U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 08:18 AM

58 posts, read 31,330 times

Advertisements

We've been in south Florida for the past 21 years. When we moved From Ca. in 2000 our car insurance, I thought was a bit high, but reasonable. Our first policy in Florida had our insurance rates quadrupled from Ca. 6 months later, our insurance company jacked up our rates 40%. You read that right, 40%! Currently we:

DW 56
DH 58
Drive two of the most boring cars on planet earth, a 2017 and a 2020. (Accord/Lexus ES)

No tickets, ever.

No accidents, ever.

Perfect driving records.

100/300 liability
Comp/collision both cars
$1,000 deductible
Towing/roadside/rental car coverage.
We don't even carry uninsured motorist coverage in an effort to keep rates down.

We pay over $5,000/yr for this coverage. I'm told buy my agent that Florida has historically high rates. If our insurance keeps going up at the rate it has, we'll be looking at $10,000/yr in 5 years.

Do you all mind sharing what your rates and coverages are? We are thinking about relocating. What are rates like in the greater Phoenix Metro area?

We're with Liberty Mutual.

Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 08:45 AM

824 posts, read 483,709 times
I did the best with AAA.

Old 06-03-2021, 08:49 AM

734 posts, read 720,535 times
I had AAA in CA and it was 660 / year for the car I had at the time (2009 G37 sedan). When I moved to AZ in 2014, they wanted to raise it to 2400 / year! They said "lots of accidents and thefts in AZ" blah blah blah. I read a suggestion somewhere to try Geico. Got the rate down to 855! Same exact coverage. Went through the online tool and never had to get on the phone with a real person. It was super.

25k/50k medical stuff
25k property
25k/50k uninsured
25k/50k under-insured
250 comprehensive
500 collision
roadside
35/day for 30 days rental reimbursement

Had a claim 4 years ago when a giant tire came flipping toward me from underneath the car in front of me on the freeway when passing through L.A. on the way home to AZ and it was very, very smooth, pleasant, and hassle free. Person on the phone was stupendously nice, helpful, and thorough.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:05 AM

2,611 posts, read 998,875 times
This is a subject I know quite a bit about as I used to be a licensed claims adjuster, and I’ve lived in both states. Yes, Arizona does have lower insurance rates than Florida does on average, but it’s not going to be an incredible savings and I wouldn’t use this savings as the sole reason for moving.

But it looks to me, though, like you’ve got some serious gaps in your coverage that could cost you big time down the road.

Based on the vehicles you own, I think it’s very possible that 100/300/100 is not enough coverage based on your likely net worth. There are all kinds of insurance scammers out there, and whole unethical networks (groups of people who get into accidents, auto body shops, medical clinics, attorneys, etc.) that work in concert with each other and their goal is to separate you and your insurance company from as much money as possible. Your insurance company will protect you up to 100/300/100, but anything above and beyond that is your responsibility. So if you have a higher net worth, you might want to look into bumping that coverage way up.

Also, if you are both very good drivers, 1000 collision seems fine, but comprehensive damage could happen to anyone, even the best drivers. I think 1000 deductible on comprehensive is way too high, and lowering the comp deductible will not set you back very much at all. I’d look at a 250 deductible. The next time your car gets caught in a hail storm, flood, animal collision, you’ll thank me.

One good thing is that AZ, like FL, has full glass coverage. Not many states have this, which means you don’t have to pay your comp deductible when replacing a windshield that was hit by a rock or debris.

Lastly, not carrying uninsured motorist coverage is not a good idea at all. Do you have any idea the amount of uninsured motorists on the road? Arizona will likely have many more uninsured motorists than FL because of the sheer amount of undocumented people floating around the state. No way would I feel comfortable not having uninsured motorist coverage in the state of Arizona.

I know paying insurance sucks, but if you have a decent amount of wealth saved up like I do and many of us on CD do as well, you’ve got to protect yourself. You just have to protect yourself and skimping on insurance is not a good financial plan.

I’m also hoping you have a very good homeowner’s policy and a VPP (Valuable Personal Property) policy as well, but that’s another topic entirely.

Look, I know people think insurance companies are trying to scam everyone, but that wasn’t my experience at all when I worked for one. I also know people get frustrated because they don’t understand their policies and what is covered and what is not. Getting educated on that point after the fact is not a good way to find out.

I’ll never forget the guy who bought a new car, and his payments were too high, so he thought he’d save money by carrying liability and collision, and he declined everything else. Anyway, sure enough, he got his car stolen and after it was recovered by police, it was determined totaled by the thieves. He called into file a claim, and I had to deny his claim since he had no comprehensive coverage. Of course, the bank that held his car loan doesn’t care about any of this, they still want their monthly payment.

I could go on and on with all kinds of amazing, and very sad, stories that would fill a book.

I know this isn’t really what you were looking for as far as an answer, but I hope I’ve reinforced the idea of the importance of insurance and how it is there to help you, not fleece you.

Last edited by WK91; 06-03-2021 at 09:26 AM..

Old 06-03-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
One good thing is that AZ, like FL, has full glass coverage. Not many states have this, which means you don’t have to pay your comp deductible when replacing a windshield that was hit by a rock or debris.
Fully appreciate this. 14 years of driving in CA, and not one thing ever happened to my windshield. First year in AZ? THREE rocks chipped it in different places. I'm aware of insurance scamming glass shops with the whole "$400 cash for replacing your windshield!" crap, so I asked Geico for a list of places near me that they work with, and I went with one of those, so no scamming bs.

Old 06-03-2021, 09:54 AM

263 posts, read 246,062 times
For me, Auto Owners was great. You can only get their insurance through an agent, I used Strongtower out of Gilbert.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:10 AM

2,789 posts, read 7,121,663 times
I have been homebound for over a year and used only a half a tank of gas,doctor and bank only,daughter has done grocery shopping.I am 88 with liability only,70 years no tickets nor accidents,no mercy with Farmers.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:23 AM

263 posts, read 246,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
I had AAA in CA and it was 660 / year for the car I had at the time (2009 G37 sedan). When I moved to AZ in 2014, they wanted to raise it to 2400 / year! They said "lots of accidents and thefts in AZ" blah blah blah. I read a suggestion somewhere to try Geico. Got the rate down to 855! Same exact coverage. Went through the online tool and never had to get on the phone with a real person. It was super.

25k/50k medical stuff
25k property
25k/50k uninsured
25k/50k under-insured
250 comprehensive
500 collision
roadside
35/day for 30 days rental reimbursement

Had a claim 4 years ago when a giant tire came flipping toward me from underneath the car in front of me on the freeway when passing through L.A. on the way home to AZ and it was very, very smooth, pleasant, and hassle free. Person on the phone was stupendously nice, helpful, and thorough.

You are woefully underinsured with only $25k/50k of coverage!

Old 06-03-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
You are woefully underinsured with only $25k/50k of coverage!

I don't know, ever since i first started driving I've always had to get "full coverage" and those are the numbers that were always printed on the documents. I didn't know it went higher until not too many years ago. I'll have to look into it.

Old 06-03-2021, 12:13 PM

5,648 posts, read 3,502,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
I did the best with AAA.
Second AAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area