U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2021, 08:33 AM

8,224 posts, read 14,150,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I had a family member, lifelong Chicago resident, who decided to move to Phoenix. After a year or so, he hated Phoenix with a passion and in fact, moved back to Chicago. Maybe there wasn’t enough crime for him in Phoenix? Not sure.

But if you insist on moving to Phoenix, I would live in Paradise Valley, North Scottsdale, or Fountain Hills.

Buy a condo, that way if you decide that you miss Chicago and need to move back, you can use your newly purchased condo as a vacation rental property and make some money.

There are vast stretches of Phoenix, Mesa, Tempe, etc. that you need to avoid. It’s basically a third world barrio in most of the Phoenix metro area, but you’re obviously used to avoiding major sections of a city if you’ve survived living in Chicago this long.
You really need to go to an actual war zone or a “third world barrio”. The paranoia is astounding. Do you ever travel to actual cities with real big city problems? You’d likely be unable to leave your hotel room. OP, take what this guy says with a grain of salt, as the fear-mongering is largely baseless. There are some not great areas like anywhere else, but Phoenix is largely a very safe metro area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2021, 08:48 AM

12,468 posts, read 8,910,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
There are a million more things to do in Chicago than Phoenix. Good luck.
I've truly never understood this. There are as many "things to do" in Phoenix as there are to do in Chicago. They are just different types of things.

Old 06-17-2021, 08:53 AM

2,661 posts, read 1,831,196 times
I'm surprised to read that Chicagoland doesn't have much to do within driving distance. It's situated on a Great Lake with some of the world's greatest natural wonders within just 8 hours' driving distance. Phoenix has a lot of things to do too, but I don't know that it is superior unless you are highly interested in desert landscapes and proximity to California, Vegas, and mountain ski resorts.

Old 06-17-2021, 09:10 AM
Status: "how many more weeks until it rains?" (set 8 days ago)

3,213 posts, read 2,011,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
I'm surprised to read that Chicagoland doesn't have much to do within driving distance. It's situated on a Great Lake with some of the world's greatest natural wonders within just 8 hours' driving distance. Phoenix has a lot of things to do too, but I don't know that it is superior unless you are highly interested in desert landscapes and proximity to California, Vegas, and mountain ski resorts.
lets just say there is plenty to do in both cities, just many of them are polar opposites of each other..

Old 06-17-2021, 09:46 AM

2,099 posts, read 795,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You really need to go to an actual war zone or a “third world barrio”. The paranoia is astounding. Do you ever travel to actual cities with real big city problems? You’d likely be unable to leave your hotel room. OP, take what this guy says with a grain of salt, as the fear-mongering is largely baseless. There are some not great areas like anywhere else, but Phoenix is largely a very safe metro area.
Violent crime is on the rise in Phoenix, and you very well know that. Up by 40% and it will continue to rise as the demonization of police will continue in Maricopa County.

I don’t often go into bad areas in the Phoenix metro, but sometimes you can’t avoid it. I was in Tempe, parked at a red light, and I seen a Hispanic dude standing on the corner with a backpack on. Kind of hot out to be walking that day, but whatever. Anyway, 2 policeman come out of nowhere and run after this dude, and he bolts into the intersection right as the light turns green. Sure enough, he chooses my car to run in front of and lightly bangs into the hood of my car as he goes by. The police chose not to run through the intersection, but they were calling on their radio. Meanwhile, I’m reaching for my gun while all this is going on, as I refuse to be carjacked if it came to it. I’m fully trained, experienced, and comfortable around firearms.

So yea, it’s not as safe out there as you let on. But you already know this.

Old 06-17-2021, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Violent crime is on the rise in Phoenix, and you very well know that. Up by 40% and it will continue to rise as the demonization of police will continue in Maricopa County.

I don’t often go into bad areas in the Phoenix metro, but sometimes you can’t avoid it. I was in Tempe, parked at a red light, and I seen a Hispanic dude standing on the corner with a backpack on. Kind of hot out to be walking that day, but whatever. Anyway, 2 policeman come out of nowhere and run after this dude, and he bolts into the intersection right as the light turns green. Sure enough, he chooses my car to run in front of and lightly bangs into the hood of my car as he goes by. The police chose not to run through the intersection, but they were calling on their radio. Meanwhile, I’m reaching for my gun while all this is going on, as I refuse to be carjacked if it came to it. I’m fully trained, experienced, and comfortable around firearms.

So yea, it’s not as safe out there as you let on. But you already know this.
Omg the horrors! He banged on your hood?! I mean if you SEEN(!) a Hispanic man. i truly don’t understand how people with such fear manage to function at all.

Old 06-17-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Omg the horrors! He banged on your hood?! I mean if you SEEN(!) a Hispanic man. i truly don’t understand how people with such fear manage to function at all.
Are you implying that you don’t have a gun for self defense? I recommend you get one, you will need it someday.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Are you implying that you don’t have a gun for self defense? I recommend you get one, you will need it someday.
I never implied anything. I have guns, mostly because I enjoy target practice. Statistically it’s unlikely that I’ll ever need to use a firearm. That’s the difference. I understand the statistics and therefore am not a paranoid wreck, thinking that the sight of mild blight or a Hispanic person (gasp) equals a “war zone”. It’s the difference between rational and paranoid. Perhaps a trip to an actual war zone would put things into perspective and give you a sense of reality. Phoenix certainly doesn’t fit into that laughable label.

Old 06-17-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
I never implied anything. I have guns, mostly because I enjoy target practice. Statistically it’s unlikely that I’ll ever need to use a firearm. That’s the difference. I understand the statistics and therefore am not a paranoid wreck, thinking that the sight of mild blight or a Hispanic person (gasp) equals a “war zone”. It’s the difference between rational and paranoid. Perhaps a trip to an actual war zone would put things into perspective and give you a sense of reality. Phoenix certainly doesn’t fit into that laughable label.
I’ve been to many places throughout the world, including actual war zones. I stand by my assessment that you need to be prepared for the worst in many parts of Phoenix. If you choose to laugh it off, and bebop around with no situational awareness, that’s definitely your right to do so.

The person who started this post obviously agrees me, because they asked which areas they need to avoid. According to you, I guess no areas needs to be avoided?

Old 06-17-2021, 09:28 PM

Quote:
I’ve been to many places throughout the world, including actual war zones. I stand by my assessment that you need to be prepared for the worst in many parts of Phoenix. If you choose to laugh it off, and bebop around with no situational awareness, that’s definitely your right to do so.

The person who started this post obviously agrees me, because they asked which areas they need to avoid. According to you, I guess no areas needs to be avoided?
Would I live in high-crime areas, no? Fortunately I have the means not to. Would I be a nervous wreck if I had to do business in say Maryvale? Not at all. There’s no way you’ve been to an actual war zones if you think Phoenix at all resembles one. Telling someone if they were to move to the Phoenix area, to only consider Paradise Valley, North Scottsdale, or Fountain Hills is completely irrational. That’s fear, not situational awareness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area