Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 11:56 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Wow. You don't know anything about me. What a judgemental comment. Also, since you insist on knowing my personal business, my ex and I share custody.

The truth hurts, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 12:01 PM

13,709 posts, read 7,987,762 times
Quote:
I cannot understand the mentality of people that find comfort in others misfortune.
Oh, but some people do. Nobody asks about my properties today.... but in 2008?

Why is Phoenix called Atlantis?

Ans: Because everything is underwater.

Lots of laughs.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:14 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,759,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
The truth hurts, eh?
I know what’s wrong with you though. Something in your life is screwed up so ya gotta bag on others. I feel sorry for you. It must suck to suck and be a failure of a person. I hope people are kind to you because your life is probably a miserable nightmare hellscape. Poor you. Hey don’t give up. If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask for it.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:27 PM

111 posts, read 73,522 times
Quote:
Granted, I cannot say much on the affordability scale in comparison with other cities similar to Phoenix, as I have lived the majority of my life here. But, as someone who has been living here for nearly 30 years, I can weigh in on how this city is starting to become unaffordable, and yet, we are lauded as a destination that offers inexpensive housing and cost of living.

It is actually a bit worrisome. One can actually have a very good income and yet struggle to find affordable housing. Ten years ago if you made $50K annually, you could go a long way. Buy a house, have a nice car and still have enough money left over for the finer things in life. But in today's Phoenix, $50K guarantees NOTHING. Forget about buying that house, you will be lucky to locate an apartment with 2 bedrooms in a half decent area for under $1500 a month.

It is quite depressing really. Just for the heck of it, I decided to look up some old apartments I lived at ten years ago.

The Renaissance Apartments on 43rd ave and Thunderbird
-I lived on the third floor. One bedroom, and paid around $700-$750/month.
Today that very same floor plan is going for nearly double the price! I was shocked to see it going for
nearly $1400!

Newport Landing, which is now Paseo Park on 52nd ave and Thunderbird
-I lived on the second floor. One bedroom. Around 11 years ago I was paying $600/month.
Today they are going for around $1000. Same floor plan.

All I know, is that I wish I had jumped at the opportunity to buy a house before they started inflating housing costs nearly double what they were two years ago.
I am a Phoenix native and I started to see the changes coming to the real estate market a long time ago. It is unfortunate that you didn’t get the chance to buy when things were reasonable. As for rent, I am currently looking to find another place to rent from but, the rates are so high.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Most posts I am seeing are related to the real estate market, specifically. My post is a general consensus of CoL for Phoenix, real estate, renting, food, entertainment and anything and everything CoL related and how yesterdays salary gets you nowhere in today's economy for Phoenix. If you feel bothered by my post, do not feel as though you are compelled to contribute to the discussion.
TBH, there are a few real estate and housing posts here. I haven’t seen too many cost of living posts however.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Hmm, perhaps. The house I am currently renting sat empty for damn near a year because the out of state investor who owns the house refused to budge on the rent price. Eventually they did budge, but not until it sat vacant for like 10 or 11 months.
I imagine we will see an uptick of this in the coming future.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHLUV View Post
I was laughed at when I said that Phoenix could turn into San Diego with no beaches if a good amount of high-paying jobs don't come. Many will accept less to be in SD, I personally don't think that will happen here but the average wage is horrible compared to the COL in SD but much don't care because of the weather and lifestyle.
I’ll never understand why other cities strive to be like any Californian city. SD is beautiful. Phoenix is ugly in just about every other way, in comparison to those cities.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
Oooooo, there's a lot to be said for this.
Sure does. It makes you think that some people on here think that those less fortunate people are SOL.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Of course there's another option. It's called being full-time parents for the only person who matters, your daughter.

Don't blame "high rents" for the fallout from the screwup the two of you made of your marriage.
I’m not even sure what you mean with this comment. Seems bizarre and out of place.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:50 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuaTree101 View Post
Sure does. It makes you think that some people on here think that those less fortunate people are SOL.
They're not SOL. That's the point. I'm not even talking about the less fortunate though. More so the mediocre who move to a place just so they can buy a bigger house than they could afford elsewhere, whose only motivation to the area is its cheapness. That doesn't add value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area