U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2021, 05:56 AM

7,024 posts, read 8,472,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I'm going to disagree on the Vizio. Had one in my office and one in the kids playroom and both had to be replaced due to poor quality. I like Sony OLED personally.
Their XBR77A9G (77" OLED) is the best of the best. They are taking orders for an 83" OLED this month. Those will list for $8K, street price will be a lot less. Give it a couple of years and it will be 1/2 the price. Personally, I want their new 100" Bravia X92J that is coming out. I'm too cheap to be an early adopter. But I designed my wall to eventually accommodate a 100" panel. It will be a Sony. As I said earlier, Sony makes the best TV's. Ask any ISF calibrator.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 06:08 AM

34,482 posts, read 44,369,648 times
With 75 plus TVs you might have to go pick it up if ordered online. I bought one around Christmas time and delivery was always quoted as truck, scheduled freight. Apparently they exceed the size for UPS etc. I braved the 'rona and did pickup at Best Buy. Even that was a problem as the TV would not fit in my vehicle vertically so they would not load it for me. Had to do it myself. I laid it flat with no consequences

Old 05-04-2021, 08:26 AM

35,423 posts, read 14,883,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
If you pigeonhole yourself with not wanting to buy a TV at Costco, you are crazy. I bet they have more selection than any other retailer this day in age (on par with BB) Never mind that you get a longer warranty if you use their Costco credit card for the purchase. And if you buy a Sony for instance (who make the best TVs), they offer a 5-year warranty + another year if you use their Costco credit card. If you buy it at Costco.com, they deliver too.

For a TV and a retail location, my 1st choice would be Costco, my 2nd Costco as well as my 3rd choice. It's a no-brainer. Also, if you buy a TV online and they have an incredible price, google that company name followed by the word "scam". See what comes up. Saying that, sometimes BB is irrational and they don't mind losing hundreds of dollars on a transaction!? When they clear out a model or brand, you can score a great deal. But normally, BB is expensive.

I always check Costco 1st. Other than those people who are selling things on your way out the door. If you want to get screwed, I would highly recommend getting a price with the water softener, blind person, etc.
I had a somewhat bad experience buying a t.v. at Costco. When I got it home the screen was shattered, and while they did take it back for a refund, I then got the same t.v. cheaper at Best Buy.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:55 AM

4,145 posts, read 8,009,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
With 75 plus TVs you might have to go pick it up if ordered online. I bought one around Christmas time and delivery was always quoted as truck, scheduled freight. Apparently they exceed the size for UPS etc. I braved the 'rona and did pickup at Best Buy. Even that was a problem as the TV would not fit in my vehicle vertically so they would not load it for me. Had to do it myself. I laid it flat with no consequences
I bought a Sony OLED 65 for the master bedroom during the pandemic from Best Buy Magnolia Home Theater. I had them deliver and setup because I'm sure it wouldn't fit in our vehicles either, plus I would have had to convince a buddy to come over and help while corona was raging.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:16 AM

485 posts, read 244,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Their XBR77A9G (77" OLED) is the best of the best. They are taking orders for an 83" OLED this month. Those will list for $8K, street price will be a lot less. Give it a couple of years and it will be 1/2 the price. Personally, I want their new 100" Bravia X92J that is coming out. I'm too cheap to be an early adopter. But I designed my wall to eventually accommodate a 100" panel. It will be a Sony. As I said earlier, Sony makes the best TV's. Ask any ISF calibrator.
I used to think that, but the Sony Bravia smart TV I sold with my condo had two dead pixels, and wasn't 3 yo. Look at where it is made...

Old 05-04-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
I used to think that, but the Sony Bravia smart TV I sold with my condo had two dead pixels, and wasn't 3 yo.
The best (fill in the blank) has problems. If they didn't, they wouldn't need a service center.

Every display and projector manufacture has to have a specification to allow x amount of bad pixels. I'm not saying I want any. Most people are not sensitive to this. Hence, a spec. Now IF the spec is zero, that's going to skyrocket the price of a panel. Defect densities are just part of the reality. To hit price points, they have to allow for some.

Quote:
look at where it is made...
They are made with parts from dozens of countries. Still, Sony makes the best panel (I'm taking the premium products). I am not guessing.

Old 05-04-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I had a somewhat bad experience buying a t.v. at Costco. When I got it home the screen was shattered, and while they did take it back for a refund, I then got the same t.v. cheaper at Best Buy.
It never hurts to check the competition. If the price is close, I go with Costco. As I said earlier, sometimes, BB doesn't mind losing money. And I will help them with losing money if there is a deal to be had.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:50 PM

1,013 posts, read 528,563 times
Quote:
I used to think that, but the Sony Bravia smart TV I sold with my condo had two dead pixels, and wasn't 3 yo. Look at where it is made...
Where do you think all this electronic sh*t is made? I don't think they are making high-end tvs in Ohio or anywhere else on this continent. And while I feel your disdain for Asian-made products, we unfortunately don't really have a choice.

There are a few brands that have final assembly in the USA (with pretty much all foreign parts); however, they are ridiculously expensive and I have no clue as to the quality.

Old 05-04-2021, 03:24 PM

485 posts, read 244,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Where do you think all this electronic sh*t is made? I don't think they are making high-end tvs in Ohio or anywhere else on this continent. And while I feel your disdain for Asian-made products, we unfortunately don't really have a choice.

There are a few brands that have final assembly in the USA (with pretty much all foreign parts); however, they are ridiculously expensive and I have no clue as to the quality.
No disdain for Asian products.. just returned after seven years in SEA. I do know the difference in PRC and ROC, though. Sony and Toyota both reached their peak with their products made in Japan.. They are still pretty good, but... Now, you will see the Japanese multinationals (Hitachi, Toshiba, Sony) advertise Japanese Engineering, which could easily mean it is made in Indonesia.

Old 05-05-2021, 07:35 AM

1,013 posts, read 528,563 times
Quote:
No disdain for Asian products.. just returned after seven years in SEA. I do know the difference in PRC and ROC, though. Sony and Toyota both reached their peak with their products made in Japan.. They are still pretty good, but... Now, you will see the Japanese multinationals (Hitachi, Toshiba, Sony) advertise Japanese Engineering, which could easily mean it is made in Indonesia.
That's even what a lot of US brands do. Take Apple "Designed by Apple in California. Made in China." It's too hard to walk away from cheap Chinese goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area