Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 07:40 AM

30,929 posts, read 19,532,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
It IS getting hotter. Literally every year. And the water concerns ARE growing. Literally every year. The papers have been full of articles about those two topics lately because we are reaching a crisis point. We break new records all the time - last month was officially the hottest June in the city's history. Last weekend it looked like I was driving through heavy fog on all the freeways. Was it actually fog? No, of course not, it was thick smoke from all the wildfires raging around us. We got less than 4 inches of rain in 2020.

And no, phoenix does not have the best climate outside of California. Not even close. Phoenix has an extreme weather climate that is getting more extreme with every passing year.
It's not getting hotter every year, the trend is hotter over the last 100 years but the yearly heat temps go up and down but are trending more up than down.

I do agree water concerns are valid and growing unless or until we get substantially more rain.

Yours and my opinions on whether or not Phoenix or Arizona in general has the best climate outside of California are completely subjective, I say yea and you no...we're both right and wrong.

Wildfires are getting worse in the West but were much worse in the PNW when I lived there than here in Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2021, 11:29 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,773,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Yes, there is batch a of people that take it in stride. Luckily, they are not bitching 24-7 as you do or it would be a miserable place to live because of that attitude. Cheer up! Fix your problem. Life is too short to hate living in an area all the while you complain.
Beautifully stated MN, life is always what you make of it no matter where you are. The idea that Phoenix is somehow such a terrible place is just plain silly. I've lived in many different climates and visited many countries, some of which would kill for the lifestyle we live here in Phoenix.

I can't help but laugh about thinking how our predecessors would respond to such complaining about life in modern day Phoenix. Where you have air conditioning everywhere, mainly work inside, and even clothing you can buy these days has technology advancements to be protect against the sun and keep us cooler.

Grabbed a few shots from my adventures before work this morning, love these monsoon mornings.

Old 07-02-2021, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maroon197 View Post
Also, I don't think posting misleading pictures of tempe town lake or implying that tons of people were just out enjoying themselves in 110+ degree temps is very responsible. We have had several young, fit individuals die recently due to the extreme heat while they were exercising or hiking outdoors. The weather here is not a joke, and 99.9% of the valley looks nothing like that picture.
Pictures don't lie Maroon, scroll through the Metro Phoenix photo thread on this CD page, it's full of awesome pictures that LocoLobo has been posting for years now. Your attitude seems pretty misleading to me, most people in Phoenix take summer in way better stride than you do. You act like it's 110 24 hours a day and if you step outside you'll die. That's pretty dang misleading.

Last edited by locolife; 07-02-2021 at 12:02 PM..

Old 07-02-2021, 07:13 PM

3,421 posts, read 2,946,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Pictures don't lie Maroon, scroll through the Metro Phoenix photo thread on this CD page, it's full of awesome pictures that LocoLobo has been posting for years now. Your attitude seems pretty misleading to me, most people in Phoenix take summer in way better stride than you do. You act like it's 110 24 hours a day and if you step outside you'll die. That's pretty dang misleading.
everyone here knows this already, man. As you said, if you hate it here that much, your mission in life should be to move elsewhere..

I came out here for years for business, and happened to be here on the hottest days on record here, more than once..Hell, the day we closed on our house it was 119, and I thought about it a little longer than originally planned.

I will admit after 4 years living here, I see how some folks lose it when its 118 degrees for a week or 2 straight. But, as you know, its not that hot 24/7, and for the hours where its really killer, you just stay inside.

Moving here for the weather really is a mistake, unless you can be elsewhere from june-sept, but, everything else about this area is great, we still feel like we are on vacation so you cant beat that.

plus we live in what is arguably the most beautiful part of our country, IMO

Old 07-02-2021, 08:50 PM

8,056 posts, read 12,345,103 times
Quote:
I can't help but laugh about thinking how our predecessors would respond to such complaining about life in modern day Phoenix. Where you have air conditioning everywhere, mainly work inside, and even clothing you can buy these days has technology advancements to be protect against the sun and keep us cooler.
Agree in principle, but I still say that most people would be purely miserable if they didn't have these conveniences. That's why I question those who claim to love our summers & don't mind the heat. They're often making those claims while inside an air cooled building or lounging in their pool. They'd change their tune if they didn't have A/C or a pool, and actually had to work outside for any substantial length of time.

Quote:
I take LocoLobo's photos with a grain of salt. Some of them are awesome, but many others are of the grittier, trashier areas, and have become rather mundane lately. Also, while Maroon is definitely a pessimist about anything to do with Phoenix, you tend to be a bit overly optimistic & generalizing about the summers. Most everybody I personally know hates the heat, and would rather be somewhere cooler from June through September.

At least I'm fortunate enough to be able to escape it for a few weeks at a time. In mid June while Phoenix was baking in record shattering 118 degree temps, I was in northern Idaho enjoying daytime highs in the 70s & 80s. Shockingly enough, it became a little too warm up there during my last few days, and I left right before their massive record shattering heat wave. No place is perfect.

Old 07-03-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Agree in principle, but I still say that most people would be purely miserable if they didn't have these conveniences. That's why I question those who claim to love our summers & don't mind the heat. They're often making those claims while inside an air cooled building or lounging in their pool. They'd change their tune if they didn't have A/C or a pool, and actually had to work outside for any substantial length of time.

I take LocoLobo's photos with a grain of salt. Some of them are awesome, but many others are of the grittier, trashier areas, and have become rather mundane lately. Also, while Maroon is definitely a pessimist about anything to do with Phoenix, you tend to be a bit overly optimistic & generalizing about the summers. Most everybody I personally know hates the heat, and would rather be somewhere cooler from June through September.

At least I'm fortunate enough to be able to escape it for a few weeks at a time. In mid June while Phoenix was baking in record shattering 118 degree temps, I was in northern Idaho enjoying daytime highs in the 70s & 80s. Shockingly enough, it became a little too warm up there during my last few days, and I left right before their massive record shattering heat wave. No place is perfect.
Well someone has to offset the sheer amount of belly aching around here. LOL

I'm not saying it's cake walk but life does go on, I was a transplant to Phoenix about 20 years ago now and learned first hand what the weather means to daily life. Beyond adapting for 12 or so weeks to get out on your hikes/walks early or late, as you mentioned, summer is also a great time to go explore the other parts of the country and the state, kids are out of school and it's already considered vacation season. So our weather is setup well for that. I consider us very lucky to have the high country nearby and so many cool areas to go explore, that environmental diversity is really nice. I'd be really bummed living in the Southeast where it's all hot and humid as far as you go in any direction.

I was in Northern Utah during June but unfortunately did not miss the heat wave, one thing I noticed is that with the much later sun set an evening hike was much less comfortable until later in the day than I'm used to here. Yes, it's not always 107 in Salt Lake but even when it went back to the very typical 95ish range the sun is still very strong and local trails offer minimal shade. It reminded me that summer is something you deal with everywhere, while it's not as extreme as Phoenix it's still something you're going to need to adjust to in some way.

Old 07-04-2021, 12:08 PM

9,887 posts, read 11,295,052 times
Quote:
I really don’t understand why you always mention A/C and a pool. Yes, people would be miserable without air. Shall we say 100 percent?! And a pool helps too.

And home furnaces make living up north easy. And our hot tubs made the winters much better as well. Imagine how much people would hate Seattle’s rain if they didn’t have a roof to keep them dry. It’s called progress. If A/C was never invented, I would not live here. Now would you.

Old 07-05-2021, 12:55 PM

8,056 posts, read 12,345,103 times
Quote:
I really don’t understand why you always mention A/C and a pool. Yes, people would be miserable without air. Shall we say 100 percent?! And a pool helps too.
Think about the irony of it: the ones who claim to love the weather here (including the summer heat) will often spend a great deal of time & money making sure they're sheltered from the heat. They move here for the sunshine, but put screens all over their windows which BLOCK OUT the sunlight! All I'm saying is most of these same people likely couldn't tolerate being directly in the kind of weather which they claim to love ... at least not for any significant length of time without being miserable.

Quote:
And home furnaces make living up north easy. And our hot tubs made the winters much better as well. Imagine how much people would hate Seattle’s rain if they didn’t have a roof to keep them dry. It’s called progress. If A/C was never invented, I would not live here. Now would you.
Excellent points. So why do people from those parts of the country keep coming here for a change in the climate? Why don’t they just stay where they are, run their furnaces, turn on their sun lamps, and relax in their hot tubs all winter if those conveniences make cold climates so much more tolerable?

Moving to Phoenix for the sun is on the same mentality level as moving to Seattle for the rain. I've been to Seattle in November when it rained all the while, and I can understand why it gets monotonous ... but then, so does our constant blazing sun. More people should seriously consider priorities when relocating. Transplanting to a different part of the country just for the weather/climate is no guarantee that their lives will improve. In the big picture, all they're really doing is trading one set of problems for another.

Old 07-05-2021, 05:08 PM

9,887 posts, read 11,295,052 times
Quote:
Think about the irony of it: the ones who claim to love the weather here (including the summer heat) will often spend a great deal of time & money making sure they're sheltered from the heat. They move here for the sunshine, but put screens all over their windows which BLOCK OUT the sunlight! All I'm saying is most of these same people likely couldn't tolerate being directly in the kind of weather which they claim to love ... at least not for any significant length of time without being miserable.

Excellent points. So why do people from those parts of the country keep coming here for a change in the climate? Why don’t they just stay where they are, run their furnaces, turn on their sun lamps, and relax in their hot tubs all winter if those conveniences make cold climates so much more tolerable?

Moving to Phoenix for the sun is on the same mentality level as moving to Seattle for the rain. I've been to Seattle in November when it rained all the while, and I can understand why it gets monotonous ... but then, so does our constant blazing sun. More people should seriously consider priorities when relocating. Transplanting to a different part of the country just for the weather/climate is no guarantee that their lives will improve. In the big picture, all they're really doing is trading one set of problems for another.
Other than the moderator, I don’t remember anyone saying they love hot AZ summers. Rather, they learn to deal with it. In conclusion, they still enjoy life because they dodge the intense heat.

As far as people coming here for better weather. Simply count the ideal days. For me, ideal days range from 60 to 105 degrees (and sunny). When you compare the total ideal days versus most other states, you will understand the PHX weather sounds appealing to many. Personally, my new routine is in MN from mid May to mid Sept. So 8 months total in AZ.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 07-05-2021 at 05:26 PM..

Old 07-05-2021, 09:27 PM

14,076 posts, read 8,230,172 times
Quote:

Or they take their problems with them. I saw a lot of this while living overseas. Ex-pats. who thought a complete change, a fresh start would make their life better. Make them happy. It didn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area