Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 07:51 PM

13,252 posts, read 7,304,105 times

Advertisements

Home flipper sold a corner house down the street backs up to 7th street for 125k more then any other house in our sub-division has sold for. We were shocked it sold for so much what we didn't know was the person who bought it runs a AirBnB business. He rents multiple houses I'm assuming this one is up for $415 a night. I can see how much of a money maker these can be.

The house sold about 40 days ago last Saturday was blow out party. Cars filled our entire neighborhood and bunch of guys with saggy jeans, booming stereos throwing glass bottles, and racing up and down the street.

The city has an ordnance everyone has called in to report the house suppose to register with the city and post the contact information. I sent a note to the owner he got back to me with an apology saying he had no idea. How can he do anything unless he asks for $5000 deposit what can you do.

The police were called and they left but at first we didn't know thought it was a legitimate neighbor just having a party wasn't until I woke up to two cars burning their tires and a booming stereo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 08:09 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
This is why hotels exist, and why we shouldn't have AirBnB. Houses/apartments should be long-term rentals only.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:04 PM

Exactly what a hotel is for I'm sure they aren't too happy about Airbnb not having to pay for all the cost running an hotel business out of a home even a B and B has to follow the laws of operating a business. They should be forced to only allow these in areas that are zoned for business use. The owner lives in MN he has no idea what going on there. We don't have an HOA so not one except the city of Phoenix to do anything about it.

Old 05-17-2021, 09:56 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times
I got one across the street to one side by me. I’ve grown to accept it

Ducey took away the ability for municipalities to do anything about it

Old 05-17-2021, 11:46 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
AirBnB is great. Loved having the option when I was in Iceland. Far more nondescript guests than horror stories.

Old 05-18-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I got one across the street to one side by me. I’ve grown to accept it

Ducey took away the ability for municipalities to do anything about it
I can't imagine the damage inside these places but if your marketing a party house it's easy to just figure in the cost of doing business to repair the damage's. I have no problem with Airbnb as long as people staying there don't bother me. The issue I see is Airbnb has no local oversight of the property. The owner in my case says he is installing cameras that helps he can monitor what is going on, but again what can he do living in another state what can the police do not much without the owner or a property manager. I think Airbnb needs some kind of local property manager to deal with these kinds of problems who can go there and get the bad apples removed from the property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
AirBnB is great. Loved having the option when I was in Iceland. Far more nondescript guests than horror stories.
The house sold to this guy 40 days ago we already had a party in the home, so I disagree you just don't hear about it unless you live across the street from it.

Last edited by kell490; 05-18-2021 at 11:47 AM..

Old 05-18-2021, 01:19 PM

915 posts, read 1,190,410 times
You can tell it's going to be a party house if the listing says it can accommodate an absurd number of people.
Most CCNA's forbid this type of activity regardless of the existence of an HOA. You should have a lawyer look into it and send them a cease and desist, and back it up with threat of lawsuit based on CCNA violation. It has been done successfully in other neighborhoods.

Old 05-18-2021, 01:26 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
You can tell it's going to be a party house if the listing says it can accommodate an absurd number of people.
Most CCNA's forbid this type of activity regardless of the existence of an HOA. You should have a lawyer look into it and send them a cease and desist, and back it up with threat of lawsuit based on CCNA violation. It has been done successfully in other neighborhoods.
What's CCNA?

Old 05-18-2021, 04:06 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,250,739 times
I feel your pain.. even if there is not a party at the house, it will be way more noisy than another other owner occupier house in the neighborhood. And every once in a while.. you get some obnoxious group of people who think they paid the money so can do whatever thay want. Meanwhile the hotels will eventually start to look shabby and run down. If you are selling a house that is next to a short term rental, you may lose potential interest.

I think you and the neighbor's should gang together via email. Everyone should complain when there is even anything close to a loud party. There may be a city web link to complain. One person complaining may not do much but a bunch of complains might get more action.

If the owner knows you are doing this and he risks losing his license.. at least you have a better chance of this guy really caring. Or better yet, he does lose his license.

Old 05-18-2021, 05:20 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltcolorado View Post
I feel your pain.. even if there is not a party at the house, it will be way more noisy than another other owner occupier house in the neighborhood. And every once in a while.. you get some obnoxious group of people who think they paid the money so can do whatever thay want. Meanwhile the hotels will eventually start to look shabby and run down. If you are selling a house that is next to a short term rental, you may lose potential interest.

I think you and the neighbor's should gang together via email. Everyone should complain when there is even anything close to a loud party. There may be a city web link to complain. One person complaining may not do much but a bunch of complains might get more action.

If the owner knows you are doing this and he risks losing his license.. at least you have a better chance of this guy really caring. Or better yet, he does lose his license.
There is no regulation of short term rentals in AZ thanks to Gov. Ducey who got a law passed several years ago that makes it illegal for cities to regulate them. That might be changing. There is now a bill before the legislature to repeal Ducey's law and subject short terms to considerably more scrutiny and regulation due to the abuses and injury to neighborhoods where they are found. It is being sponsored by Republicans so it has a decent chance of passing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: