Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2021, 12:05 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
I wasn't getting worked up. My point was that I didn't see any homeless people. I'm smart enough to know the problem exists, but you apparently missed my point. I didn't see them. The mayor and police make sure of that. That's all I was saying. I didn't need a sociology lesson about why homelessness is a problem along the coast.
Well, you just seemed worked up by the argumentative response to my post. Maybe you weren't surprised about three hotels a block from the ocean housing homeless but I certainly was. I know for a fact as someone who grew up 35 miles from Carlsbad in a community adjacent to coastal communities in OC that homelessness is a problem in beach towns up and down the coast. Of course it's worse in the downtown areas, because a lot of homeless receive monthly government assistance and have to be close to the offices to get their checks. It's always been less of a problem in the suburbs but the beach communities see more activity for obvious reasons. You had the experience you did because homeless were put in hotels due to covid, I assume that practice will be ending soon and they'll be milling around the beach like usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2021, 12:29 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Since the OP is a one and done on this thread, perhaps we'll never how successful he was at transferring his new found Phoenix wealth to San Diego.

Old 07-04-2021, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Since the OP is a one and done on this thread, perhaps we'll never how successful he was at transferring his new found Phoenix wealth to San Diego.
He's looking at 850 sf bungalows in North Park for $800K and realizing one could rob the house without undoing the chain lock

Old 07-04-2021, 04:28 PM

124 posts, read 108,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Definitely agree that San Diego has a much more favorable climate, better beach/ocean access, and more to offer as far as theme parks & that sort of thing. I've said for a long time that if I could pick any city to live just for the weather alone, it would be San Diego. Problem is: San Diego is very expensive for the average person, and they have a lackluster job market. I'm baffled as to how you believe you'll get a better value on a home over there if you think prices here are becoming out of reach.

In the link below, you can see the population numbers for U.S. cities. Notice how San Diego had a growth rate of less than 9% between 2010 & 2020, but Phoenix's growth rate was over 18% during the same 10 year period (more than twice that of San Diego). Why do you think this is? Obviously, great weather, beaches, and theme parks are lower on the list for many people if they can't afford to live there!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._by_population

I'd agree more with this if you were specifically referring to the L.A. area, but I have never encountered horrible traffic in or around San Diego, even during their summer tourist season. Phoenix's traffic is actually worse than San Diego's (at least in my experience). Also, I've only run into crowds around their beach areas, and occasionally downtown. Phoenix has a larger population than San Diego, and roughly the same population density, so I don't get the "crammed with people" issue. San Diego seems much less congested and more laid back than the L.A. area does.
That's basically the root of my observation.

Old 07-06-2021, 04:25 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Not that I would pick Southern California, but I’m starting to agree with this line of thinking. The heat is too bad, IMO, to be dealing with these prices. And as a native I don’t see the appeal for this many people coming here. Not that Phoenix is bad but, just not at these prices.

I’m in Maryland as I’m typing this it is 74 with 62% humidity and it feels fantastic. It really makes me question things
We were just in North East Pennsylvania...totally agree. And the rain didn't upset us one bit.

Old 07-06-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
We were just in North East Pennsylvania...totally agree. And the rain didn't upset us one bit.
Make a return trip in January.

Old 07-06-2021, 05:13 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,531 times
We left Ahwatukee in late March after 26 years in the valley. As much as I enjoyed my time there commuting downtown and then to I-17 & Peoria before working from home for the last three years, I much prefer this view than the ones just off Desert Foothills Dr!

Old 07-07-2021, 09:07 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Make a return trip in January.
Oh we have been there before. My Sister and parents live out there.

Funny how people don't like where they live almost anywhere if that is what they are used to. When my parents moved out there, I dropped off the UHaul at the shop and the attendant asked how it worked. I told him it just did 2300 miles and did great. He asked why my parents retired to NE PA: "Why would they move...HERE?" My response: "Have you seen where you live?"

I have some friends from the East Coast that love the wide open spaces and lack of snow in the West. Others that were from the West and love to have moved back East. Just new adventures and people take for granted what they have around them or get bored of it. I like visiting. My wife always starts looking a real estate and saying we should move (insert wherever we are vacationing) with the exception of CA.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:18 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
We left Ahwatukee in late March after 26 years in the valley. As much as I enjoyed my time there commuting downtown and then to I-17 & Peoria before working from home for the last three years, I much prefer this view than the ones just off Desert Foothills Dr!

That photo is so depressing to me, flat, emptiness that looks like Anywhere, USA. Nothing unique, nothing interesting. Just grass, a fence and a tree... Oy.
These are a few of my photos which I personally still find awesome and of course nobody mistakes the beautiful Sonoran desert for any place else. I'm not a fan of Ahwatukee and could completely understand why it would get old being so disconnected from the heart of the valley.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:29 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Oh we have been there before. My Sister and parents live out there.

Funny how people don't like where they live almost anywhere if that is what they are used to. When my parents moved out there, I dropped off the UHaul at the shop and the attendant asked how it worked. I told him it just did 2300 miles and did great. He asked why my parents retired to NE PA: "Why would they move...HERE?" My response: "Have you seen where you live?"

I have some friends from the East Coast that love the wide open spaces and lack of snow in the West. Others that were from the West and love to have moved back East. Just new adventures and people take for granted what they have around them or get bored of it. I like visiting. My wife always starts looking a real estate and saying we should move (insert wherever we are vacationing) with the exception of CA.

No doubt, I left the west for the east coast for a few years and within 4 I couldn't wait to come back, didn't realize what I had until it was gone. I wasn't a fan of the East, be it the weather or the rather uptight attitudes I encountered in the Northeast big cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area