Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 12:54 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times

Advertisements

There hasn't been a great deal of chatter about how awesome the Suns have been lately. They're ranked #2 in the west, and have beaten the odds of all the doubters from early on. It's their best season in over a decade, and the first time they've made it to the playoffs in that length of time. They're now facing the Lakers in what many say will make or break the team, but I think #2 has a pretty good chance of beating #7, even despite the speculation that L.A. has better chances. We'll see what happens, but the fact that the Suns have made it this far is encouraging news. They have a pretty good chance of going to the finals if they maintain their record and don't slack off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 08:47 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
There hasn't been a great deal of chatter about how awesome the Suns have been lately. They're ranked #2 in the west, and have beaten the odds of all the doubters from early on. It's their best season in over a decade, and the first time they've made it to the playoffs in that length of time. They're now facing the Lakers in what many say will make or break the team, but I think #2 has a pretty good chance of beating #7, even despite the speculation that L.A. has better chances. We'll see what happens, but the fact that the Suns have made it this far is encouraging news. They have a pretty good chance of going to the finals if they maintain their record and don't slack off.
An added bonus is that if the Suns persist all the way to the finals, they'll bring people (mostly vaccinated, I hope) back downtown. A lot has changed over the past 15 months, and much of it has been for the better with a net gain in restaurants. People who have been working from home and not coming downtown for events in over a year will get to see some of the new construction, new businesses, and overall improvements to the center of the city.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:06 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
I grew up a Lakers fan in the early 80's and that bond is impossible to break so I still consider myself a Lakers fan. Having said that I find many Lakers fans to be insufferable and I don't like the way the league facilitated the Lakers AD deal so at this point I don't care if they win or lose. If the Suns win the series I'll root for them the rest of the way.

Old 05-27-2021, 01:03 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

Yes, I've managed to get to a couple of games this year and watching DA, Book and Point God together has brought me back to the Nash/Stat/Matrix days which was a blast as well. As Phoenix sports luck would have it of course, CP3 gets injured in game 1 making this whole playoff run just that much harder. But I'm still enjoying every minute of watching these young suns grow.

Great post!

Old 05-27-2021, 04:22 PM

13,714 posts, read 7,987,762 times
Where's (a young) Connie Hawkins and Charlie Scott when you need them.

Old 05-27-2021, 10:46 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,419,895 times
The Sun's fans seemed to have the most class of the Valley teams, going back to when I first moved to PHX in 95. Thought the people waving the sticks at the games was obnoxious, but it was great to lock the door and watch on the Tele.

Old 05-27-2021, 11:49 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,400 times
Lakers will win.

Old 05-28-2021, 12:02 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
An added bonus is that if the Suns persist all the way to the finals, they'll bring people (mostly vaccinated, I hope) back downtown. A lot has changed over the past 15 months, and much of it has been for the better with a net gain in restaurants. People who have been working from home and not coming downtown for events in over a year will get to see some of the new construction, new businesses, and overall improvements to the center of the city.
Yes, and the Suns arena was recently renovated, which is another added bonus. Just the fact that the arena is no longer called Talking Stick is good enough news for me! I only wish the networks would wake up and get on board with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I grew up a Lakers fan in the early 80's and that bond is impossible to break so I still consider myself a Lakers fan. Having said that I find many Lakers fans to be insufferable and I don't like the way the league facilitated the Lakers AD deal so at this point I don't care if they win or lose. If the Suns win the series I'll root for them the rest of the way.
The way I see it, LeBron James is one of the biggest jerks in NBA history, and even some Lakers fans have said the same thing. The Suns suffered 2 disappointing losses in a row to the Lakers, but I still think they have a chance of heading to the finals if they play like they did during the majority of the season.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:07 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I never understood why teams kept their names after the franchise is sold. Minneapolis Lakers made sense. They should have changed the name once they arrived in LA. Kind of like the Cardinals. Certainly, the Phoenix Suns franchise name makes sense.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:42 AM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I never understood why teams kept their names after the franchise is sold. Minneapolis Lakers made sense. They should have changed the name once they arrived in LA. Kind of like the Cardinals. Certainly, the Phoenix Suns franchise name makes sense.
The Utah Jazz is another example. While I'm sure there are some jazz fans and musicians in Salt Lake City, that type of music has never really been associated with Utah. The name made a lot more sense in New Orleans, where the team originated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area