Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2020, 09:16 PM

9 posts, read 11,122 times

Advertisements

I posted a similar note a few months ago, but my priorities have changed a bit. I apologize in advance for asking what might be a similar question as to what many others have already asked, but I am tired of searching...so, I will be retiring in two years. I am single, 60, but pretty active for my age. I am hoping to relocate to the Phoenix area early 2021, well before my retirement. I will be working remotely from my home. I am trying to find the ideal place to land. I am hoping to downsize to a 1500 to 2000 sf house or townhome. Budget will hopefully be about 300 - 350K. I do not want to be in a younger family neighborhood. Hoping for a neighborhood with a fair amount of oldies like myself. Maybe even some single 50-60s ladies near bye. I have looked into some of the age restricted developments, but I will most likely have my college age kids living with me during the summers. I have spent many vacations in the phoenix area over the past twenty years, as I had family in Scottsdale and Mesa, so I am somewhat familier with most parts of greater Phoenix. I love Scottsdale and Fountain Hills, but I dont think I can afford them. I like Peoria, Anthem, Goodyear and Queen Creek, but i am told that they are younger areas and I am afraid that I might be viewed as the crazy old single guy in those places. I am also a little concerned that there will be nothing to keep me entertained in those areas. Am I wrong? Any ideas, comments and or suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2020, 09:47 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,654 times
Arrowhead, but the Northcentral area is closer to the action.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:50 PM

Arrowhead... I dont know anything about Arrowhead. I will do my homework.

Old 06-27-2020, 09:57 PM

3,109 posts, read 2,970,654 times
I would choose the Phoenix part of Arrowhead over the Glendale part...

Old 06-27-2020, 10:15 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,425 times
Lots of great options to choose from. Sun City / Sun City west has some nice smaller homes, and may allow kids for a limited portion of the time to visit and stay.

Don't be afraid of being seen as the old guy. Wait til you're 80 or 90 and you'll wish you were 60! Age is just a number.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:42 PM

551 posts, read 693,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81Dawg View Post
I like Peoria, Anthem, Goodyear and Queen Creek, but i am told that they are younger areas and I am afraid that I might be viewed as the crazy old single guy in those places. I am also a little concerned that there will be nothing to keep me entertained in those areas. Am I wrong? Any ideas, comments and or suggestions would be appreciated.
Well, I guess it depends what you want to do in terms of activity. If you can give us ideas of what sort of activities certain areas are better suited. We have plenty of active elderly in the valley. I wouldn't worry about being the crazy old guy, the valley except in a few places is very diverse in age.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:10 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
Lots of great options to choose from. Sun City / Sun City west has some nice smaller homes, and may allow kids for a limited portion of the time to visit and stay.

Don't be afraid of being seen as the old guy. Wait til you're 80 or 90 and you'll wish you were 60! Age is just a number.
In Sun City kids can live here if 19 or older. Full time or part time it doesn't matter, as long as a person over 55 is in the house. They can get a card to use the amenities for $248 a year or monthly if part time.

If under 19 they are limited to 90 days a year.

Old 06-28-2020, 03:26 PM

1,108 posts, read 1,383,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
In Sun City kids can live here if 19 or older. Full time or part time it doesn't matter, as long as a person over 55 is in the house. They can get a card to use the amenities for $248 a year or monthly if part time.

That's very reasonable. A limited trade off to avoid paying property taxes for schools.

Old 06-28-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:

VERY helpful. THANKS

Old 06-29-2020, 11:16 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,271,429 times
Quote:

Just curious, how does Sun City enforce the 90 day a year policy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area