam insulation, huge master shower with multiple jets (the shower cost $9,000 by itself), larger covered patio, tankless water heaters, granite on every counter, expensive flooring, natural gas custom fire pit, extra cabinets in the master bath, mudroom and laundry room, etc... Anyway, final cost came in at $299,150. Our builder just built another home similar to ours WITHOUT all the extras and he sold for over $400K... add the additional money that we spent and that would push the cost close to $450K now!

With the increase cost of lumber and everything. If he started our build today, it would put the cost more close to $500K

Old 04-30-2021, 10:44 AM

41,545 posts, read 53,511,149 times
Cost of electricity is not necessarily high. Depends on your life style. Our 2000 sq ft home is set at 74 degrees all year around. The electricity cost is $144.00 per month, all year around, on the economy plan the electric company offers. We have good insulation, E-windows and no children running around with open doors and windows all the time.
Our ppty taxes are $2400.00 annually. Water is $48.00 monthly. HOA fee's $700 + annually.
Your lifestyle and expenditures may vary.

Old 04-30-2021, 10:51 AM

5,127 posts, read 2,662,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
9000 per year for property taxes!!!!!!!!!!! That is crazy!!!!!!
That's nothing we were paying almost $12,000 a year for a 3 bedroom 1 bath 1,100 sq. ft. home in the semi run down City of Peekskill, NY and that was 11 years ago.

Old 04-30-2021, 11:56 AM

4,563 posts, read 2,851,358 times
For any property you are going to make an offer on, I'd ask to see a year of utility bills. Summer electric bills are the big wildcard, and can be anywhere from a couple of hundred to a thousand a month.

Since you are coming from Texas you may already know this, but be aware of the house orientation. In particular, watch out for homes that have big unshaded windows on the east or west sides. Having the backyard facing west is generally the least desirable. All of the other orientations have their pluses and minuses, IMO.

You will find some homes here with gas forced air heating, and other homes that use a heat pump (same system as used for A/C). Our house has the latter and I think it works fine. There's not much heating demand here, and the heat pumps can do the job without any assist like required in colder places. AFAIK either is fine here, but if you have a preference it's something to watch for.

On the east side, Kyrene School District has a good reputation. I'm sure there are other good ones as well, but I know about that one because of co-workers who had kids go through that system.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:09 PM

23,618 posts, read 12,722,022 times
Quote:

Tempe
Glendale
Goodyear
Peoria
San Tan

Monthly Electric
Home Owners Insurance
Monthly Water
Natural Gas?

I would stick to Chandler, Gilbert and Scottsdale if education district and schools are important. Those areas will also tend to hold their home value based on history. Gilbert probably will give you the most value in my opinion but each of the 3 have great points.

We lived many years in Texas and when I retired 2.5 years ago, I looked into moving back to Texas but the property taxes and property insurance costs were really high and I prefer the Phoenix climate and mountains proximity as well so we discarded that idea.

One thing I would suggest here is manage your lot in such a way to minimize water usage. The biggest negatives for Arizona is you will have state income taxes and taxes on your vehicles. If you have an EV, the vehicle taxes are much less (we have a Tesla).

Old 04-30-2021, 12:52 PM

3,472 posts, read 3,469,568 times
Just don't forget that you will be paying State Income Tax now, but your property taxes will go down, your car registration will go up, Premium gas is almost $4 here, Electric is variable.

Scottsdale has a lot of older homes as it has pretty much been built out unless you keep going North. Chandler and Gilbert have better school districts but that may change going forward, both just laid off hundreds of teachers for next year due to students transferring to Charters, Private Schools and homeschooling from the pandemic. There are newer homes in Chandler/Gilbert but they will be on postage stamp lots as builders tried to maximize the number of homes on a given plot of land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area