U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-30-2021, 04:13 PM
 
455 posts, read 215,320 times
Reputation: 520

Advertisements

Came across this.. Bad news for those sharing pools.. especially those counting on chlorine to make up for toilet paper scarcity. https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/04/30/...is-summer.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-30-2021, 04:31 PM
 
2,358 posts, read 4,798,742 times
Reputation: 4309
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Came across this.. Bad news for those sharing pools.. especially those counting on chlorine to make up for toilet paper scarcity. https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/04/30/...is-summer.html
This was obvious a couple of weeks ago when my favorite pool store, Litchfield Park Pools, was completely out. Ten years of pool ownership/DIY and never saw anything like it.

Fortunately, happened into an ACE hardware where they were having a great sale and loaded up. Litchfield is now back in stock (for now).
Time will tell if this is just a way to drag sales forward (and jack up prices) or if it's for real and will last.
Unscented straight bleach also does the job.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2021, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Ocotillo, Chandler, AZ
698 posts, read 679,910 times
Reputation: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Unscented straight bleach also does the job.

And without the "no splash" or whatever additive it is. Apparently a component of the no-splash bleach makes the pool a little sudsy if you use it. I used totally and completely plain ordinary bleach a few years ago with our above ground Intex pool all summer one year and it worked beautifully. Very cheap. But last summer in this new place with a real in-ground pool, there was no plain bleach to be found. Target, Walmart, Fry's, Safeway. Absolutely every single bottle of bleach at every single store had some kind of additive or another that makes it not usable in pools for one reason or other.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-30-2021, 10:59 PM
 
2,358 posts, read 4,798,742 times
Reputation: 4309
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
And without the "no splash" or whatever additive it is. Apparently a component of the no-splash bleach makes the pool a little sudsy if you use it. I used totally and completely plain ordinary bleach a few years ago with our above ground Intex pool all summer one year and it worked beautifully. Very cheap. But last summer in this new place with a real in-ground pool, there was no plain bleach to be found. Target, Walmart, Fry's, Safeway. Absolutely every single bottle of bleach at every single store had some kind of additive or another that makes it not usable in pools for one reason or other.
That's it. I couldn't think of it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2021, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
34,395 posts, read 44,230,282 times
Reputation: 23444
I think we will be swimming in green water this summer or have a lot less green in our pockets. Tabs and all the other forms of chlorine will be a problem. It's Econ 101. When a product is in short supply, substitutes become scarce and expensive as well. The plant in Louisiana that burned down will not be back online until next year. IDK, maybe China will send us some.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2021, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
3,089 posts, read 1,815,733 times
Reputation: 7433
I use HDX liquid chlorine during the winter. But during the summer, that would cost way too much. Would only do that if I couldn't find tabs at all.

I've resigned myself to draining the pool every couple of years. If not for cyanuric acid, then for the huge amounts of calcium that build up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2021, 10:22 AM
 
Location: Ocotillo, Chandler, AZ
698 posts, read 679,910 times
Reputation: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I use HDX liquid chlorine during the winter. But during the summer, that would cost way too much. Would only do that if I couldn't find tabs at all.

I've resigned myself to draining the pool every couple of years. If not for cyanuric acid, then for the huge amounts of calcium that build up.
This rental came with pool service (and the rent is super cheap, so I don't know how they're working that), but I don't think this guy is up to snuff. He never checks the levels and they're terrible. He comes once per week and he just throws a puck in the floater, sprinkles powder, skims the surface with his net, and cleans out rocks on the bottom, then leaves. But I've measured the levels with a good test kit, and every week the FC and CC are down to zero. pH is only about 0.1 off. But the CYA is like 100, and the calcium is 1000. Like you said, the only way to fix CYA and CH being too high is replacing a certain % of the water. But at these levels, it's a full drain. He said it's been 4 years since the last drain, and the CH sure shows it. I tested the water coming out of wall the pool gets filled from, and the CH is already damned close to the recommended concentration. So couple that with 4 years of no draining...

I didn't know you needed a pump and hose to drain the water out to those little black things in the ground in the front yard. If it was just unplugging a drain or something, I could have done that. I've told the property management company and the pool company multiple times about the problem levels and the solution, but, nobody cares apparently. I've thought about contacting the actual owners, but, I don't know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2021, 11:10 AM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
3,089 posts, read 1,815,733 times
Reputation: 7433
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
This rental came with pool service (and the rent is super cheap, so I don't know how they're working that), but I don't think this guy is up to snuff. He never checks the levels and they're terrible. He comes once per week and he just throws a puck in the floater, sprinkles powder, skims the surface with his net, and cleans out rocks on the bottom, then leaves.
This area seems to be full of flaky pool guys. Yours isn't that bad... he is doing something. A coworker caught a pool guy on camera never even getting out of his truck.

Quote:
But I've measured the levels with a good test kit, and every week the FC and CC are down to zero.
Even if the water isn't green, you probably have algae. Something's consuming all of that chlorine. I'd be shocking the heck out of it (except it needs to be drained...)

Quote:
pH is only about 0.1 off. But the CYA is like 100, and the calcium is 1000.
How sure are you of your CYA test? I'd go to almost 100 in one year of using pucks. In my area, two years on the same water has CH at about 750.

Quote:
Like you said, the only way to fix CYA and CH being too high is replacing a certain % of the water. But at these levels, it's a full drain. He said it's been 4 years since the last drain, and the CH sure shows it. I tested the water coming out of wall the pool gets filled from, and the CH is already damned close to the recommended concentration. So couple that with 4 years of no draining...
Yeah, my city water is 250ppm for CH

I have a hard time seeing how four years on the same water is only 100 for CYA

Quote:
I didn't know you needed a pump and hose to drain the water out to those little black things in the ground in the front yard. If it was just unplugging a drain or something, I could have done that. I've told the property management company and the pool company multiple times about the problem levels and the solution, but, nobody cares apparently. I've thought about contacting the actual owners, but, I don't know.
You can rent a pump at Home Depot. Or buy one at Harbor Freight or Amazon... I have all the pieces (100' hose, pump, adapter) in my Amazon shopping cart for $115

Tell the management company that excessive calcium will damage the pool equipment... scale building up will cause expensive problems.

And check out Trouble Free Pool for more advice.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2021, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Ocotillo, Chandler, AZ
698 posts, read 679,910 times
Reputation: 1128
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
And check out Trouble Free Pool for more advice.
I do actually go there sometimes. I use the pool math calculator to get things squared away for what / how much to add. I use the TF-100 kit, replacing the stuff when summer starts. I admit the CYA test could use a better eye, as it's one of those fuzzy "eyeball it" tests and I'm no expert. But even so, it's clearly WAY above the acceptable threshold.

I don't know myself how long it's been. That was just his estimate. He said 3-4 years. I've never seen him add CYA, so I don't know how often it's been added.

Yeah, he seems like a nice guy actually and replaces the net / brush when it breaks, and things like that. I'm just not sure how informed he is about testing, and the proper corrections for each given chemical.

It does get algae, given the presence of those silverish bugs that happily swim through the water, showing up a couple of days before he comes. We also get the yellow kind that just won't go away. He just adds a second puck, and more powder than usual. I'm convinced that a drain of the pool and proper testing and chemical maintenance from the beginning will make these issues go away, and stay gone. Another problem is finding the damn bleach. Every kind carried at every store I go to has various additives; be it scent, no-splash and whatever else.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-01-2021, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Sonoran Desert
34,395 posts, read 44,230,282 times
Reputation: 23444
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
I do actually go there sometimes. I use the pool math calculator to get things squared away for what / how much to add. I use the TF-100 kit, replacing the stuff when summer starts. I admit the CYA test could use a better eye, as it's one of those fuzzy "eyeball it" tests and I'm no expert. But even so, it's clearly WAY above the acceptable threshold.

I don't know myself how long it's been. That was just his estimate. He said 3-4 years. I've never seen him add CYA, so I don't know how often it's been added.

Yeah, he seems like a nice guy actually and replaces the net / brush when it breaks, and things like that. I'm just not sure how informed he is about testing, and the proper corrections for each given chemical.

It does get algae, given the presence of those silverish bugs that happily swim through the water, showing up a couple of days before he comes. We also get the yellow kind that just won't go away. He just adds a second puck, and more powder than usual. I'm convinced that a drain of the pool and proper testing and chemical maintenance from the beginning will make these issues go away, and stay gone. Another problem is finding the damn bleach. Every kind carried at every store I go to has various additives; be it scent, no-splash and whatever else.
CYA is in the pucks. CYA protects chlorine from sunlight but also buffers it making it less available for sanitation. So it is a trade off. The higher the CYA the more chlorine you have to add. Rule of thumb is free chlorine level should be 7.5% of the CYA level. With CYA at 100 that is a free chlorine level of 7.5 which is a lot of chlorine. 50 is about the limit on CYA. People who use pucks will always develop problems with high CYA and need to change water every couple years.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top