U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 03:11 PM

3,442 posts, read 2,414,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
It’s weird that someone so incredibly prescient, wise, and extraordinarily well traveled failed to notice that the out of control housing prices have hit every major metro in the US and is in no way limited to Phoenix. Go to just about any city data forum and you will find multiple threads lamenting the insane housing market. This includes cities in places like Ohio and Alabama - not exactly international hotspots. This unhealthy and unsustainable market is being fueled by artificial pressures imposed by the fed which include unprecedentedly low rates and significant inflation fears leading investors to park money in real estate as a hedge against the weakening dollar.
It's more pronounced in the west and only a handful of US metros have matched median price increases seen in Phoenix since the low experienced in 2012, at the bottom of the housing market crash. Outside of the west it's really only the shining stars of Austin, Atlanta, Columbus, Nashville and Miami on the same levels as Phoenix.

Cleveland: Up 78.4%
Cincinnati: Up 72.3%
Toledo: Up 66.8%
Columbus: Up 93%
Minneapolis: Up 63%
Pittsburgh: Up 38%
Chicago: 77%

Boston: Up 74%
New York: Up 51%
Philly: Up 48%
Baltimore: Up 34%
DC: Up 45%

Dallas: Up 80%
Houston: Up 69.5%
San Antonio: Up 55.6%
St. Louis: Up 55%
OKC: Up 35%
Austin: Up 97%
Nashville: Up 94%
Miami: Up 101%
Atlanta: 115%
Las Vegas: Up 122.6%
Denver: Up 99%

Phoenix: Up 98.6%
Seattle: Up 117%
Los Angeles: Up 92%
San Diego: Up 91%
San Fran: Up 110%
San Jose: Up 117%
Riverside: Up 111%
Portland: Up 96%
Boise: Up 147%

https://www.kiplinger.com/article/re...tro-areas.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2021, 03:17 PM

3,442 posts, read 2,414,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndroidAZ View Post
When was the last time you had to tent your home in Phoenix? I'll wait for an answer. Let's see some photos of you tenting your home as well.

As someone who has had to pay thousands to tent a home to treat termites in California, your Texas loving, AZ hating personality really amuses me. I'll look forward to your future snide retorts. You just can't seem to let something go and acknowledge that you are wrong or know less than other people on some subjects.
I'd rank us middle of the road on termite issues, not the best as they do live in warm climates over cold but they also prefer dampness which luckily we don't have a lot of. Terminex seems to back that up.

"They thrive in warm locations. That's why southern states tend to have more of a problem, while the only state where termites don't live is Alaska.

Termites also thrive in humid and damp environments. That's why the arid and dry regions of the southwest tend to have less of a termite problem than the deep south from Louisiana to Georgia."

Old 05-25-2021, 03:17 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,619,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
He's been unavailable to comment for a few days because he's in traction at the hospital as a result of the shiatsu type back patting he was giving himself.
Legit LOL

Old 05-25-2021, 04:33 PM
Status: "Transplanted Californian in Alabama" (set 16 days ago)

698 posts, read 1,450,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
It’s weird that someone so incredibly prescient, wise, and extraordinarily well traveled failed to notice that the out of control housing prices have hit every major metro in the US and is in no way limited to Phoenix. Go to just about any city data forum and you will find multiple threads lamenting the insane housing market. This includes cities in places like Ohio and Alabama - not exactly international hotspots. This unhealthy and unsustainable market is being fueled by artificial pressures imposed by the fed which include unprecedentedly low rates and significant inflation fears leading investors to park money in real estate as a hedge against the weakening dollar.
I just moved to a small town in Alabama, near Huntsville. Building is going on all over. People are moving in left and right. I've personally run into 5-6 other California parties like myself who have moved here in the past year. A house that was $100K 9 months ago is $200K now. Now that the Covid restrictions are relaxed, there is a lot more traffic on the north-south highway (231) running through Huntsville. It used to be so nice, but things are going to get worse traffic wise. Happening all over the country, of course.

But yeah, if you wanna buy a cheap house near a major hub, Huntsville is still pretty nice.

Be prepared for gloomy winters (think Oregon), Tennessee Valley weather patterns (frequent deadly tornadoes) and BUG. LOTS of them. I'm so looking forward to the humidity this summer. But overall I'm happy here. My car insurance went down almost $100. Gas was $1.71/gallon last November. It's now up to $2.89.

Living rural has its own problems, tried it recently, didn't like it. Life is just like that: never perfect or even optimal a lot of the time.

By the way, I lived at Tatum and Shea for 6 years.

Old 05-25-2021, 04:50 PM

249 posts, read 152,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I just moved to a small town in Alabama, near Huntsville. Building is going on all over. People are moving in left and right. I've personally run into 5-6 other California parties like myself who have moved here in the past year. A house that was $100K 9 months ago is $200K now. Now that the Covid restrictions are relaxed, there is a lot more traffic on the north-south highway (231) running through Huntsville. It used to be so nice, but things are going to get worse traffic wise. Happening all over the country, of course.

But yeah, if you wanna buy a cheap house near a major hub, Huntsville is still pretty nice.

Be prepared for gloomy winters (think Oregon), Tennessee Valley weather patterns (frequent deadly tornadoes) and BUG. LOTS of them. I'm so looking forward to the humidity this summer. But overall I'm happy here. My car insurance went down almost $100. Gas was $1.71/gallon last November. It's now up to $2.89.

Living rural has its own problems, tried it recently, didn't like it. Life is just like that: never perfect or even optimal a lot of the time.

By the way, I lived at Tatum and Shea for 6 years.
Huntsville is a hidden gem imo because of the heavy govt engineering community. I went down there for training/job before going overseas and decided to get a couple of investment properties because I figured it would grow more. A good decision so far.....enjoy that humidity, sweet tea, and bbq

Old 05-25-2021, 06:00 PM

51 posts, read 22,691 times
When you title your thread with “Hate to say it”, you don’t.

The only thing missing is “neener, neener, neener.”.

Old 05-25-2021, 06:20 PM
Status: "Transplanted Californian in Alabama" (set 16 days ago)

698 posts, read 1,450,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHLUV View Post
Huntsville is a hidden gem imo because of the heavy govt engineering community. I went down there for training/job before going overseas and decided to get a couple of investment properties because I figured it would grow more. A good decision so far.....enjoy that humidity, sweet tea, and bbq
And fried food!!!! LOL I like the area. People are more polite, and I can get doctor's appointments so much more easily. Nice dog parks, easy downtown, Decatur has a gorgeous huge dog park with a pretty lake, great parking when you wanna take a drive.... things are generally cheaper though not a whole lot so don't be expectin' it y'all who are reading this contemplating Huntsville. no MA'AM lol. I love the way everybody says yes ma'am and no ma'am with their Alabama accent. Just love it.

AND WE'RE GETTING A TRADER'S IN THE FALL!!!

Old 05-25-2021, 09:47 PM

3,072 posts, read 2,012,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
And fried food!!!! LOL I like the area. People are more polite, and I can get doctor's appointments so much more easily. Nice dog parks, easy downtown, Decatur has a gorgeous huge dog park with a pretty lake, great parking when you wanna take a drive.... things are generally cheaper though not a whole lot so don't be expectin' it y'all who are reading this contemplating Huntsville. no MA'AM lol. I love the way everybody says yes ma'am and no ma'am with their Alabama accent. Just love it.

AND WE'RE GETTING A TRADER'S IN THE FALL!!!

Congrats on the move. I was impressed with the houses in Madison. What a nice suburb.

Old 05-25-2021, 10:38 PM

344 posts, read 466,340 times
Man I am glad to be back in the owner class and OUT of the renter class.

Old 05-26-2021, 09:49 PM

6,881 posts, read 10,049,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I'd rank us middle of the road on termite issues, not the best as they do live in warm climates over cold but they also prefer dampness which luckily we don't have a lot of. Terminex seems to back that up.

"They thrive in warm locations. That's why southern states tend to have more of a problem, while the only state where termites don't live is Alaska.

Termites also thrive in humid and damp environments. That's why the arid and dry regions of the southwest tend to have less of a termite problem than the deep south from Louisiana to Georgia."
Practically anywhere can have termites, but Arizona certainly has its problems with them. Anybody who claims that our summer heat kills termites is badly mistaken, especially when one of the most destructive species is most noticeable during the summer monsoon ... which coincides with the hottest time of year on average. There's a website which identifies Arizona has having 4 different termite species, and one of the most prevalent is the Desert Subterranean termite.
https://www.termite.com/termites/termites-arizona.html

My house had to be treated twice for termites, and I have the bills to prove it. I know somebody who had extensive wood frame & drywall damage from termites. Obviously our heat & dryness wasn't enough to reduce the problem. A homeowner who has lived in a house for any lengthy amount of time will likely have experienced some form of infestation. It's not a matter of if, but WHEN. Chances are that if a person doesn't currently have a termite problem, he/she is living in a newer build, or is just extremely lucky.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude 1516 View Post
When you title your thread with “Hate to say it”, you don’t.

The only thing missing is “neener, neener, neener.”.
Again, I say: consider the source.

Last edited by Valley Native; 05-26-2021 at 10:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area