U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 08:43 PM

15,458 posts, read 26,832,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
The old adage “you get what you paid for” comes to mind. A person can definitely find cheaper premiums, but God help you if you ever have to file a claim.

I’m not going to call out certain companies in this forum, but I used to cringe when I would get a claim where the other driver was a member of a few problematic insurance companies that I had previous experiences with. Some of these companies are all about denying coverage and saying no to everything. It’s all about money and not caring about your members in their time of need. In some claims, our company even treated the other driver better than their own company did.

Another thing I learned is that there are literally hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of insurance companies out there, most of which most of us have never heard of. So be careful when choosing who insures you, and even if it costs a few bucks more per month, definitely go with the higher rated company.

My wife was an insurance adjuster handling workers compensation claims. I was a corporate risk manager among other things.

On a couple of occasions, we have had several small fender benders where the other person was at fault. We have had some very interesting encounters with some of the low-ball insurers. One insurer claimed that they did not insure the other driver even though there was a lot of documentation from the driver as well as the other driver was claiming that he did. That was quickly resolved by having the young man call the insurance company and letting them know that if the issue was not resolved, that he would file a bad faith claim with the insurance commissioner. We were compensated in sever days.

Personally, I prefer to use independent agents yo buy my insurance and have them shop the rates every two to three years. My preference has been to use highly rated, Midwestern based insurance companies that are known for excellent service. There are a number of them but not all write business in Arizona.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2021, 04:10 PM

85 posts, read 35,303 times
Moving from OR to AZ and my rate went up about 33%. Most of the increase was in the comprehensive part of it. Ended up amounting to a $40/mo increase. 28M, no accidents, 2020 Audi S3, pretty much max coverage - 160/mo. Probably could shop around and get a bit lower, but I just went for ease of transferring over with the same company; I'll revisit in a few months once I get settled in. Would like to switch to pay-per-mile, but want to stick with a reputable carrier and have full coverage.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:18 PM

8,246 posts, read 14,218,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
I had AAA in CA and it was 660 / year for the car I had at the time (2009 G37 sedan). When I moved to AZ in 2014, they wanted to raise it to 2400 / year! They said "lots of accidents and thefts in AZ" blah blah blah. I read a suggestion somewhere to try Geico. Got the rate down to 855! Same exact coverage. Went through the online tool and never had to get on the phone with a real person. It was super.

25k/50k medical stuff
25k property
25k/50k uninsured
25k/50k under-insured
250 comprehensive
500 collision
roadside
35/day for 30 days rental reimbursement

Had a claim 4 years ago when a giant tire came flipping toward me from underneath the car in front of me on the freeway when passing through L.A. on the way home to AZ and it was very, very smooth, pleasant, and hassle free. Person on the phone was stupendously nice, helpful, and thorough.
Since a Geico policy is for 6 months. Is that $855 for 6 months and not 1 year?

Old 06-09-2021, 07:22 PM

8,246 posts, read 14,218,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantstofry View Post
Moving from OR to AZ and my rate went up about 33%. Most of the increase was in the comprehensive part of it. Ended up amounting to a $40/mo increase. 28M, no accidents, 2020 Audi S3, pretty much max coverage - 160/mo. Probably could shop around and get a bit lower, but I just went for ease of transferring over with the same company; I'll revisit in a few months once I get settled in. Would like to switch to pay-per-mile, but want to stick with a reputable carrier and have full coverage.
As far as car insurance goes Oregon has fairly reasonable rates. When I left Oregon for Florida my rates went up at least 50%, for the same coverages I had with State Farm. I switched to Geico and the rates still went up but not nearly as much as with State Farm.

Old 06-10-2021, 07:40 AM

737 posts, read 724,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Since a Geico policy is for 6 months. Is that $855 for 6 months and not 1 year?
Sorry, should have clarified. Since AAA was 1 year policy, I meant that Geico was 850ish for a year too to keep it apples to apples. But yes, 6 month policies, so it was actually 425ish for a 6 month policy.

And actually, I had it backwards! I just looked up my historic policy information, and it was actually AAA that was 855 for the year in Santa Clara (and they wanted 2400 for that same coverage in Mesa!!!), and Geico was 360 for 6 months in Mesa, so translating that up to 720 for the year.

It's now up to 1300 every 6 months, but that's with a 2009 Matrix, a 2019 Altima, and a 2021 Odyssey, and with two drivers (looking at the itemized coverage, the Odyssey is actually $30 cheaper than the Altima ). Same coverage as above. When I first started driving at 18 and drove a crappy 3 year midsize Chevrolet at the same, I paid that same 1300 for 6 months through Farmers in Santa Clara, CA.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:06 PM

85 posts, read 35,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
As far as car insurance goes Oregon has fairly reasonable rates. When I left Oregon for Florida my rates went up at least 50%, for the same coverages I had with State Farm. I switched to Geico and the rates still went up but not nearly as much as with State Farm.
Yeah that's what I'd seen when I looked into it more. Oh well. I am moving to a bit denser area compared to where I live in OR so I can imagine that increases likelihood of claims.

Old 06-18-2021, 09:04 AM

58 posts, read 31,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I like to read about stories where people had a good claims experience, so thanks for that.

Many people seem to think that all insurance companies are the same, and a person should shop around for the lowest premiums possible. Unfortunately, this is the wrong way to think.

The old adage “you get what you paid for” comes to mind. A person can definitely find cheaper premiums, but God help you if you ever have to file a claim.

I’m not going to call out certain companies in this forum, but I used to cringe when I would get a claim where the other driver was a member of a few problematic insurance companies that I had previous experiences with. Some of these companies are all about denying coverage and saying no to everything. It’s all about money and not caring about your members in their time of need. In some claims, our company even treated the other driver better than their own company did.

Another thing I learned is that there are literally hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of insurance companies out there, most of which most of us have never heard of. So be careful when choosing who insures you, and even if it costs a few bucks more per month, definitely go with the higher rated company.
I couldn't agree more! I work in the business of automotive and collision repair. I'll tell you a little secret about the biz:
BODY SHOPS DON'T REPAIR CARS, INSURANCE COMPANIES DO.

All insurance companies will dictate to the shops what they will and will not pay for, and how much they'll pay. That's why there are good insurance companies and bad insurance companies.

If you want your car repaired correctly, using OEM parts, don't get a cut-rate insurance company. A good insurance company (USAA comes to mind) will pretty much give the repair facility a blank check and say "fix it, and fix it properly".

A bad insurance company (Geico comes to mind) will slash the shops estimate to bare bones and the car will leave the shop "uncrashed", that's it. All labor times will be cut, paint times will be cut, chinese parts will be used and because of it, the quality of the repair will be sub-standard. God, the things I've seen Geico pull!! I've worked closely with them on their ARX program and nobody here would believe the stories I could tell.

Many shops where I live won't even take a Geico claim because they just refuse to pay for a proper repair.
You're afraid to call out a bad insurance company, I'm not.

Old 06-18-2021, 10:39 AM

7,406 posts, read 8,787,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post
I couldn't agree more! I work in the business of automotive and collision repair. I'll tell you a little secret about the biz:

All insurance companies will dictate to the shops what they will and will not pay for, and how much they'll pay. That's why there are good insurance companies and bad insurance companies.

If you want your car repaired correctly, using OEM parts, don't get a cut-rate insurance company. A good insurance company (USAA comes to mind) will pretty much give the repair facility a blank check and say "fix it, and fix it properly".

A bad insurance company (Geico comes to mind) will slash the shops estimate to bare bones and the car will leave the shop "uncrashed", that's it. All labor times will be cut, paint times will be cut, chinese parts will be used and because of it, the quality of the repair will be sub-standard. God, the things I've seen Geico pull!! I've worked closely with them on their ARX program and nobody here would believe the stories I could tell.

Many shops where I live won't even take a Geico claim because they just refuse to pay for a proper repair.
Thanks for sharing ^^. How is State Farm?

Old 06-18-2021, 10:54 AM

15,458 posts, read 26,832,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mborner View Post

I think that you make very good points. Unfortunately, MOST people select their insurance company based on the cuteness of their ads as opposed to their claims service. Insurance companies have a choice to spend their money on marketing or to spend it on great customer service.

Mt family used State Farm for years and when I completed college, I stuck with them. Everything was great until my house in St. Louis was burglarized. Not only was it difficult for my State Farm agent to get me the forms for a claim, they cancelled my policy on Christmas Eve giving me only ten days to find another carrier.

When I moved to Arizona, my former carrier, West Bend Mutual does not write business in Arizona so I received many recommendations for Auto-owners insurance. I have had a homeowners claim and two auto claims and both have been handled quickly and efficiently.

Old 06-18-2021, 11:06 AM

58 posts, read 31,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Thanks for sharing ^^. How is State Farm?
State Farm is okay. At least you can negotiate with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area