U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2021, 11:40 AM

24,435 posts, read 17,245,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Yes, utter nonsense. Raw data needs context and interpretation. Your conclusion that Phoenix is a high crime city based on the raw data you found isn't an accurate interpretation. The stats you're citing actually support Phoenix as being a safer city. Context and interpretation matter.
It is relative to every city around it. That's the context, not whatever drivel you added. And it will remain relatively safer than failed cities if we don't have people moving here from cities like Detroit
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2021, 12:06 PM

8,182 posts, read 14,075,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
It is relative to every city around it. That's the context, not whatever drivel you added. And it will remain relatively safer than failed cities if we don't have people moving here from cities like Detroit
No, it’s not. It’s comparing Phoenix to every city in the country using an arbitrary score. When the field includes podunk cities of 1000 people, it’s a completely nonsensical data point. It also has nothing to do with “every city around it”. Statistics can be useful but not if the person posting it doesn’t understand how to interpret it. It in no way supports your conclusion that Phoenix is a high crime city. It actually supports the contrary.

No one has mentioned anything about Detroit other than you. Are you OK?

Old 05-08-2021, 12:19 PM

3,106 posts, read 4,992,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
This is complete nonsense as you're not understanding the statistic. Phoenix is the 5th most populous city in the country and out of the top 100 most populous cities, we're #34 when ranked by crimes per 100k people. That puts our massive city as a safer place than Tulsa, Wichita, Anchorage, Dallas, Buffalo and many others. To say that Phoenix has higher crime than 90% of the cities in the US is actually a favorable statistic when every single other city, large and miniscule is being considered in that and we're as populated as we are.
In addition to the points that DetroitN8V makes, the conclusion that Phoenix is crime-ridden and the suburbs are not is also nonsense. A large portion of the city of Phoenix is suburban in nature and has similar crime statistics to various suburbs. A comparison of zip codes would be a more useful way to determine that.

Old 05-08-2021, 02:38 PM

3,442 posts, read 2,414,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
If you compare Phoenix violent crime rates per 100K to other large cities Phoenix stacks up pretty favorably. Our violent crime is lower than Kansas City, Nashville, Houston, Chicago, Minneapolis, Atlanta, Dallas, Los Angeles. It's in the same general range as Orlando, Denver, San Francisco, Miami, and Boston.

On top of that some of our suburbs like Scottsdale, Gilbert and Chandler rank near the very lowest crime rates for the top 100 largest cities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_crime_rate

Old 05-08-2021, 02:40 PM

2,663 posts, read 1,907,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Not even an apples-apples comparison as New York County is only Manhattan, the city is spread among 5 counties (1 for each borough), and Bronx and Kings Counties (Bronx and Brooklyn) have much higher crime stats than New York County (Manhattan)
Adding all 5 counties that make up NYC (New York, Kings, Queens, Bronx, Richmond)

Deaths in motor vehicles - 2056 - 3.5 deaths per 100k per year (compared to 10.3 Maricopa County)
Deaths by firearms - 1269 - 2.5 deaths per 100k per year (compared to 11.3 Maricopa County)

Total unnatural deaths (firearm and auto) per capita per year - 6.0 for all NYC (compared to 21.6 Maricopa County)

Point being, that perception of "safety" often differs from reality. People tend to overestimate "crime" when looking at neighborhoods or statistics, as much of "crime" is either domestic or localized to a few "bad" people in "bad" areas. People also underestimate deaths and injuries caused by automobile accidents, especially in areas where people spend more time in cars. Definitely long suburban commutes contribute to higher death rates by accidents, across a much wider group of people than just those affected by crime in "bad" areas.

Last edited by RocketSci; 05-08-2021 at 03:04 PM..

Old 05-08-2021, 02:43 PM

3,442 posts, read 2,414,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Do you really think your average Tempe resident is going to pay money to transport themselves from one side of the ASU campus to the other via trolley? Why on earth would someone do that? Does it go to Tempe marketplace? No. Does it go to south Tempe? No. Does it go anywhere of use to someone who isn’t a student living in a dorm on Apache and trying to get to the bars on mill? No.

That was sure worth hundreds of millions of dollars and years of construction headaches.
It's not made for the "average Tempe resident" it's made for urban residents both now and in the future. They're planning for the future and if you look at the sheer volume of apartments, condos, offices and apartments going up in downtown Tempe it's pretty obvious why. If I worked at State Farm and lived at Mill/University of course I'd take it. This is just the first phase of the street car, the future extensions may go to Tempe marketplace and down to possibly Mesa Riverview as well.

Old 05-08-2021, 07:51 PM

3,162 posts, read 1,162,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Adding all 5 counties that make up NYC (New York, Kings, Queens, Bronx, Richmond)

Deaths in motor vehicles - 2056 - 3.5 deaths per 100k per year (compared to 10.3 Maricopa County)
Deaths by firearms - 1269 - 2.5 deaths per 100k per year (compared to 11.3 Maricopa County)

Total unnatural deaths (firearm and auto) per capita per year - 6.0 for all NYC (compared to 21.6 Maricopa County)

Point being, that perception of "safety" often differs from reality. People tend to overestimate "crime" when looking at neighborhoods or statistics, as much of "crime" is either domestic or localized to a few "bad" people in "bad" areas. People also underestimate deaths and injuries caused by automobile accidents, especially in areas where people spend more time in cars. Definitely long suburban commutes contribute to higher death rates by accidents, across a much wider group of people than just those affected by crime in "bad" areas.
One other thing to mention is that "unnatural deaths" by firearm typically count suicides as well. Now, since it's done that way in both places, it might not make a difference to the actual city comparison, but it is a factor when calculating how "violent" a place is. Personally, I'd prefer they leave suicides out of the equation, but count all homicides whether by gun, knife, baseball bat, whatever.

When looking at a place to live, I'm not worried one whit about me shooting myself, I'm worried about the Other Guy. People that hate guns want the suicide stats in there because it greatly inflates the negative perception of firearms, when it is actually a much better measurement of mental health in the area. Studies have pointed to living at high altitudes to be a factor in depression, which may explain the "swath" of higher suicide rate among the Rocky Mountain states (coupled with higher gun ownership, it makes some sense). It's a shame that anyone off's themselves to begin with, but IMHO it simply confuses the argument about gun rights.

Last edited by Curly Q. Bobalink; 05-08-2021 at 09:01 PM..

Old 05-09-2021, 07:38 AM
Status: "Transplanted Californian in Alabama" (set 15 days ago)

697 posts, read 1,450,570 times
I lived at Tatum and Shea, a low crime area, for years. Moved to a casita near Banner Good Sam (14th and McDowell). Got the hell out 5 months later. I had just wanted a little casita with a yard so badly after living in an HOA condo that I jumped at it.

What I described is true of every city in the country. There are good places and bad places. NO WAY is Phoenix a big bad dangerous city. It's a very nice, wonderful, livable city. People will look for all sorts of reasons why Phoenix is bad. I miss it terribly, but it's just not in the cards for me right now.

Last edited by pathrunner; 05-09-2021 at 07:54 AM..

Old 05-09-2021, 05:36 PM

1,683 posts, read 1,530,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
Over the past 5 years I have visited the Phoenix area 4 times. After a 2 year absence I recently visited Phoenix and was there 4 days. Prior to this trip I viewed Phoenix as a wasteland, and quite unattractive. All that went out the window on this trip. The city and it's surroundings left me quite impressed. What I saw was Urban Planning at it's best. From downtown to the outer burbs, the beautiful modern architecture of it's buildings and dozens upon dozens of new parks was impressive.

Excellent urban planning was most notable in downtown Phoenix and Tempe. The refreshing modern architecture, small parks and tree lined streets in both city centers was eye catching.

Phoenix already had an excellent freeway system, rivaling that of my home town, Los Angeles. But after this trip I can honestly say Phoenix has arrived and the future looks very bright for this modern city.
Dunno, it seems to me that you're looking at a very limited range of things.

I'm not sure that "modern" building is enough. Often it's older buildings that are a major part of a city's charm

And cars aren't either. Maybe the good freeway system just paves the way (no pun intended) for more sprawl, which in turn leads to more environmental problems. The governor just derailed some environmental progress, we're going to be having water problems, and we're becoming a place that is dialing back women's rights.

Old 05-10-2021, 05:07 AM

3,708 posts, read 5,592,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
That is so odd to see this posting because I have also visited Phoenix 4 times in past 5 years.

Phoenix is a really nice city -- except for the summer weather. I've been there in either the springtime or the fall, and have never experienced June/July/August here, and not sure I would ever want to.

Trust me, you don't want to. Now, if we have a good monsoon season it mitigates things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area