U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2021, 11:14 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,123,026 times

Advertisements

Moved to The Valley (Phoenix metro) in 1986. Arizona is OZ to me - understood to each their own. I'll take The Valley - all good.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2021, 12:16 PM

579 posts, read 819,525 times
“I love how unique Phoenix is! Here’s a pic of a man made lake surrounded by green non-native grass planted to mask the natural desert landscape!”

Old 05-29-2021, 05:49 PM

7,031 posts, read 10,279,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
“I love how unique Phoenix is! Here’s a pic of a man made lake surrounded by green non-native grass planted to mask the natural desert landscape!”
What's wrong with that? Can you imagine how much hotter the city would look & feel without grass, lakes, and trees? Just because the Phoenix area is in a desert environment doesn't mean everything has to consist of rocks, cactus, or brown soil. I'm glad we have these greenbelts. It would be pathetically ugly & barren without them. Here are a few more for your viewing (dis)pleasure:

Old 05-30-2021, 10:22 AM

3,558 posts, read 2,570,620 times
Quote:

This may be news to you Maroon but EVERY city in the country has non-native grass and plants growing in it, which is obviously masking their natural landscape as well.

Old 05-31-2021, 05:53 PM

7,031 posts, read 10,279,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
This may be news to you Maroon but EVERY city in the country has non-native grass and plants growing in it, which is obviously masking their natural landscape as well.
There are some people who are so adamantly opposed to "non native" vegetation that they become fanatical about it. They're the ones who often claim that grass & shade trees should be banned, and replaced with "desert" landscape, such as xeriscape or rock yards. I know you're not a fan of grass, but just picture how pathetically brown & unattractive it would look without grass lawns, trees, or greenbelts anywhere in the metro area. Not only that, it would be even hotter during the summer! Do we really want that?

Old 06-02-2021, 11:56 AM

579 posts, read 819,525 times
Good point. if we didn’t build all of those fake lakes and plant all of that heavily water dependent grass, we’d have come to terms with the fact that we live in a brown arid desert with limited water resources. God forbid. It’s horrifying to think that this place existed for millennia before people from the Midwest who think brown is ugly graciously showed up to improve it. Anyway, How’s lake mead holding up these days?

Old 06-02-2021, 12:27 PM

7,356 posts, read 8,759,137 times
Quote:
Good point. if we didn’t build all of those fake lakes and plant all of that heavily water dependent grass, we’d have come to terms with the fact that we live in a brown arid desert with limited water resources. God forbid. It’s horrifying to think that this place existed for millennia before people from the Midwest who think brown is ugly graciously showed up to improve it. Anyway, How’s lake mead holding up these days?
PSA:

In any situation, a person can hone in and focus on the negatives or positives. I need to ask, do you enjoy punishing yourself? It's as if you are doing your damnedest to drag people into your misery to feel better about yourself. And then assume anybody who sees it differently "is in real estate". Cheer up! Your attitude is no way to live your life. Just ask your significant other (assuming they can handle being around you).

We all know there are downsides to living in a GD desert. Geez. Lighten up for your own sake.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:31 AM

2,376 posts, read 1,234,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I think that part of the problem is (and I'm guessing here), that the number of mobile home parks in the U.S. has greatly declined in recent decades, when was the last time you saw a new park being built?

M.H.P.'s were the forerunners of the whole "tiny house movement". And, mobile homes morphed from being transportable by trailer hitches, into the 80' long, double-and-even triple-wide monstrosities we have today, that are unlikely to ever be moved again once they're set on pads, they're larger than many houses now. They are still much cheaper per square foot than traditional homes, but they have so many square feet now they have become cost-prohibitive, especially since they depreciate in value.

Bringing back "Travel Trailers" and building more "RV Parks" would help a lot with housing affordability. I think the problem of "van conversions" is that they lack sanitary and cooking facilities, we can't have communities of people living in vans and pooping on sidewalks.
MHPs aren't being built but one can certainly still by manufactured houses to be placed on one's land.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:39 AM

2,376 posts, read 1,234,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
To answer the question in your link, 153 years and counting.
Actually, not really because the Valley has not had over 4 million residents for 153 years. From 1880 to 1960, the MSA was not more than 726,000, and didn't hit a million until 1970. So it was less than 1/5th its current population for 80 years, quite a bit less strain on local resources that what has occurred post 20th century.

Old 06-04-2021, 11:42 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,688,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Bringing back "Travel Trailers" and building more "RV Parks" would help a lot with housing affordability. I think the problem of "van conversions" is that they lack sanitary and cooking facilities, we can't have communities of people living in vans and pooping on sidewalks.
Just making sure you realize that many people living in vans and other types of RV's do not poop on the sidewalks. I know several nomads even some who were in the movie Nomadland. Yes, there are desperate people who maybe didn't have a very good childhood with proper training, and yes lots of them have drug and alcohol issues, but for example I lived in Long Beach. People aren't pooping on the streets - yet. Lots more homeless though. The city has put up very large portable potties in the parks, with a place to wash hands outside. Much higher tech. That obviously needs to happen in San Francisco (used to live there), it's infuriating that someone created a Poop Map App to let people know where the poop is. Disgusting. And outrageous that the city does NOTHING about it.

Stealth parkers in cities and suburbs do not want to draw attention to themselves and that is why they use a luggable loo or find a bathroom, just like a lot of people who travel or live in their RV's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area