Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 05:33 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Why would you bring up Las Vegas, NM at all ?

Doing so doesn't make any sense.

If the OP took the northern route, the OP would be on I-40 the whole time through New Mexico.

Las Vegas, NM is on I-25 (NE of Albuquerque), not I-40.

Las Vegas, NM is 48 miles away from I-40 via U.S. Hwy 84.

If the OP hit the intersection of Hwy 84 and I-40 and was tired and wanted to find a hotel, it would make sense to continue another 17 miles on I-40 to Santa Rosa, NM, not to drive 48 miles on Hwy 84 to Las Vegas, NM.

ETA: Going the other direction, one would stop in Santa Rosa, not go 17 more miles in order to then go 48 additional miles off route.
Maybe meant Gallup on I-40 or Las Cruces on I-10. Gallup is a s-hole but does have some decent mid-range accommodations. Las Cruces is better in both regards, but too close for a stop. Deming has some decent lodging. Van Horn is my target going that way. It ain't much but my needs are modest.

On 40, I try to get to Moriarty at least but find Tucumcari quite doable from Phoenix as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 06:26 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,806,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Maybe meant Gallup on I-40 or Las Cruces on I-10. Gallup is a s-hole but does have some decent mid-range accommodations. Las Cruces is better in both regards, but too close for a stop. Deming has some decent lodging. Van Horn is my target going that way. It ain't much but my needs are modest.

On 40, I try to get to Moriarty at least but find Tucumcari quite doable from Phoenix as well.
Or you could just avoid the I-40 and take the I-10 when driving to Texas, it’s a lot easier

Old 08-21-2021, 05:28 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Why would you bring up Las Vegas, NM at all ?

Doing so doesn't make any sense.

If the OP took the northern route, the OP would be on I-40 the whole time through New Mexico.
Point taken. Then he should be more nervous about parking his UHaul here https://www.city-data.com/city/Gallup-New-Mexico.html versus driving on the I-10. The crime index in Gallop, NM is 3X higher. I've stayed there. It's a sh*hole. If I drove up in a UHaul, I might as well keep one eye open all night. I've stayed at El Rancho which is a very cool and historic hotel. YMMV (pun intended).

Old 08-26-2021, 01:36 AM

2 posts, read 927 times
Post Travelling, Too, To Tx- Tonight!

Thank you everyone, for your dedication to this thread and offering your best knowledge regarding route options.

I'm going to Midland to stay on my cousin's land for a while, try to save some money, as this place, my beautiful hometown, has been completely blown up in population, cost of living, investor-mania (goes along with eviction-mania and landlord-tyranny) and now I can't afford to live here right now. As an honorably discharged US Veteran, I'm suffering the aftermath of a bitter divorce- my ex husband left me for dead, basically.

No, nobody asked for all that- but my reasons are genuine in the concern of a new housing crisis that affects many by the rapid population influx skyrocketing cost of living... If the cost of living goes up to the levels of the states of those that choose to move here- THEN SO SHOULD WAGES, accordingly, so that it's not just those coming in with money and those in real estate benefitting.

Businesses don't want to pay the increase in wages demanded by cost of living because they enjoy that bump in profit- greedy.

So, it really isn't very cool to look down our noses at those less fortunate, such as in Las Vegas, NM or Gallop. Going through those towns and buying gas there, might be an act of bravery, but really, it's going to lend to the paychecks of those impoverished in the area.

Quick note:
Poverty isn't a place on a map in a far away country, to which people choose to come and go freely- People do not live in poverty because they choose to be there...they live there, because it is very hard to escape. Very hard. There are a few success stories that people like to cling to and judge the rest as people that, "don't want to work," but check yourselves. Hire an impoverished person. And don't just do it for the tax break and then let them go.

I know this is completely off subject, but I will take any chance I get to hopefully reach out to the hearts of people in today's world.

If anyone read through this, thank you for that!

And seriously, this thread really helped me in my travelling qualms. I'm supposed to leave ASAP, as I have no AC and my dog gets hot, so dark time is cooler...anyway, please send prayers above and take care of this beautiful state!

Respectfully,

Me

Old 08-30-2021, 07:46 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,169 times
I'd look to see if the routes had any good restaurants along the way.

Old 08-30-2021, 08:35 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I'd look to see if the routes had any good restaurants along the way.
For years I have stopped for the Laguna Burger when travelling I40. There are two places to get one: at the Laguna 66 Pit Stop and the Rio Puerco 66 Pit Stop. The first is more rustic looking like a trading post and the second is a restaurant next to the Phillips 66 station. Rio Puerco has more seating but Laguna's got more character. Either way, a must stop for me.

https://www.newmexico.org/listing/laguna-burger/2351/

Old 08-31-2021, 12:46 AM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
For years I have stopped for the Laguna Burger when travelling I40. There are two places to get one: at the Laguna 66 Pit Stop and the Rio Puerco 66 Pit Stop. The first is more rustic looking like a trading post and the second is a restaurant next to the Phillips 66 station. Rio Puerco has more seating but Laguna's got more character. Either way, a must stop for me.

https://www.newmexico.org/listing/laguna-burger/2351/
I’ll second that. Those burgers are awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area