Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 03:19 PM

9,741 posts, read 11,156,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
You couldn’t pay me to do a 6k elevation climb on a windy, narrow, and high traffic corridor like the I-17 with a full rental truck and then hauling a trailer. And going through Payson or something is no different. Flat land all the way when possible.
The Op would be going down I-17, not up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 03:46 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,225,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
The Op would be going down I-17, not up.
Not if he lives in Phoenix and wants to take the 140 east to TX.

Old 08-19-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
Not if he lives in Phoenix and wants to take the 140 east to TX.
I stand corrected. I read that he was coming to PHX (but he is leaving PHX). Yea... Plus, he is pulling a CAR. I agree with Prickly Pear: there is no way would I signup for that venture. The wind and winding would not bother me because he couldn't go over 40 MPH most of the way up. It would be so slow that an illegal could jump on his car while driving up the I17. JUST kidding (I'm playing into his fear)! Getting flipped off in the slow lane will be his biggest problem.

Old 08-19-2021, 04:21 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,049,080 times
Going up is less risky than the down part, but flat is better.

Old 08-19-2021, 06:24 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
My first reaction was "oh, for heaven's sake". Anyway I-10 is perfectly safe from the things you fear. I've driven that route twice since April. Nary an immigrant in sight. I've traveled I40 more times than I can count. The traffic on I40 is nothing but bumper to bumper semis that are gonna blow you around on the road. It never lets up. And the road is full of potholes along the shoulders and rough - even in Arizona. The climb out of ABQ is a white knuckler if you are not used to a long rig with cars zooming by at 80 mph. As a previous poster mentioned you have three climbs over 7000 feet on I40 versus two of about 4000 on I-10. I-10 is better all around not to mention the most direct route.

The worst part of I10 is probably the stretch southeast of Tucson where it is two lanes and really needs to be more.

Old 08-20-2021, 05:48 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,472,476 times
I've driven a rental truck while towing a car up and down I-17 in the past (I'm a sucker for Arizona, have moved to Phoenix & Tucson from out of state 4 times). Never again, the most nervous I've ever been when driving was going down the grades of I-17 and you can feel the car you're towing pushing you along, combined with a less than stellar rental with bad shocks and I was the very definition of white knuckle driving.

Old 08-20-2021, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
I've driven a rental truck while towing a car up and down I-17 in the past (I'm a sucker for Arizona, have moved to Phoenix & Tucson from out of state 4 times). Never again, the most nervous I've ever been when driving was going down the grades of I-17 and you can feel the car you're towing pushing you along, combined with a less than stellar rental with bad shocks and I was the very definition of white knuckle driving.
You let out some bad memories. I remember feeling that "push" driving a 27 footer (no car) down the I-17. I was downshifting and "enjoyed" the humming sound of those high RPM's. I will say, I actually watched for those runaway ramps. The old UHaul that I was driving didn't give me a lot of breaking confidence. It doesn't take long for breaks to heat up.

To the Op. Take the 10!

Old 08-20-2021, 07:53 AM

Looking at the Op's profile page that (shows his status, he didn't bother coming back and look at people's suggestions. Typical.

Old 08-20-2021, 08:33 AM

33,322 posts, read 12,505,496 times
Quote:
A quick google says the distance is a whopping 10 miles between all three routes. There is a 40 minute time savings by taking the I-10. You might want to ask about this on the Tucson forum versus PHX. If I was worried whatsoever, I'd pick one of the other paths and call it a day. If it was a 5-hour difference, then I would study it more.

Because of possible break-ins, would be more concerned about doing your research in picking a hotel in a safer area. So avoid staying in Las Vegas, NM. And my choice would be focused on a more interesting drive (natural beauty).

With all that said, I'd be more nervous about putting my name on a forum. Because according to google, a guy by the name of John Rabenius is now living in Chandler, AZ.
Why would you bring up Las Vegas, NM at all ?

Doing so doesn't make any sense.

If the OP took the northern route, the OP would be on I-40 the whole time through New Mexico.

Las Vegas, NM is on I-25 (NE of Albuquerque), not I-40.

Las Vegas, NM is 48 miles away from I-40 via U.S. Hwy 84.

If the OP hit the intersection of Hwy 84 and I-40 and was tired and wanted to find a hotel, it would make sense to continue another 17 miles on I-40 to Santa Rosa, NM, not to drive 48 miles on Hwy 84 to Las Vegas, NM.

ETA: Going the other direction, one would stop in Santa Rosa, not go 17 more miles in order to then go 48 additional miles off route.

Old 08-20-2021, 12:45 PM

7,503 posts, read 4,349,181 times
Quote:
Interest. I never thought of heading out there by rail. We have a 32-pound pooch. Delta and others have a moratorium for dogs flying in the cargo area. I suppose we should blame COVID. Therefore, I have to drive back and forth which is a PITA (I do it in two punishing days while my wife flies).

The average house value is $125K with an average income of $27K. I mean, what could go wrong? http:////www.city-data.com/city/Las-...ew-Mexico.html I'd highly recommend the local Arby's. It is so run down, it needs a bulldozer. I think this is the largest employer in town. https://www.orkin.com/locations/new-mexico-nm/las-vegas
I absolutely refuse to fly, and the train sure beats driving. We took the Lake Shore Limited from New York to Chicago then the Southwest Chief from Chicago to Flagstaff.

The train pulls into the station, an attendant comes out to greet you, you hop on board and off you go. All within about 10 minutes depending on how many are embarking and disembarking. We'd leave New York on a Friday afternoon arrive in Chicago at around 9:00 Saturday morning. Leave Chicago at 3:00 in the afternoon, arrive in Dodge City KS at around 6:00 Sunday morning and arrive in Flagstaff around 9:00 Sunday night. If you need a vehicle at your final destination you have to reserve one. If you don't have a reservation you won't be able to rent a car at the station. An agent from the rental car agency will be there when the train arrives only for those that have a reservation. Even if the train is running late. I believe that option's available at all of the Amtrak stations along the entire route. For obvious reasons pets are not allowed on the train for long distance travel. Pets on Amtrak***

The route is scheduled so that you're sleeping when there's not that much to see. At least for our trip the 6 hour layover in Chicago wasn't bad. Union Station and that section of Chicago was pretty nice for a city. We got to go out and wander around W Adams, Canal and Van Buren St. There's some pretty nice places to eat.

Yeah, we saw a lot of impoverished places throughout New Mexico. Las Vegas was probably the worst. Huge swaths of Albuquerque weren't much better. But then again what we saw was from the train and driving through the state when we moved out here. We didn't have the opportunity to go exploring around. Landscape wise the state was absolutely beautiful. Not as nice as Arizona though.

Quote:
Pets on Amtrak***
https://www.amtrak.com/pets
Dogs and cats up to 20 pounds (combined weight of pet and carrier) are welcome on trips up to seven hours on most routes (some restrictions apply*). Our check-in process is simple, making traveling with your four-legged friend easy and enjoyable. *Travel with pets in Canada not available on Adirondack, Maple Leaf and Amtrak Cascades; not available on Auto Train, Keystone Service, Pennsylvanian, San Joaquins, Capitol Corridor Pacific Surfliner or Thruway Connecting Services.

All Aboard! Amtrak Now Accepting Pets on Some Trains
https://www.nbcnews.com/business/tra...-trains-n91641

Last edited by Ex New Yorker; 08-20-2021 at 12:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area