U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 11:36 AM

1,042 posts, read 537,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
Just in the immediate, walkable area there is a Mexican place, a Thai place, and a few fast-food chains. Sorry, no Michelin-starred eateries, but plenty of places that normal people eat at every day.

Concrete jungle? They'll be in the neighborhood, not living in a strip mall on Greenway. A clean, safe, and quiet neighborhood.
The only people out walking in that area are meth heads and homeless. People just don't go for leisurely strolls in that hood. Lived there for six years - I speak from experience.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 11:51 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,297,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The one truly scuzzy area today is an area that is commonly being called "The Blade", due to it's shape on a map resembling a knife blade. That area is 27th Ave on the west, I-17 on the East, Indian School on the south and the "Blade tip"/North end is where 27th Ave ends at the southbound 17 frontage road (in the Butler Dr vicinity)
Ah the curve of the 17 right at the top there, I totally see it. I'm not sure it's how I would personally border in the worst over there but, I have no doubt that 27th Ave. transverses some of the worst neighborhoods that our state has to offer.

Old 05-25-2021, 12:05 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
26,110 posts, read 10,433,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Ah the curve of the 17 right at the top there, I totally see it. I'm not sure it's how I would personally border in the worst over there but, I have no doubt that 27th Ave. transverses some of the worst neighborhoods that our state has to offer.
That area is where all the prostitution moved after MCSO cleaned up Van Buren St in East Phoenix. And that's not all that goes on over there either. Stuff always happens at the 7-11 at 27th Ave&Indian School and at the QT at 27th Ave&Northern, usually at night

Old 05-25-2021, 01:23 PM

499 posts, read 106,170 times
Quote:
That area is where all the prostitution moved after MCSO cleaned up Van Buren St in East Phoenix. And that's not all that goes on over there either. Stuff always happens at the 7-11 at 27th Ave&Indian School and at the QT at 27th Ave&Northern, usually at night
That's not the area OP is asking about. 27th Ave at Greenway is not 27th Ave at Indian School, or Northern, or by Metrocenter. It's several miles to the north of those areas. Country Gables is an older, but perfectly livable neighborhood. Crime in the area is likely to be car break-ins at apartment complex parking lots and the occasional late-night robbery attempt at the Circle K. Not the drive-bys and home invasions that the local news likes to sensationalize and some people on C-D get their panties in a bunch over.

OP didn't say why those three places were the options. Could be a home-swap club with limited availability. Could be budget. Could be those are near the places where Uncle Vanya, Cousin Vinny, and Sister Mary Elephant live.

Whatever the reason, those were the options for which information was requested.

Country Gables is a lot closer to everything for day-to-day living.

San Tan will probably be more quiet, and be a larger house. Farther from everything.

Apache Junction. Just NO.

Old 05-25-2021, 02:11 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,297,718 times
Quote:
Yeah, I did a pretty good sized job on the Urban Greenhouse a few years back. Was an interesting spot to work, the people in the area where a constant nuisance. I have no doubt in my mind that is the worst neighborhood in the valley. I'd just make the blade longer and take it several miles south down 27th. Maybe to Buckeye Rd.

Old 05-25-2021, 06:28 PM
Status: "Transplanted Californian in Alabama" (set 14 days ago)

689 posts, read 1,448,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
Going to spend the winter in the valley and we're looking at 1. North Phoenix, just off I-17 in an area called Country Gables (off Greenway rd). 2. Apache Junction on the far west side. 3. Johnson Ranch in San Tan valley.

I would say, with kids, safety is our main priority. We don't mind driving around to get what we need, as we'd only leave the house a few times a week.
I'm goin to be honest with you, I don't know how old your kids are but if mine were still school age or younger, I wouldn't move to any of those places. I-17 at Greenway, MAYBE. The others, NO. Too far out (SanTan) too old (Apache Junction West). For the record, I'm OLD but very young thinking

I know those areas are less expensive, but SanTan gets the huge brunt of the dust storms, and it's really far from everything. Yeah, lots of new stuff going in, don't care. Still too new. Apache Junction might be OK since it's closer to the metro. Greenway.... not too bad but not really great either. There are really good pockets but it's very close to some dicey areas.

Where else have you looked/considered?

Old 05-25-2021, 09:16 PM

17,832 posts, read 39,209,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
The OP said he wanted a safe area for his family and only planned on leaving his house a few times a month. Based on those requirements, who cares how far out STV is? 10 minute drive and you're at the Queen Creek Target. Who cares?

Not to mention, most of the communities out there have large green belts and playgrounds for kids. Possibly even a community pool. It's a no-brainer for what he is looking for.
For the short term, yes, it's probably fine if they don't need more than basic shopping all winter. I'd be curious to know what the actual housing option they are being offered out there.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:44 PM

4,150 posts, read 8,018,708 times
Quote:
That area is where all the prostitution moved after MCSO cleaned up Van Buren St in East Phoenix
Thanks for the heads up. Are rates still the same?

Old 05-26-2021, 03:23 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
26,110 posts, read 10,433,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Thanks for the heads up. Are rates still the same?
Couldn't tell you, but there's a channel called Lizard Hinter on YouTube (Lot Lizard is a slang term for hookers), and the guy drives around The Blade spotting prostitutes all the time. Even talks to them sometimes. That's how I knew.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCeaqXvOAYBQSsx7Q5t1ceng

Old 05-26-2021, 07:43 AM

1,042 posts, read 537,988 times
OP, have you considered Surprise? You should be able to find "cheaper" rates and there would be a lot more to do. Still far out, but much more developed than San Tan Valley. Safe too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area