Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2021, 10:12 PM

3 posts, read 6,787 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My family is moving to Goodyear, Arizona this summer. We will be staying in an apartment until our new home is finished being built. We have visited once and really enjoyed the area and it’s potential. Can anyone give their opinion on the Estrella Commons area? We have registered our two elementary school-aged boys at Scott L. Libby Elementary in Litchfield Park because it seemed like the best public option in the area. It seems a lot better than the Avondale Elementary School District, which would be our home district. We are also on the waitlist for BASIS - Goodyear and have been accepted to Legacy Traditional. Does anyone have any guidance as to what schools are the best for a middle class family in Goodyear? Should we go charter and stay away from public or visa-versa?
While I’m here, does anyone know anything about working at Amazon? Is it pretty easy to get on there and how is the work?
I can’t wait for our move to The Valley and welcome any advice, opinions, and/or guidance!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2021, 05:05 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,472,476 times
For school choice, you'll get a range of opinions around here. It depends on what you are looking for. We sent our kids to Basis-Phoenix and can't be happier with the results. Though it is a rigorous academic grind and not suited for children who also want to focus on athletics or the arts. Our youngest son's class started with over 150 students their freshman year and by the time he graduated there were about 60 left. But of the 60 that were left, 3 were admitted to actual Ivy League schools, another 10 into the next tier (Stanford, U of Chicago, etc...), a few more into tough to get into state colleges like Michigan or U of California schools. One appointment to the Naval Academy and the rest pretty much got full ride scholarships to the Arizona school of their choice. If your child is going to be a jock or involved with band or drama along with wanting a typical high school experience, Basis is not going to work out well.

Old 05-30-2021, 08:58 PM

3 posts, read 6,787 times
Thank you for your response! That gives me a lot to think about, which is good. I’m really struggling with whether to send them to Scott L Libby (about 9 mins from us) or BASIS - Goodyear Primary, should we be admitted. Our home & apartment will be in Avondale Elementary School District, but we weren’t as impressed with their schools, so we applied and were accepted to attend Scott L. Libby in the Litchfield Elementary School District. The boys are going into the 4th and 5th grades. The older is in an advanced learning program for more accelerated kids and the younger is an athlete and social butterfly. Sounds like maybe BASIS is right for one of them?

Last edited by lmackey22; 05-30-2021 at 09:01 PM.. Reason: None

Old 05-30-2021, 09:41 PM

3,822 posts, read 9,472,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmackey22 View Post
The older is in an advanced learning program for more accelerated kids and the younger is an athlete and social butterfly. Sounds like maybe BASIS is right for one of them?
Sounds like it. For sports my kids did cross country at Basis, instills teamwork, no lifelong injuries from contact sports and gives them something that they can still pursue their entire adult life.

What my children told me is that many of their ex-classmates left Basis because they were ranked 50th in their class at Basis. But transfer to their local high school and immediately they are valedictorian material and put them in the running for more scholarships.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area