Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2021, 11:15 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times

Advertisements

https://www.12news.com/article/sport...8-2be6374be622

I know we've heard this song & dance before, but it was mostly threats & speculation. Now, it appears to be true. Phoenix's NHL team will need to find a new location in 2022. The question is: where? I'm hoping they can somehow move back downtown, or at least to a better location that's more centrally located than Westgate. It would be horrible if they move to the SRR, or out of the Phoenix area entirely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 02:48 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,981,668 times
Meruelo is currently in negotiations with Tempe. If a deal is reached there will remain a buffer between '22-'23 and how ever many years it takes to have an arena completed. Glendale is trying to play bad cop right now. It's their only card to play. With or without the NHL they are in for a bad time. They are better off with what ever hockey they can negotiate in the interim.

Old 08-21-2021, 04:45 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,112 times
Did they build the Gila arena just for the coyotes? If they Yotes leave, what will Glendale do with that arena?

Old 08-21-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erfan916 View Post
Did they build the Gila arena just for the coyotes?
It was built as a multi purpose venue. The Coyotes have been there for about 18 years, but it was a horrible location to begin with. My understanding is that the NHL fan base is rather limited here, but it exists largely in the east Valley compared to the west side. The Coyotes' original home in downtown Phoenix was a much better location, so they really should either move back downtown or somewhere on the east side ... although not to the SRR as has been suggested.

Quote:
If they Yotes leave, what will Glendale do with that arena?
It's all about profits, and the Coyotes have not been profitable for Glendale. The city wants to focus on making that arena primarily a concert venue.

Old 08-21-2021, 05:28 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
Quote:
Did they build the Gila arena just for the coyotes? If they Yotes leave, what will Glendale do with that arena?
We will see, but it is Glendale that kicked them out this time. The team says they would like the city to reconsider. Back in '17 they were threatening Arizona that they would leave if they didn't get a downtown arena paid for by taxpayers. Now nobody wants these perennial losers.

Old 08-21-2021, 07:15 PM

414 posts, read 533,890 times
Go to the Madhouse. They used to have some good Roadrunner games there.

Old 08-22-2021, 12:59 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,657,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
It was built as a multi purpose venue. The Coyotes have been there for about 18 years, but it was a horrible location to begin with. My understanding is that the NHL fan base is rather limited here, but it exists largely in the east Valley compared to the west side. The Coyotes' original home in downtown Phoenix was a much better location, so they really should either move back downtown or somewhere on the east side ... although not to the SRR as has been suggested.

It's all about profits, and the Coyotes have not been profitable for Glendale. The city wants to focus on making that arena primarily a concert venue.

That's a puzzling decision. Why would a concert choose Glendale as a venue over downtown Phoenix?

Old 08-22-2021, 01:55 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
Glendale city council paid for a study that juxtaposes money spent at hockey games vs. money spent at concerts. They determined that folks spend more time & money at concerts, et al.

Heh.

They've never been to Detroit.

Old 08-22-2021, 02:44 PM

Quote:
That's a puzzling decision. Why would a concert choose Glendale as a venue over downtown Phoenix?
I completely agree, but it's all part of the warped mentality which caused the Coyotes to move to Glendale in the first place. In the early 2000s, people on the west side were whining that the sports & entertainment venues were confined to central Phoenix & the east Valley, and the west Valley was being left out. The Cards Stadium was originally planned to be built near the 202 & Priest in Tempe, which would have been a much more sensible location than where it is now. But for various reasons, the Tempe location was scrapped, and a deal was reached with Glendale to build Westgate. At that time, it was literally in the middle of nowhere (and still is considered too far away for many people).

Getting to Gila River Arena is a nightmare for somebody in my location: crosstown surface streets with numerous stoplights, and still no reliable mass transit over there if you don't want to drive & fight the traffic. I remember going there in 2004 to see Mannheim Steamroller. Great concert, but horrible parking, and absolutely nothing around there for dining out. The last time I was there was in 2010 to see the legendary Paul McCartney, but I haven't had any need go to Westgate since. Most concerts or games that I care to see are in downtown Phoenix, and I can just take the light rail instead of having to deal with traffic & pay for parking.

Old 08-26-2021, 08:12 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,364,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
https://www.12news.com/article/sport...8-2be6374be622

I know we've heard this song & dance before, but it was mostly threats & speculation. Now, it appears to be true. Phoenix's NHL team will need to find a new location in 2022. The question is: where? I'm hoping they can somehow move back downtown, or at least to a better location that's more centrally located than Westgate. It would be horrible if they move to the SRR, or out of the Phoenix area entirely.
What's wrong with Salt River?

Where exactly would they put it out there?

Are they seriously in the running?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area