Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2021, 02:45 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times

Advertisements

It's not necessary to have corporate headquarters nearby. Over 35 years I've worked for seven different companies. Only once did I work for a large company in the city where the corporate HQ exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2021, 03:10 PM

17 posts, read 14,017 times
I'm looking for a Social Work Internship to work with children and their families. I finally got responses after waiting all this time. Is finding anything in social work or counseling careers challenging in Phoenix?

Old 07-30-2021, 06:46 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Phoenix, unlike many large cities, is limited in industry and job offerings. If you aren't keen on working for those industries, you will have a tough time. Meanwhile "legacy" large US cities will have all industries and more. Phoenix wasn't really a big city until 60 years ago, some people in this forum are probably old enough to remember how small Phoenix once was. Not me but, Phoenix is a rapidly growing city.
The bolded is just a poor excuse. We could say Austin didn't become a big city until 30 years ago, but plenty of companies have relocated there, and to other Texas cities which were also rather smallish 60+ years ago. There has to be a valid reason for this, other than the tired out excuse that "Phoenix is a young city".

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
It's not necessary to have corporate headquarters nearby. Over 35 years I've worked for seven different companies. Only once did I work for a large company in the city where the corporate HQ exists.
No, it's not necessary if we lived somewhere like Springfield, MO or Minot, ND ... however, the nation's fifth largest city should be home to more corporate HQs. It's time to dump this outdated, small town mentality ONCE & FOR ALL!

Old 07-31-2021, 09:46 AM

3,408 posts, read 4,628,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The bolded is just a poor excuse. We could say Austin didn't become a big city until 30 years ago, but plenty of companies have relocated there, and to other Texas cities which were also rather smallish 60+ years ago. There has to be a valid reason for this, other than the tired out excuse that "Phoenix is a young city".

No, it's not necessary if we lived somewhere like Springfield, MO or Minot, ND ... however, the nation's fifth largest city should be home to more corporate HQs. It's time to dump this outdated, small town mentality ONCE & FOR ALL!
You think NIMBYs are bad in Phoenix, check out some of the local Prescott Facebook groups, they're 100x worse. The drawbridge mentality is downright ridiculous, it screams tribalism. Some of them want to be stuck in the 1950s.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:10 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PermanentPhoenixResident View Post
I'm looking for a Social Work Internship to work with children and their families. I finally got responses after waiting all this time. Is finding anything in social work or counseling careers challenging in Phoenix?
Go to the State jobs website. DCS is always hiring. Lots of social service providers around town. It’s low wage work but there’s plenty of it

Old 07-31-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Go to the State jobs website. DCS is always hiring. Lots of social service providers around town. It’s low wage work but there’s plenty of it
Will DCS make you relocate at any given time? I don't want to work for a company that sends their employees to Tucson, Flagstaff, Page, or anywhere else in Arizona. I know DCS is a state agency. I would not want to live in Show Low or Bullhead City. My goal is to work and own property in Phoenix.

Old 07-31-2021, 07:21 PM

2,378 posts, read 2,706,879 times
Quote:
So I noticed how hard it is to find a job in the Phoenix area. I am looking for an internship, even one that is unpaid. I noticed how hard it is to find a job or internship in the Phoenix area. Why is this? Why is Phoenix very competitive compared to other big cities such as Chicago, Washington DC, Miami, Denver, etc? It seems much easier to find a job anywhere else, even in the northeast cities. Why so hard in Phoenix? Do many people desire to move over here?

With this being said, how can I find an internship and a job in the Phoenix area? What do I need to do?

First, are you saying you have tried job-hunting in those four cities you mention? I somehow doubt it.

Second, if you want advice, don't you think you would have done better to tell us how and where you've been looking so far?

It seems very odd to me that someone would simply announce they're just looking for any old internship.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:17 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,807,379 times
Quote:
Will DCS make you relocate at any given time? I don't want to work for a company that sends their employees to Tucson, Flagstaff, Page, or anywhere else in Arizona. I know DCS is a state agency. I would not want to live in Show Low or Bullhead City. My goal is to work and own property in Phoenix.

None of us work there. Apply and find out.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
First, are you saying you have tried job-hunting in those four cities you mention? I somehow doubt it.

Second, if you want advice, don't you think you would have done better to tell us how and where you've been looking so far?

It seems very odd to me that someone would simply announce they're just looking for any old internship.
I was up in Washington DC recently and a lyft driver said anybody can get a job there and how easy it is to find a job. I started thinking it's easier to find jobs in other big cities.

Old 07-31-2021, 11:04 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,722,873 times
Quote:
I was up in Washington DC recently and a lyft driver said anybody can get a job there and how easy it is to find a job. I started thinking it's easier to find jobs in other big cities.
Just out of curiosity, what's your degree in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area