Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 05:43 PM

567 posts, read 431,194 times

Advertisements

Over the past 5 years I have visited the Phoenix area 4 times. After a 2 year absence I recently visited Phoenix and was there 4 days. Prior to this trip I viewed Phoenix as a wasteland, and quite unattractive. All that went out the window on this trip. The city and it's surroundings left me quite impressed. What I saw was Urban Planning at it's best. From downtown to the outer burbs, the beautiful modern architecture of it's buildings and dozens upon dozens of new parks was impressive.

Excellent urban planning was most notable in downtown Phoenix and Tempe. The refreshing modern architecture, small parks and tree lined streets in both city centers was eye catching.

Phoenix already had an excellent freeway system, rivaling that of my home town, Los Angeles. But after this trip I can honestly say Phoenix has arrived and the future looks very bright for this modern city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 08:13 PM

994 posts, read 967,458 times
You musnt have read about the water shortage or unsustainability that was talked about. I do agree that its getting nicer. I visited several times since 2018 and finally moved here this past December. I do play on moving again later this year near Sacramento , though. I thought I would like the heat , but its not for me.

Old 05-06-2021, 08:59 PM

567 posts, read 431,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popwar View Post
You musnt have read about the water shortage or unsustainability that was talked about. I do agree that its getting nicer. I visited several times since 2018 and finally moved here this past December. I do play on moving again later this year near Sacramento , though. I thought I would like the heat , but its not for me.
This full turn around regarding Phoenix doesn't mean I plan to move their in the future. I was just making an observation on how things have started to change for the better because of good, thoughtful, urban planning. In the end it's still 100 degrees or hotter 4 months of the year and I prefer the milder climate.

Old 05-06-2021, 09:05 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelino19 View Post
The refreshing modern architecture
I cannot agree. The modern architecture here is a fault. City Hall is an eyesore. Love the architecture of the older building and some of the unique building you will see here and there in the valley. The modern stuff, not for me.

Old 05-07-2021, 08:45 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,400 times
Quote:

No way, I am from Sacramento! Congrats on your pending move.

Old 05-07-2021, 11:40 AM

915 posts, read 1,190,410 times
I agree with OP. Love the new architecture so much more than the mid century modern style from the 1960s/1970s.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:19 PM

717 posts, read 1,058,076 times
Downtown Tempe, which has always been the most architecturally appealing part of the valley, has become an out of control hodgepodge of increasingly ugly midrise towers with garish color schemes and overly modern/cheap designs that are guaranteed not to age well. With all the free money flowing the past few years, they just keep building more and more of the things without a thought as to the impact on aesthetics, quality of life, traffic etc. People tend to perceive new as “good”. The problem is those things don’t stay new, and then you’re just left with a bunch of aging oversized eyesores you cant change.

Real urban planning includes considerations on functionality, street level impact, transportation options etc. Instead we get a wildly expensive and disruptive trolley that circles the asu campus and goes literally nowhere useful (unless you’re a student who doesn’t want to walk from one side of campus to the other.) And we already had orbit buses for that.

Old 05-07-2021, 01:03 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Downtown Tempe, which has always been the most architecturally appealing part of the valley, has become an out of control hodgepodge of increasingly ugly midrise towers with garish color schemes and overly modern/cheap designs that are guaranteed not to age well. With all the free money flowing the past few years, they just keep building more and more of the things without a thought as to the impact on aesthetics, quality of life, traffic etc. People tend to perceive new as “good”. The problem is those things don’t stay new, and then you’re just left with a bunch of aging oversized eyesores you cant change.

Real urban planning includes considerations on functionality, street level impact, transportation options etc. Instead we get a wildly expensive and disruptive trolley that circles the asu campus and goes literally nowhere useful (unless you’re a student who doesn’t want to walk from one side of campus to the other.) And we already had orbit buses for that.
Couldn't disagree more. I think State Farm, the Grand at Papago and Watermark are really nice buildings. I love the glass architecture and the night time lighting elements are cool. It's shortsighted to assume that only students live/work in downtown Tempe, and would use the street trolley.

Old 05-07-2021, 01:52 PM

915 posts, read 1,190,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Couldn't disagree more. I think State Farm, the Grand at Papago and Watermark are really nice buildings. I love the glass architecture and the night time lighting elements are cool. It's shortsighted to assume that only students live/work in downtown Tempe, and would use the street trolley.
Although s/he is right about the trolley. 2 years of traffic disruptions for something of questionable value.

Old 05-07-2021, 02:36 PM

124 posts, read 108,472 times
Quote:

AND, its not even hot yet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area