Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2021, 03:00 AM

1,096 posts, read 729,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Bottom line, if you’re so worried about safety, pony up and pay for an affluent area, not BFE San Tan or Apache Junction. It seems like you’re incredibly concerned about crime, but not willing to pay for the isolation you seem desperate for.
Are you backtracking on your claim that most areas around Phoenix are safe now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2021, 08:44 AM

525 posts, read 533,328 times
To the OP's original question: I would pick San Tan Valley.

Old 05-23-2021, 11:17 AM

9,189 posts, read 16,538,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDproAV View Post
Are you backtracking on your claim that most areas around Phoenix are safe now?
Not at all. Look up the definition of the word “most”. It’s accurate. I was giving you a suggestion to appease the paranoia about crime. To have the best odds of being totally isolated, pony up for a nicer area (which clearly won’t guarantee anything, of course). Or, quit worrying so much as just about anywhere around here will be plenty safe. Again, the area is largely a massive suburb.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:30 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,219,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
To the OP's original question: I would pick San Tan Valley.
Exactly. Based on what the OP wants, San Tan Valley is the only answer here. AJ is a hard no. The area off the 17 is very hit or miss. I used to live up there. Some very nice areas surrounded by some very scary places. Not knowing what specific community he is referring to, I would play it safe and go with STV. Sure, it's out there, but a short enough drive to all the amenities of Gilbert.

Old 05-24-2021, 09:27 PM

640 posts, read 949,582 times
You guys are crazy and my head hurts just reading all this back and forth.

Old 05-24-2021, 11:25 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,187,779 times
No on Apache Junction, for a number of reasons. San Tan Valley is just too far out there. I've made several trips out there doing volunteer work, and can't imagine living out that far even for a few months. Up to 40 miles from my house in south Tempe. Would be considered safe, though. As far as "Country Gables", I'm not sure what you mean. Country Gables is the name of a street north of Thunderbird Road that appears in many neighborhoods across the grid street system here in the Valley. Close to I17 on that alignment would not be great, but it depends on how close. There are some nice areas in that alignment not all that far from I-17.

How did you end up with those three areas?

Old 05-25-2021, 02:31 AM

962 posts, read 461,798 times
There's a neighborhood called Country Gables just to the west of I-17 and just south of Greenway between 29th and 33rd Aves. (as described in Post #1).

I was over that way this past Saturday so I drove through out of curiosity. Smallish 1960's/70's houses on smallish lots, one-car or no garage, well-kept yards, decent cars in the driveways (no Beemers, but also no beaters). Quick walk to restaurants, convenience store, etc. up on Greenway. Nice park/playground with a bunch of kids.

If that was my budget range I wouldn't hesitate.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryCat View Post
There's a neighborhood called Country Gables just to the west of I-17 and just south of Greenway between 29th and 33rd Aves. (as described in Post #1).

I was over that way this past Saturday so I drove through out of curiosity. Smallish 1960's/70's houses on smallish lots, one-car or no garage, well-kept yards, decent cars in the driveways (no Beemers, but also no beaters). Quick walk to restaurants, convenience store, etc. up on Greenway. Nice park/playground with a bunch of kids.

If that was my budget range I wouldn't hesitate.
What restaurants would you be walking to in that area? I used to live on the other side of the 17. The area you are describing is pretty trashy. It's a concrete jungle. Very unappealing. I wouldn't say it's "unsafe" but it's definitely not very nice.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
No on Apache Junction, for a number of reasons. San Tan Valley is just too far out there. I've made several trips out there doing volunteer work, and can't imagine living out that far even for a few months. Up to 40 miles from my house in south Tempe. Would be considered safe, though. As far as "Country Gables", I'm not sure what you mean. Country Gables is the name of a street north of Thunderbird Road that appears in many neighborhoods across the grid street system here in the Valley. Close to I17 on that alignment would not be great, but it depends on how close. There are some nice areas in that alignment not all that far from I-17.

How did you end up with those three areas?
The OP said he wanted a safe area for his family and only planned on leaving his house a few times a month. Based on those requirements, who cares how far out STV is? 10 minute drive and you're at the Queen Creek Target. Who cares?

Not to mention, most of the communities out there have large green belts and playgrounds for kids. Possibly even a community pool. It's a no-brainer for what he is looking for.

Old 05-25-2021, 11:16 AM

962 posts, read 461,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
What restaurants would you be walking to in that area? I used to live on the other side of the 17. The area you are describing is pretty trashy. It's a concrete jungle. Very unappealing. I wouldn't say it's "unsafe" but it's definitely not very nice.
Just in the immediate, walkable area there is a Mexican place, a Thai place, and a few fast-food chains. Sorry, no Michelin-starred eateries, but plenty of places that normal people eat at every day.

Concrete jungle? They'll be in the neighborhood, not living in a strip mall on Greenway. A clean, safe, and quiet neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area