Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 02:38 PM

16 posts, read 29,422 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
I wanted to show you what my neighbor is currently doing and ask if it's legal or not. I just looked up city code and according to Phoenix code legal height for a backyard fence is 6 feet. My other neighbor just built a block wall as well, but theirs is the same height as our chain link, no issues there. We just came home to what now looks like a prison yard. We are about to list our home for sale, we had intentions of putting a new wood fence which is 6 feet tall, per code, but how in the heck do i deal with this? I keep thinking about what will potential buyer think when he sees this tall wall, and i keep wondering about our resale value.
I emailed city of Phoenix just now, but i wanted to ask if anyone here experienced this themselves? Do we have any recourse? Splitting the cost is not an option, as this guy actually came to our door to tell us he's building a block fence and he won't offer us to go half and half because he doesn't like us. I was stunned since we had no issues with him at all (we are quiet, hard working couple in early 50's, with no kids, we don't make any ruckus nor noise, we just sleep and work)
Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Is this a legal backyard fence height?-20210726_132329.jpg   Is this a legal backyard fence height?-20210726_132335.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 03:03 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,419,895 times
How tall is it? A building permit is often required if within 6 feet of a property line... That is how it was in Santa Cruz County.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:16 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Can't really tell what's going on in the pics. Did he build a block wall abutting your chain link fence? Seems weird to not do it on the property line. Yes, 6 feet is the limit. Personally, I'd probably see it as a non-issue if it adds privacy. You can always stucco it and vines or plants on/in front of it. Hopefully they'll clean up the mortar. The workmanship looks rough.

Old 07-26-2021, 03:26 PM

2,153 posts, read 5,174,580 times
I most places 6' is the limit without an engineered plan. It is a safety code. But I have often seen the owner build up the soil on their side of the fence to make the fence only 6' from the ground. If you have concerns talk to the neighbor, or contact the city to check the permit status.

If they followed the rules there is not much you can do. If they are in violation the city may force them to fix it. Hard to say.

Old 07-26-2021, 04:04 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,359,230 times
There is a chance that he wanted to hide that ugly a$$ chain link fence of yours.

I would take down the chain, stucco the blocks, hire an artist to paint a mural, and then thank the neighbor for giving me the canvas to work with....for free.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-26-2021, 04:15 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
There is a chance that he wanted to hide that ugly a$$ chain link fence of yours.

I would take down the chain, stucco the blocks, hire an artist to paint a mural, and then thank the neighbor for giving me the canvas to work with....for free.

Regards
Gemstone1
Yep ! The chain link fence would put me off unless I could decorate or remove it.

Old 07-26-2021, 04:22 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
Looks like the wall is one course higher than your fence. That part does not seem like a big deal, honestly. Plus by not putting the fence on the property line he's given you use of a bit of his yard. Seems foolish and short-sighted on his part.

The issue, if there is one, is that the side of the block wall facing your yard may not be finished nicely. So if you take down your fence you'll see a block wall that looks like hell. It would be more work to clean it up than just simply applying stucco and paint.

Old 07-26-2021, 04:33 PM

16 posts, read 29,422 times
I know that chain link fence is ugly. As i mentioned, we are currently working on the property. We are in the middle of a complete pool remodel, and we did have plans to change the fence in the following year, but there is only so much money we have. Most houses in our area have chain link fence, i would say good 85%, even though it is a nice neighborhood.
I thought we are not allowed to take our existing fence down unless we pay for part of his new block fence?

Old 07-26-2021, 04:39 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,052,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaRain View Post
I thought we are not allowed to take our existing fence down unless we pay for part of his new block fence?
Perhaps technically true, but who is going to complain if you take down your fence? Seems like the only risk is that your neighbor could take down the block wall without your consent since it's not on the property line.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:46 PM

1,473 posts, read 1,419,895 times
https://www.maricopa.gov/1674/Residential-Construction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area