Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 05:19 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I lived at Tatum and Shea, a low crime area, for years. Moved to a casita near Banner Good Sam (14th and McDowell). Got the hell out 5 months later. I had just wanted a little casita with a yard so badly after living in an HOA condo that I jumped at it.

What I described is true of every city in the country. There are good places and bad places. NO WAY is Phoenix a big bad dangerous city. It's a very nice, wonderful, livable city. People will look for all sorts of reasons why Phoenix is bad. I miss it terribly, but it's just not in the cards for me right now.
How are things in 'bama?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 06:06 AM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
As much sun as there is in Phoenix, there are CLOUDS here in Alabama. Too many of them, too frequently. I'm basically happy other than being away from the west coast, Arizona, etc. where I spent my entire life - and the weather.

I just didn't realize how severe the weather is here. North Alabama. Southern tip of the Tennessee Valley, southern tip of the Appalachian Mountain Range. I have SAD, so the overcast weather is really an issue for me. I got up this morning, again Gloom. I was going to post in the Alabama forum: "does it ever stay sunny here or is this just how it is?"

Tornadoes are frequent, rain is frequent, dark clouds are frequent. I was astounded to be told that Alabama gets 60" of rain a year - way more than Seattle. It IS nice that the rain comes down in torrents and then quits. That's better than constant Seattle drizzle!

I had major panic attack and meltdown about 6 weeks ago with the first tornado of the season. It was extremely close by and one report (false) stated it had touched ground very near my house. I was literally shaking and crying because the 10 yr anniversary of the big killer tornadoes just happened on April 27. Over 100 people killed. Entire families wiped out. We have big trees all around so it was really scary. I think I've gotten used to it now, though.

People are slower and more polite here. The food is generally very unhealthy. Too much fried food. I live 30 miles from a large city so the food choices are nil compared to a metropolis. There is a kick ass Mexican restaurant though, the food is fantastic, prices good and nice ambiance. WalMart has severe stocking issues (and their app sucks)! I'm thinking the stocking issue is a nationwide problem at the moment though.

This is a no brainer but real estate is going sky high, like everywhere else. I wonder where that will end up.

Last edited by pathrunner; 05-10-2021 at 06:17 AM..

Old 05-10-2021, 08:25 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
As much sun as there is in Phoenix, there are CLOUDS here in Alabama. Too many of them, too frequently. I'm basically happy other than being away from the west coast, Arizona, etc. where I spent my entire life - and the weather.

I just didn't realize how severe the weather is here. North Alabama. Southern tip of the Tennessee Valley, southern tip of the Appalachian Mountain Range. I have SAD, so the overcast weather is really an issue for me. I got up this morning, again Gloom. I was going to post in the Alabama forum: "does it ever stay sunny here or is this just how it is?"

Tornadoes are frequent, rain is frequent, dark clouds are frequent. I was astounded to be told that Alabama gets 60" of rain a year - way more than Seattle. It IS nice that the rain comes down in torrents and then quits. That's better than constant Seattle drizzle!

I had major panic attack and meltdown about 6 weeks ago with the first tornado of the season. It was extremely close by and one report (false) stated it had touched ground very near my house. I was literally shaking and crying because the 10 yr anniversary of the big killer tornadoes just happened on April 27. Over 100 people killed. Entire families wiped out. We have big trees all around so it was really scary. I think I've gotten used to it now, though.

People are slower and more polite here. The food is generally very unhealthy. Too much fried food. I live 30 miles from a large city so the food choices are nil compared to a metropolis. There is a kick ass Mexican restaurant though, the food is fantastic, prices good and nice ambiance. WalMart has severe stocking issues (and their app sucks)! I'm thinking the stocking issue is a nationwide problem at the moment though.

This is a no brainer but real estate is going sky high, like everywhere else. I wonder where that will end up.
I predict a 70/30 or 75/25 rental to owner ratio in 30 years, which is similar to places like Germany

Old 05-10-2021, 09:32 AM

13,689 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I predict a 70/30 or 75/25 rental to owner ratio in 30 years, which is similar to places like Germany
I watched as the landlord/tenant relationship SF went from landlords calling the shot to where renters now rule the roost. However, SF is a much smaller city than Phx and I suspect the percentage of voters who rent higher.

Nevertheless, I expect in the coming years we'll see more rent control being introduced in Phx. But I also think at some point we'll see the USSC hear cases regarding rent control.

In AZ for example if a renter signs a lease agreement for 1-yr. when it ends... it ends. The landlord has the option of not renewing the lease.

In SF that's not the case. When the lease agreement ends SF rental law dictate the agreement automatically rolls over to month to month. The owner can't tell the renter to leave when their lease is over. Not if the owner wants to keep the house on the rental market.

My feeling is if either party wants to end a lease agreement after it expires they should be allowed to.

And....if the day comes when I can't get renters (in Mesa, Chandler or Gilbert) out when their lease is up.

Well, that's the day I start thinking about selling. I have no intentions of going through here what I went through in SF.

My experience has been most renters are fine. However, if they aren't following the lease agreement or start making unreasonable demands... I want them out.

Last edited by john3232; 05-10-2021 at 10:28 AM..

Old 05-10-2021, 09:50 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I watched as the landlord/tenant relationship SF went from landlords calling the shot to where renters now rule the roost. However, SF is a much smaller city than Phx and I suspect the percentage of voters who rent higher.

Nevertheless, I expect in the coming years we'll see more rent control being introduced in Phx. But I also think at some point we'll see the USSC hear cases regarding rent control.

In AZ for example if a renter signs a lease agreement for 1-yr. when it ends... it ends. The landlord has the option of not renewing the lease.

In SF that's not the case. When the lease agreement ends SF rental law dictate the agreement automatically rolls over to month to month. The owner can't tell the renter to leave when their lease is over. Not if the owner wants to keep the house on the rental market.

My feeling is if either party wants to end a lease agreement after it expires they should be allowed to.

And....if the day comes when I can't get renters (in Mesa, Chandler or Gilbert) out when their lease is up.

Well, that's the day I start thinking about selling.

After the first six or eight months with a new tenant I have a pretty good idea if it's going to work out. I'm not going to go through in Mesa (Chandler or Gilbert) what I went through in SF.
You want to defeat rent control? Reverse "anti-camping" laws and make it legal for people to live in RVs or conversion vans. Part of what's propping up prices is a captive market, in that people are forced to live in brick and mortar dwellings or they're deemed criminals

Old 05-10-2021, 10:15 AM

13,689 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You want to defeat rent control? Reverse "anti-camping" laws and make it legal for people to live in RVs or conversion vans. Part of what's propping up prices is a captive market, in that people are forced to live in brick and mortar dwellings or they're deemed criminals
I suspect some rental laws will not hold up should they reach the USSC. For example if I enter into a legal agreement to rent my property I don't think it's the city or state business to dictate for how much or for how long.

The other issues you mentioned can be decided by voters or city council.

Last edited by john3232; 05-10-2021 at 10:43 AM..

Old 05-10-2021, 02:38 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I suspect some rental laws will not hold up should they reach the USSC. For example if I enter into a legal agreement to rent my property I don't think it's the city or state business to dictate for how much or for how long.

The other issues you mentioned can be decided by voters or city council.
I think that part of the problem is (and I'm guessing here), that the number of mobile home parks in the U.S. has greatly declined in recent decades, when was the last time you saw a new park being built?

M.H.P.'s were the forerunners of the whole "tiny house movement". And, mobile homes morphed from being transportable by trailer hitches, into the 80' long, double-and-even triple-wide monstrosities we have today, that are unlikely to ever be moved again once they're set on pads, they're larger than many houses now. They are still much cheaper per square foot than traditional homes, but they have so many square feet now they have become cost-prohibitive, especially since they depreciate in value.

Bringing back "Travel Trailers" and building more "RV Parks" would help a lot with housing affordability. I think the problem of "van conversions" is that they lack sanitary and cooking facilities, we can't have communities of people living in vans and pooping on sidewalks.

Old 05-19-2021, 07:56 AM

9,522 posts, read 16,503,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
I think that part of the problem is (and I'm guessing here), that the number of mobile home parks in the U.S. has greatly declined in recent decades, when was the last time you saw a new park being built?

M.H.P.'s were the forerunners of the whole "tiny house movement". And, mobile homes morphed from being transportable by trailer hitches, into the 80' long, double-and-even triple-wide monstrosities we have today, that are unlikely to ever be moved again once they're set on pads, they're larger than many houses now. They are still much cheaper per square foot than traditional homes, but they have so many square feet now they have become cost-prohibitive, especially since they depreciate in value.

Bringing back "Travel Trailers" and building more "RV Parks" would help a lot with housing affordability. I think the problem of "van conversions" is that they lack sanitary and cooking facilities, we can't have communities of people living in vans and pooping on sidewalks.
I think your right MHPs were the forerunners of the tiny house movement. I moved out of a park in Florida in Feb 2020 and bought a house. The park was for seniors and yet had all ages living there. It was sold to out of state investors and the rent constantly went up. In the 5 years I lived there the rent went up $250 for no services other than trash pickup and water. I was paying $500 a month when I left, and was in one of the cheaper parks in the region. The water was constantly being shut off by the city because of late payments by the owner. I had it and got out. Luckily I was able to buy a house. This actually is going on in many parks in Florida and your right. New parks are not being built. I don't recommend parks anymore in much of this country. Just about every place is having problems with parks. Mainly its slum lords and outrageous lot rents. Unless a person can buy a mobile and set it up on their own land, then I don't recommend them if they have to live in a park.

Yes travel trailers and more RV Parks would help housing affordability. That is if it the RV parks charged reasonable fees. Your right about the van conversions lacking sanitary facilities. Take a trip to the West Coast states Portland comes to mind. People living in these things lined up on streets and using the sidewalks and bushes for relief. Something has to be done in this country about the outrageous cost of housing and the problems its causing. I doubt it will ever be addressed though.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:41 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,353,056 times
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...-survive-water

Old 05-19-2021, 07:21 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,729,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post

To answer the question in your link, 153 years and counting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area