U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-20-2021, 06:19 PM
 
1,681 posts, read 1,524,046 times
Reputation: 1803

Advertisements

I have a nice little orange tree that has had a very sad coronavirus year.

I called the Greenfield Citrus Nursery which has something called simply Citrus Fertilizer, which they said was sold all over. I checked with Ace, which said they have something called citrus "food," which they figure is the smae thing. But I don't know. Are "food" and "fertilizer" the same thing? Do you use something, and, if so, where do you buy it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2021, 10:33 AM
 
Location: Victory Mansions, Airstrip One
4,596 posts, read 2,881,498 times
Reputation: 5308
I fertilize 3x annually with a citrus fertilizer from Home Depot. I don't recall the brand, but it's nothing particularly exotic. Just a ratio of N-P-K that is chosen for citrus trees. Rough timing... Valentine's Day, 4th of July, Labor Day.

Deep watering with appropriate amounts of water, on an infrequent schedule, is probably more important that fertilizing (I know people who never fertilize and they get large amounts of fruit from their trees.) I expect many just have their trees on a drip system with the rest of their bushes, which is inadequate. One of my co-workers lost a tree last year, probably because it was so hot and the tree wasn't watered properly.

https://cals.arizona.edu/extension/o...irrigation.pdf

Also protect the trunk and branches that get hit with lots of sunlight. I bought some white "paint" made specifically for trees at Home Depot for this.

Last edited by hikernut; 05-21-2021 at 11:56 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2021, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Willo Historic District, Phoenix, AZ
3,105 posts, read 4,986,580 times
Reputation: 3553
Arizona's Best Citrus Food is what most people use. Available at Ace Hardware and other stores. Yes, Citrus Food is fertilizer.

This might be useful: Citrus Fertilization Chart for Arizona
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2021, 03:16 PM
Status: "is it 110 degrees yet?" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: northwest valley, az
3,195 posts, read 1,966,734 times
Reputation: 4374
"deep watering" is whats most important to trees out here in our Martian Hot climate..
at least once a month, set a hose out near your tree, with the water at a slow run, barely above a drip..let it slowly soak in for 30 minutes or so, and do this to all your trees, especially when its 100+

makes a BIG difference...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2021, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Victory Mansions, Airstrip One
4,596 posts, read 2,881,498 times
Reputation: 5308
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
"deep watering" is whats most important to trees out here in our Martian Hot climate..
at least once a month, set a hose out near your tree, with the water at a slow run, barely above a drip..let it slowly soak in for 30 minutes or so, and do this to all your trees, especially when its 100+

makes a BIG difference...
Agree it makes a big difference. Depending on the tree, though, it might take a lot more than 30 minutes. Last year I started measuring the flow rate of the trickle coming out of my hose and found I wasn't watering enough.

One other note. When using drip emitters or the hose-end trickle method, the objective is to water at the drip line... basically the farthest out extent of the tree's branches.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2021, 03:39 PM
Status: "is it 110 degrees yet?" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: northwest valley, az
3,195 posts, read 1,966,734 times
Reputation: 4374
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Agree it makes a big difference. Depending on the tree, though, it might take a lot more than 30 minutes. Last year I started measuring the flow rate of the trickle coming out of my hose and found I wasn't watering enough.

One other note. When using drip emitters or the hose-end trickle method, the objective is to water at the drip line... basically the farthest out extent of the tree's branches.
great points!

my water pressure is so high at my hose, sometimes its hard to slow it down enough so it isnt a drip, but also not a "blast"..I doubt you can actually water too much out here from april-october..

and, good point about watering at the "drip line..I actually move the hose around every 10 minutes or so, just to make sure the entire "tree area" gets some deep watering..not sure if it makes any difference, but it makes me feel like I am doing a better job!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2021, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Victory Mansions, Airstrip One
4,596 posts, read 2,881,498 times
Reputation: 5308
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
my water pressure is so high at my hose, sometimes its hard to slow it down enough so it isnt a drip, but also not a "blast"..I doubt you can actually water too much out here from april-october..
Yes, it's probably hard to water too much, although it's not good to water trees too frequently. In the link I posted earlier there are some useful watering charts. For an established tree it recommends a 2-week watering interval during the summer. Amounts of water are given on a per-day basis. The example they have highlighted is for a tree with a 14-foot canopy, which requires 29.5 gallons per day in the summer months. That translates into about 400 gallons for each bi-weekly watering! Our trees are not quite that big, but I need a couple of hundred gallons per tree and I have four trees to water.

Last edited by hikernut; 05-21-2021 at 04:27 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2021, 03:56 PM
Status: "is it 110 degrees yet?" (set 11 days ago)
 
Location: northwest valley, az
3,195 posts, read 1,966,734 times
Reputation: 4374
is there a time of day you try to do the deep watering? I try to do it early, around 6 am, but by the time it gets to all the trees, its several hours later..
I thought about doing it in the early evening, but, was concerned about evaporation, even though I am deep watering..
Still learning about watering out here in the desert, even after almost 4 years!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2021, 04:22 PM
 
Location: Victory Mansions, Airstrip One
4,596 posts, read 2,881,498 times
Reputation: 5308
Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
is there a time of day you try to do the deep watering? I try to do it early, around 6 am, but by the time it gets to all the trees, its several hours later..
I thought about doing it in the early evening, but, was concerned about evaporation, even though I am deep watering..
Still learning about watering out here in the desert, even after almost 4 years!
I don't think it matters for drip or "trickle" irrigation, which doesn't lose much to evaporation.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM
 
1,681 posts, read 1,524,046 times
Reputation: 1803
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
I fertilize 3x annually with a citrus fertilizer from Home Depot. I don't recall the brand, but it's nothing particularly exotic. Just a ratio of N-P-K that is chosen for citrus trees. Rough timing... Valentine's Day, 4th of July, Labor Day.

Deep watering with appropriate amounts of water, on an infrequent schedule, is probably more important that fertilizing (I know people who never fertilize and they get large amounts of fruit from their trees.) I expect many just have their trees on a drip system with the rest of their bushes, which is inadequate. One of my co-workers lost a tree last year, probably because it was so hot and the tree wasn't watered properly.

https://cals.arizona.edu/extension/o...irrigation.pdf

Also protect the trunk and branches that get hit with lots of sunlight. I bought some white "paint" made specifically for trees at Home Depot for this.
Thanks. Luckily, a neighbor did explain deep watering to me years ago. But anyone who tries to calculate gallons is much too obsessive for me. I decided against the white paint, because I think it looks awful, but a gardener advised me to instead not trim the shoots that grow off the lower trunk, and that seems to work fine.

Funny, I asked a few gardeners about this year in particular, since I was thinking, as you say, that this last year may have been particularly bad, but they pooh-poohed that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Arizona's Best Citrus Food is what most people use. Available at Ace Hardware and other stores. Yes, Citrus Food is fertilizer.

This might be useful: Citrus Fertilization Chart for Arizona
Thanks! I'd rather go to Ace than Home Depot, so I'll look there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
great points!

my water pressure is so high at my hose, sometimes its hard to slow it down enough so it isnt a drip, but also not a "blast"..I doubt you can actually water too much out here from april-october..

and, good point about watering at the "drip line..I actually move the hose around every 10 minutes or so, just to make sure the entire "tree area" gets some deep watering..not sure if it makes any difference, but it makes me feel like I am doing a better job!
Right, I move the hose after an hour or so to the other side, and I'm sure it must help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top