U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2021, 08:06 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,098,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
You musnt have read about the water shortage or unsustainability that was talked about. I do agree that its getting nicer. I visited several times since 2018 and finally moved here this past December. I do play on moving again later this year near Sacramento , though. I thought I would like the heat , but its not for me.
LOL really?

You think Phoenix has a bad water shortage issue, but California doesn't??

As a former Californian myself, you seem completely out of touch.

People like to harp on the water issue in Phoenix, but then completely ignore that California is in a far worse situation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2021, 08:07 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,098,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Downtown Tempe, which has always been the most architecturally appealing part of the valley, has become an out of control hodgepodge of increasingly ugly midrise towers with garish color schemes and overly modern/cheap designs that are guaranteed not to age well. With all the free money flowing the past few years, they just keep building more and more of the things without a thought as to the impact on aesthetics, quality of life, traffic etc. People tend to perceive new as “good”. The problem is those things don’t stay new, and then you’re just left with a bunch of aging oversized eyesores you cant change.

Real urban planning includes considerations on functionality, street level impact, transportation options etc. Instead we get a wildly expensive and disruptive trolley that circles the asu campus and goes literally nowhere useful (unless you’re a student who doesn’t want to walk from one side of campus to the other.) And we already had orbit buses for that.
This guy... really :facepalm:

I swear I have never seen anyone so negative about some place and then never leave and keep on harping on negativity his entire life at it.

Old 05-22-2021, 08:21 AM

47 posts, read 13,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
after multiple decades living in Chiraq and the surrounding suburbs, I can say DEFINITIVELY that phoenix is one of the SAFER big cities. no doubt about it..
My only fears here are getting hit by a car while crossing the street, and getting killed by some moron doing 30mph over the limit while driving...
I second this

Old 05-27-2021, 02:47 AM

4,200 posts, read 4,465,034 times
I love Phoenix. I'm a New England native, love dry heat and hate cold and snow. The scenery is amazing and unusual, there's a lot to do for an inland city, and it's much cleaner than urban California. It's dining scene is constantly improving and it's got a great purple political environment mixing right-to-work and economic conservatism with legal pot. That's incredibly hard to find elsewhere.

I visit frequently but am staying where I am for now due to the Bay Area's high income/high innovation economy. Still, could see myself 30 years from now among the many Arizona retirees.

Old 05-27-2021, 06:33 AM

3,201 posts, read 1,992,387 times
nice post, and, it sounds like you really understand what going on in the phoenix area right now..

its a great time to live here for many folks..

Old 05-28-2021, 03:43 PM

2 posts, read 466 times
Unsustainable is quite correct. They can build whatever they would like, but we are all in trouble out here. The lack of water clearly has been known for a long time, however, the opportunity for Phoenix, builders, etc. to make some serious jack...negates any thinking of a viable future. We are looking to move back to the midwest where at least we can grow something and not experience water shortages hopefully. I lived in San Diego with the rolling blackouts, fires, and high cost of living, NM, GA, SC, MS, and my birthplace northern Ohio and the Great Lake Erie. There truly is no place like home. No thank you to the West anymore, but I was glad to to able to experience it and it's beauty.
[url]https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/27/weather/lake-mead-colorado-river-shortage/index.html[/url]

Old 05-28-2021, 06:56 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,687,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
Deaths in motor vehicles accidents 2013-2019:

Maricopa County: 3249 - 10.3 deaths per 100k per year
Cook County: 2234 - 6.1 deaths per 100k per year
New York County: 234 - 2.0 deaths per 100k per year

Deaths by firearms 2014-2019

Maricopa County: 3033 - 11.3 deaths per 100k per year
Cook County: 3909 - 12.7 deaths per 100k per year
New York County: 127 - 1.3 deaths per 100k per year

Total unnatural deaths (firearm and auto) per capita per year
Maricopa County - 21.6
Cook County - 18.8
New York County - 3.3

Source: https://www.countyhealthrankings.org...ealth-rankings
Don't mind Wase. He has been trying to justify leaving Chicago since he left. Thanks for the info. Phoenix is an acquired taste, either you like the desert and heat or you don't. It doesn't mean it is bad or good, just different. As for me, and ex-Californian in the Chicago area, I will take the rain right now and the peonies, iris' and daisies coming up alongside the thick green lawn and tall trees.

Old 05-29-2021, 10:09 AM

3,448 posts, read 2,429,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
LOL really?

You think Phoenix has a bad water shortage issue, but California doesn't??

As a former Californian myself, you seem completely out of touch.

People like to harp on the water issue in Phoenix, but then completely ignore that California is in a far worse situation.

SHHH, if someone wants to move back to California lets not get in their way.

Old 05-29-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Don't mind Wase. He has been trying to justify leaving Chicago since he left. Thanks for the info. Phoenix is an acquired taste, either you like the desert and heat or you don't. It doesn't mean it is bad or good, just different. As for me, and ex-Californian in the Chicago area, I will take the rain right now and the peonies, iris' and daisies coming up alongside the thick green lawn and tall trees.
Phoenix acquired my tastes easily and I haven't looked back, going on 20 years now. And for better or worse it doesn't seem to be struggling to attract a lot of others (https://azbigmedia.com/business/phoenix-is-fastest-growing-city-in-u-s-for-5th-year-in-a-row/).

To me, everything looks the same after you get east of roughly the middle of Texas, which is kind of boring for my tastes. It's nice to visit but that's enough for me. I'll take Phoenix beauty over a thick lawn and daises any day of the week but send some rain our way, okay? Thanks and enjoy IL.

All my personally shot photos by the way.

Old 05-29-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieMae737 View Post
Unsustainable is quite correct. They can build whatever they would like, but we are all in trouble out here. The lack of water clearly has been known for a long time, however, the opportunity for Phoenix, builders, etc. to make some serious jack...negates any thinking of a viable future. We are looking to move back to the midwest where at least we can grow something and not experience water shortages hopefully. I lived in San Diego with the rolling blackouts, fires, and high cost of living, NM, GA, SC, MS, and my birthplace northern Ohio and the Great Lake Erie. There truly is no place like home. No thank you to the West anymore, but I was glad to to able to experience it and it's beauty.
https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/27/weath...age/index.html
Best of luck in your move back "home". Believe it or not, for the majority of us in Phoenix, this is HOME and shuffling off to Buffalo or Ohio isn't reasonable. Add to that the idea of "escaping" the negative effects of GLOBAL climate change is kind of a farce right?

https://statesatrisk.org/ohio
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area