Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2021, 06:04 AM

39,089 posts, read 51,273,483 times

Advertisements

I retract my "no" remark. Like a lot of people in Phoenix, I saw 75th Ave and had that reaction. But I got to thinking that I have relatives who live in that area and it isn't all that bad. The really sketchy areas out that way are around McDowell, Thomas, etc. Going north gets better. Olive area is decent. It is not affluent suburbia, but these remarks that you have to carry a gun to feel safe are ridiculous (even further south). There is no area in Phoenix where I would be walking the dog after dark anymore, but if you are not into crime and drug dealing yourself, your victim chances at home are decidedly in your favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2021, 08:50 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,278,845 times
Anywhere near Grand Ave (East of the 101) is not what most would consider nice or appealing to the eye. You may not be in any immediate danger of being mugged, but I just don't know why someone would voluntarily choose to live amongst warehouses and used tire stores.

You previously were asking about living in Maricopa, so I assume location is not that important to you - but price is. Do yourself a favor and look at Casa Grande or San Tan Valley. You can get a newer home in a safe area for probably the same price. My $0.02

Old 07-03-2021, 09:02 AM

6,406 posts, read 8,995,643 times
West Valley in general is not what many people think of as "desirable". There is some merit as there are pockets that have the highest crime areas of the valley. But many generalize the entire west valley and will be quick to write the entire area off. The more flippant responses warning you likely fall into this mindset and will speak with no real knowledge of the area. I have no data in front of me but would wager you would be fine unless treading into waters that would lead to trouble.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:16 AM

962 posts, read 471,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There is no area in Phoenix where I would be walking the dog after dark anymore, but if you are not into crime and drug dealing yourself, your victim chances at home are decidedly in your favor.

I like to walk. After dark. In Phoenix. I don't have a dog, so I walk alone or occasionally I'll put a leash on Mrs. FCat. There's a good 30% of the city that isn't "scary" to me at night. So you clutch your pearls (as DetroitN8V would put it) and buy into the fear manufactured by those who would profit from it, and I'll continue to live a nice, relaxed life.

Old 07-03-2021, 11:19 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,968,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
West Valley in general is not what many people think of as "desirable". There is some merit as there are pockets that have the highest crime areas of the valley. But many generalize the entire west valley and will be quick to write the entire area off. The more flippant responses warning you likely fall into this mindset and will speak with no real knowledge of the area. I have no data in front of me but would wager you would be fine unless treading into waters that would lead to trouble.
The area sucks. It’s as simple as that. Is it high crime? In areas. Is it ugly? Yes!

Old 07-03-2021, 01:49 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,096,870 times
Gotta love our comments.

Truth: Your vehicle may be stolen in East Mesa.

Old 07-03-2021, 02:40 PM

962 posts, read 471,194 times
But the odds are that it won't be.

Old 07-03-2021, 03:52 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,656,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Gotta love our comments.

Truth: Your vehicle may be stolen in East Mesa.
It may be stolen from north Scottsdale too. So what?

Old 07-03-2021, 04:45 PM

22 posts, read 35,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
You couldn’t pay me to live in that area.

But if you insist, I recommend being locked and loaded at all times, not just at night.

And it’s only gonna get worse as more and more people pour into Phoenix.
It will be temporary and I don't have much say in the matter. Thank you for the advice.

Old 07-03-2021, 04:59 PM

22 posts, read 35,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I retract my "no" remark. Like a lot of people in Phoenix, I saw 75th Ave and had that reaction. But I got to thinking that I have relatives who live in that area and it isn't all that bad. The really sketchy areas out that way are around McDowell, Thomas, etc. Going north gets better. Olive area is decent. It is not affluent suburbia, but these remarks that you have to carry a gun to feel safe are ridiculous (even further south). There is no area in Phoenix where I would be walking the dog after dark anymore, but if you are not into crime and drug dealing yourself, your victim chances at home are decidedly in your favor.
I can avoid those areas. I will mostly be busy going to work during the day (which is close by) and maybe going to a 24 hour gym if it's too dangerous to go for a run outside/in the neighborhood. I don't plan to venture further south for any reason. It's reassuring to know it's not the most dangerous area so thanks for updating your answer.

Out of curiosity are you generally against carrying a firearm or would you say it's just not necessary in this one instance? Not trying to start a gun debate, just curious if you think there's any point where one would require a firearm in Phoenix. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area