Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2021, 10:06 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,310,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
So, as I follow this pretty closely - a couple of points - some of which have been mentioned already:

1. This project is AT LEAST 10 years away if not much more. They are just now entering Phase II Environmental Reviews with no funding identified even for that at this point - and once they do get money that will take several years. HOWEVER, there are some significant funds identified for this project - about 300 million over 20 years - as part of the voter approved Pinal RTA sales tax hike in 2018. This sales tax was to be used for this and many other County projects.

BUT, while the money is being collected now, it is in escrow as we await the AZ Supreme Court to issue a ruling on the validity of the tax. Currently the appeals court has ruled it IS valid, and the Supreme Court did not issue an injunction to stop collecting the money - but, they heard oral arguments back in December of 2020 but have not released a decision. Unfortunately - the COST of projects has already increased a lot in this interim time - and even if found valid will not go as far as originally intended.

Of course the infrastructure bill(s) may allocate some money to this. In any case it is set to be done in phases - so even if the project BEGINS in 10 years - completion is more like 30 away.

2. No way I 10 widening between Casa Grande and Chandler waits for this. My guess is this will be the highest priority AZ project from any national infrastructure bill approved this year. Initial studies and route agreements with the GRIC are well underway for this already.
The problem is ADOT has a history of bungling & squandering the allotted funds, which is one big reason why the original 1985 freeway plan in the Phoenix area was never fully completed. It's also why the newer freeways approved in 2004 aren't completed yet. When it comes to road projects, ADOT is pretty slow, and their priorities are generally screwed up. Instead of building new freeways & widening the ones which are needed, they spent millions of dollars on rubberized asphalt, which barely lasts a year without cracking, chipping, and being a hazard to drivers.

I would say this project is more than 20 years away from even breaking ground. And while I'll agree that it's needed, there are other projects which should take priority, such as widening I10 between Chandler & Casa Grande, widening I17 between Anthem & Sunset Point, and other freeway projects in the Phoenix area. ADOT also needs to start work on Interstate 11. Nevada already has one major section of this new interstate completed south of Las Vegas, but ADOT doesn't even have the final plans drawn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2021, 02:56 PM

24,549 posts, read 26,107,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
Oh, that? Huh. When I think dangerous freeway, I'm thinking I-17 between Los Gatos and Santa Cruz in CA. It's surprising there's not a horrifically gruesome fatality every single day on that bit with the way people drive on such a dangerous stretch.
That would be CA17 not I-17.

Old 08-27-2021, 05:42 PM

411 posts, read 404,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The problem is ADOT has a history of bungling & squandering the allotted funds, which is one big reason why the original 1985 freeway plan in the Phoenix area was never fully completed. It's also why the newer freeways approved in 2004 aren't completed yet. When it comes to road projects, ADOT is pretty slow, and their priorities are generally screwed up. Instead of building new freeways & widening the ones which are needed, they spent millions of dollars on rubberized asphalt, which barely lasts a year without cracking, chipping, and being a hazard to drivers.

I would say this project is more than 20 years away from even breaking ground. And while I'll agree that it's needed, there are other projects which should take priority, such as widening I10 between Chandler & Casa Grande, widening I17 between Anthem & Sunset Point, and other freeway projects in the Phoenix area. ADOT also needs to start work on Interstate 11. Nevada already has one major section of this new interstate completed south of Las Vegas, but ADOT doesn't even have the final plans drawn!
Yeah now are scraping all the rubberized asphalt off to that diamond cut/shave whatever they call it, like on the 101 and parts of 202.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area