U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 10:13 AM

5,415 posts, read 3,341,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Lakers will win.
I read a book by a former NBA official who was fired for passing along inside info to a gambler. His book mentions the obvious such as fans don't spend money to see the superstars sitting on the bench. So calls will usually go their way. When the author was new to the league the NBA decided to crack down spin moves to the basket. Too much walking. So, when he called a walking violation against M. Jordan after he spun to the hoop and scored. Jordan wasn't angry. He was more baffled by the call but Phil Jackson was upset and started yelling. The author yelled back Chicago had gotten the memo about walking violations to which Jackson replied, Yes, but not on him. Not on HIM!

Also obvious: When in doubt the home team will get the call. The NBA wants fans to go home happy.

Now the big one... TV ratings. What to do when it's the Phoenix Suns vs. the LA Lakers. No contest. The networks want LA. Officials aren't going to cheat... but LA will get the close calls. Now referees aren't told told to do this but they understand. And if you want to be on the playoff schedule the following season... you blow the whistle accordingly

The author mentions a playoff series LA vs. favored Sacramento in which LA won. A lot of screaming was done by Sacramento about the fix being in. Not exactly a "fix" but LA is a much bigger media market than Sacramento and there were a number of questionable calls. Always in favor of the Lakers.

But back to the author. What info. was he passing along to the gambler? Information which comes from knowing who will be officiating a particular game. Referees will hold a grudge against a player or coach. Knowing an official is pissed off at Phil Jackson for example might help with the point spread.

Last edited by john3232; 05-28-2021 at 11:23 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 10:31 AM

567 posts, read 286,668 times
Some truth, but if things were so LA oriented, how come they went without a football team for 21 seasons (1995-2015)?

Old 05-28-2021, 10:45 AM

9,968 posts, read 13,579,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Some truth, but if things were so LA oriented, how come they went without a football team for 21 seasons (1995-2015)?
Not enough private money to build a world class stadium........

Old 05-28-2021, 11:53 AM

3,448 posts, read 2,435,046 times
Quote:
Lakers will win.
Golden State should have knocked them in the play-in round but oh well. Then again, how could the Lakers not win with the level of help they get from the referees and King Leflop? I could not careless about a team that wins with the level of flopping and non-stop whining this Lakers team has. I have infinitely more respect for our Phoenix Suns who actually earn their accomplishments, often times with the odds stacked against them as a small-market team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czq4NN0la6w

Old 05-30-2021, 05:08 PM

111 posts, read 65,544 times
Quote:
Lakers will win.
LeFlop + The Refs just couldn't pull it off today.

SUNS WIN!!!!!!!!!

Series tied two a piece. Advantage Suns back in Phoenix on Tuesday in front of what I hear, almost 17,000 allowed in the arena.

It was crazy loud in the Suns arena with about 11,000. Tuesday should be deafening.

Old 05-31-2021, 06:04 PM

6,906 posts, read 10,081,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Not enough private money to build a world class stadium........
But observe what poor little podunk L.A. has now: 2 NFL teams, 2 NBA teams, 2 MLB teams, and 2 NHL teams in the region. They even have major league soccer, which is something the Phoenix sports market has yet to accomplish (although I was hoping the Rising could become MLS sooner than later).

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTelecommuter View Post
LeFlop + The Refs just couldn't pull it off today.

SUNS WIN!!!!!!!!!

Series tied two a piece. Advantage Suns back in Phoenix on Tuesday in front of what I hear, almost 17,000 allowed in the arena.

It was crazy loud in the Suns arena with about 11,000. Tuesday should be deafening.
Yep, the Suns have a very loyal following (even though most media outlets favor the Lakers). They have the home court advantage tomorrow, so I'm hopeful that they can win and put the Lakers out to pasture!

Old 06-01-2021, 09:28 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,793,834 times
Woooo!
I am loving this game five!
Really impressed with this Phoenix team. I love my Spurs, but watching the Suns slap around crybaby Lebron and the Fakers, brings me great joy! Rooting for you guys to go all the way. 36-66 Suns at the half!

Old 06-01-2021, 10:28 PM

5,415 posts, read 3,341,100 times
Go SUNS!!!

Old 06-02-2021, 01:41 PM

3,448 posts, read 2,435,046 times
The energy at the game last night was through the roof. Love seeing our original valley team in the playoffs again.

Old 06-02-2021, 07:14 PM

1,157 posts, read 1,303,851 times
We just need to win 1 more game! Tomorrow will be huge, keep riding the momentum guys! Go Suns!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area