Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 01:01 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
That would be awful if we become the new San Diego. What distinguishes San Diego from other cities, besides their high CoL, is the ocean and fantastic weather. We have neither.
We will never become the new SD. Apples and oranges comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 01:04 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
So say it.
You and others have eloquently pointed it out in various ways but it needs to be said that cheap does not always mean better.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:13 PM

111 posts, read 73,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
We will never become the new SD. Apples and oranges comparison.
I think that is what the OP is saying. I thought I read that somewhere in one of his/her posts.

Old 05-19-2021, 01:42 PM

3,328 posts, read 2,271,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuaTree101 View Post
I’m not even sure what you mean with this comment. Seems bizarre and out of place.
No doubt. Going by that the subsequent post, I think someone peed in the fluffster's cereal this morning.

One more for my Ignore list...

Old 05-19-2021, 02:32 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,357,555 times
Things will slow in AZ within 5 years for two reasons:
1. Lack of water, my opinion basically for all states south of Oregon and west of Texas.
2. People who moved there realizing they don't like desert environments.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:45 PM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Arizona is not affordable, Florida is not affordable. The whole damn sunbelt region is no longer what would be considered affordable. Unless you have the money to pay the costs that keep rising, then its best to avoid these areas.

I've been seeing a few videos on the Phoenix area concerning rents. There is a man there that goes to a number of the cities in the Metro and looks at Apts. He goes on a tour of the apts with the leasing agents and films the whole tour. I cannot believe that people would pay the rents being charged for these places in that area. Then they still have the utilities, water, sewage and I think he said sales tax. Is that true people pay sales tax on apt rentals in Metro Phoenix. Seems odd the prices went up as fast as they did, especially increasing this year considering all that has gone on. Then again people are paying the same high rental rates in Florida. I'm glad I own a house. I don't know how people can manage, or maybe that's why so many find themselves out on the streets now days.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:49 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,662,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
El paso is still affordable. PHX is a playground for snowbirds.
Even the El Paso real estate market is heating up. They’re starting to see bidding wars.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:54 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Yep. Sadly I think you are absolutely correct. Most people say to get a better, higher paying job. What of those that cannot. Like teachers. My ex is a teacher and she makes $52k a year. How is she going to afford an apartment? No longer is she looking to buy a house. That boat has sailed. And if all her options lead to roommates, as we share custody of our daughter, I wouldn’t feel comfortable with her having some random person living under the same roof as my daughter. There’s gotta be another option.
There are other options. For some odd reason, there have been few suggestions about condo living, which is a great alternative to renting an apartment, and it's generally less expensive than buying a house. That's not to say that all condos are inexpensive, but some good deals can be found on small units (under 1,000 s.f.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
They're not SOL. That's the point. I'm not even talking about the less fortunate though. More so the mediocre who move to a place just so they can buy a bigger house than they could afford elsewhere, whose only motivation to the area is its cheapness. That doesn't add value.
That, and the weather. I could never understand the concept of uprooting and coming here just because of the climate. For one thing, it's not all that great when the summer heat is factored in. With the drought currently in critical states with possible water shortages in the near future ... I'd say the climate is one of the most asinine reasons to move here. The climate could also be our demise if any of the long term predictions come true.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:16 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Blame your president. Immigration at an all time high, and all of them are allowed to stay. Not just a few—hundreds of thousands, monthly. They all need housing, plus, they require tax dollars to live. Housing, clothing, healthcare, education (children), food stamps, interpreters, ESL classes, jobs—which dilute wages. More destruction to our quality of life.
Immigrants are causing real estate prices to skyrocket? That’s a new one! Fear-mongering is at an all time high. And speak for yourself, my quality of life is high and isn’t the least bit being destroyed. Sorry yours is, but that’s on you.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:18 PM

364 posts, read 618,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
There are other options. For some odd reason, there have been few suggestions about condo living, which is a great alternative to renting an apartment, and it's generally less expensive than buying a house. That's not to say that all condos are inexpensive, but some good deals can be found on small units (under 1,000 s.f.).

That, and the weather. I could never understand the concept of uprooting and coming here just because of the climate. For one thing, it's not all that great when the summer heat is factored in. With the drought currently in critical states with possible water shortages in the near future ... I'd say the climate is one of the most asinine reasons to move here. The climate could also be our demise if any of the long term predictions come true.

And yet 10's of thousands of people move to AZ for one reason...the climate. Do you know better than them? Evidently not. Also, I just checked....water still coming out of my faucet. Yea me

Dummy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area