Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2021, 12:18 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,654,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
I didn't say it was similar to Detroit or that single, professional type women don't live there without issue.

However, personally I wouldn't want to wander around say... where the Nash Jazz club is located during the evening.

Now, I've seen the gentrification taking place downtown. The trendy coffee shops, new apartments building and the young couples pushing a baby carriage on a Sunday morning.

But I also see the riff-raff mixed in throughout the area.
You would be scared wandering around 1st St and Roosevelt in the evening?! Have you been down there in the past couple years? There is nothing at all to be afraid of in that area, especially in the evening when people are out and about. There's either a disconnect or paranoia, because that area is clean, lively, and safe, with a lot of foot traffic. Maybe southwest of there, toward Van Buren and the avenues, but 1st St and Roosevelt is about as undaunting as it gets. There's way more riffraff on Mill Ave., as a point of comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2021, 02:18 PM

13,793 posts, read 8,026,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You would be scared wandering around 1st St and Roosevelt in the evening?! Have you been down there in the past couple years? There is nothing at all to be afraid of in that area, especially in the evening when people are out and about. There's either a disconnect or paranoia, because that area is clean, lively, and safe, with a lot of foot traffic. Maybe southwest of there, toward Van Buren and the avenues, but 1st St and Roosevelt is about as undaunting as it gets. There's way more riffraff on Mill Ave., as a point of comparison.

Not sure if scared is the word but I wouldn't to live on the side of the light rail where the Nash club is located. I went to that area several times using the light rail. Now get off the train and walk in the opposite direction toward what appear to be new apartment buildings and it's a different story. Nevertheless you still see the riff-raff pushing shopping carts, hanging out in the door way or in the back of buildings not in use or in the process of being built.

I've also spent time Sunday mornings in the downtown area where the Japanese garden is located. 500k homes, run down properties, wealthy looking couples, riff-raff and trendy coffee shops. Seemingly all mixed in together.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:42 PM

717 posts, read 1,059,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby-june View Post
These look like the kind places I like! Thanks for this awesome list. It seems like Scottsdale is out for me, being that it's not my scene.
The problem with “downtown” Phoenix is that it is a huge geographical area without the density/concentration of things you find in other urban cities. Everything is really spread out, and there are some pretty rough edges still. It’s getting better, but tempe is the most traditionally urban/walkable part of the valley. Phoenix has nothing to compete with the vibe in Tempe with mill Ave, the lake, the parks, and the mountain all right there.

If you don’t care about walkability phx definitely has a slightly more mature vibe, but ASU still has a huge presence there because of the dt campus.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Not sure if scared is the word but I wouldn't to live on the side of the light rail where the Nash club is located. I went to that area several times using the light rail. Now get off the train and walk in the opposite direction toward what appear to be new apartment buildings and it's a different story. Nevertheless you still see the riff-raff pushing shopping carts, hanging out in the door way or in the back of buildings not in use or in the process of being built.

I've also spent time Sunday mornings in the downtown area where the Japanese garden is located. 500k homes, run down properties, wealthy looking couples, riff-raff and trendy coffee shops. Seemingly all mixed in together.
Well, you said you wouldn't want to walk around there in the evenings. There are loads of people out and about in that area in the evenings, most locals going about their business and heading to/from dinner or entertainment. Having some aversion to that area based on safety seems wildly out of touch. I still think you may be mistaken in some way or haven't been there in years. That area is quite nice. From there, eastward down Roosevelt all the way to 7th St. is pretty bustling with galleries, shops, restaurants, music venues, bars and breweries. The danger level is near zilch. It's mostly hipsters, college kids, and yuppies.

Also, houses near the Japanese Friendship Garden and Hance Park are mostly well over $500k. Willo is a really pretty and desirable neighborhood.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:41 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,283,149 times
Quote:
Well, you said you wouldn't want to walk around there in the evenings. There are loads of people out and about in that area in the evenings, most locals going about their business and heading to/from dinner or entertainment. Having some aversion to that area based on safety seems wildly out of touch. I still think you may be mistaken in some way or haven't been there in years. That area is quite nice. From there, eastward down Roosevelt all the way to 7th St. is pretty bustling with galleries, shops, restaurants, music venues, bars and breweries. The danger level is near zilch. It's mostly hipsters, college kids, and yuppies.

Also, houses near the Japanese Friendship Garden and Hance Park are mostly well over $500k. Willo is a really pretty and desirable neighborhood.
I was involved in building a housing development in that Roosevelt area several years ago. The problem then was that the Social Security offices were just North of Roosevelt between 5th and 7th Streets, so the homeless and others would hang around that area certain times of the month. Lots of drugs and prostitution going on around there. It's possible that it has changed since then but it's a valid concern if that SS office is still there

Old 07-22-2021, 04:00 PM

13,793 posts, read 8,026,883 times
Quote:

I'm a big city boy who has lived in many a big city. And I'm sharing my observations of downtown I have wandered about since moving to AZ in 2019. In fact I was downtown two weeks ago for for a couple of D-backs/Giants baseball games. Not suggesting you won't see plenty of people walking the streets after dark. I just wouldn't live there any more than I would live in the downtown area of SF, San Diego or Dallas. Just keeping it 100. The OP is young/single so Phx and Tempe are where the action is. (I'd add Scottsdale too.) Her housing budget of $1500-$2000 is solid so she can likely find a 1-bed apt anywhere she likes.

The danger level is near zilch.

In Gilbert and Chandler where I own property the danger level is zilch. You want to walk to a Fry's food store five minutes away just before closing (11pm) Fine. Want to go for a run at 3 am? No problem.

On the the other hand East Mesa where I live there's not much to worry about. But I'll pass on driving to the Walgreens on Main/Recker during the evening because of the meth addicts I sometimes have to walk past before entering the store.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I was involved in building a housing development in that Roosevelt area several years ago. The problem then was that the Social Security offices were just North of Roosevelt between 5th and 7th Streets, so the homeless and others would hang around that area certain times of the month. Lots of drugs and prostitution going on around there. It's possible that it has changed since then but it's a valid concern if that SS office is still there
I don’t think it’s there anymore. You guys should check out the area nowadays. Drugs, prostitution, danger, is all quite laughable as it is now. It’s gotten really commercialized and there is no sign of its previous sketchiness.

Have a happy hour drink on the Cambria’a roof (valet there if you’d like), grab dinner at Character, have an ice cream at The Pemberton, and enjoy a nightcap at Killer Whale (might be a bit loud for the boomer crowd, but it’s fun). That’s a guaranteed great night. If you go wild, get some late night dim sum at Jobot too.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I don’t think it’s there anymore. You guys should check out the area nowadays. Drugs, prostitution, danger, is all quite laughable as it is now. It’s gotten really commercialized and there is no sign of its previous sketchiness.

Have a happy hour drink on the Cambria’a roof (valet there if you’d like), grab dinner at Character, have an ice cream at The Pemberton, and enjoy a nightcap at Killer Whale (might be a bit loud for the boomer crowd, but it’s fun). That’s a guaranteed great night. If you go wild, get some late night dim sum at Jobot too.
Oh I'm sure the establishments are nice. Question is would you want to be a woman walking around some of the nearby neighborhood streets at night.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I'm a big city boy who has lived in many a big city. And I'm sharing my observations of downtown I have wandered about since moving to AZ in 2019. In fact I was downtown two weeks ago for for a couple of D-backs/Giants baseball games. Not suggesting you won't see plenty of people walking the streets after dark. I just wouldn't live there any more than I would live in the downtown area of SF, San Diego or Dallas. Just keeping it 100. The OP is young/single so Phx and Tempe are where the action is. (I'd add Scottsdale too.) Her housing budget of $1500-$2000 is solid so she can likely find a 1-bed apt anywhere she likes.

The danger level is near zilch.

In Gilbert and Chandler where I own property the danger level is zilch. You want to walk to a Fry's food store five minutes away just before closing (11pm) Fine. Want to go for a run at 3 am? No problem.

On the the other hand East Mesa where I live there's not much to worry about. But I'll pass on driving to the Walgreens on Main/Recker during the evening because of the meth addicts I sometimes have to walk past before entering the store.
To be fair, there's some areas a couple blocks from DT Chandler I wouldn't want my wife walking around alone at night.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Oh I'm sure the establishments are nice. Question is would you want to be a woman walking around some of the nearby neighborhood streets at night.
I don't think they'd have any problems. I'd probably be more concerned about the broskis bothering a lone woman on Mill or in Old Town, than near Roosevelt Row.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area