Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2021, 04:43 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,623,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Of course. It's a known fact that the more desirable an area is, the higher the home values generally are. Income is a factor as well. As the saying goes: a person can't expect to have a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget. If you want cheap home prices with some extra money to spare, you could always buy a home in a place like Chattanooga, TN and rent out a room to Bubba or Billy Bob. Even cheaper than that is McAllen, TX where there are high rates of poverty & unemployment ... but hey, at least you'd have a good amount of warm weather & sunshine!
Yeah, I don't think that philosophy is going to win many people over. People don't like being told they can't live somewhere, not to mention that their labor is usually still needed in the marketplace

Your fantasy of a Phoenix area only inhabited by rich people will never happen

Old 08-29-2021, 05:12 PM

9,747 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Yeah, I don't think that philosophy is going to win many people over. People don't like being told they can't live somewhere, not to mention that their labor is usually still needed in the marketplace

I didn't read his words that way. Rather, he prefers the Phoenix area inhabited by richer (more driven) people. Meaning, his hot buttons are people coming here for the sun and low COL. Currently, it's getting more spendy. Let's call in pseudo gentrification. I mean, who would you rather live around? It's a key reason why I moved. Check out Brookside II Sports Bar and Grille in Surprise. It's a gem! Nothing finer than dining while watching Ultimate Fighting. Of course there are some great areas in Surprise. But there is some... Well.... Interesting folks.

Old 08-29-2021, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I didn't read his words that way. Rather, he prefers the Phoenix area inhabited by richer (more driven) people. Meaning, his hot buttons are people coming here for the sun and low COL. Currently, it's getting more spendy. Let's call in pseudo gentrification. I mean, who would you rather live around? It's a key reason why I moved. Check out Brookside II Sports Bar and Grille in Surprise. It's a gem! Nothing finer than dining while watching Ultimate Fighting. Of course there are some great areas in Surprise. But there is some... Well.... Interesting folks.
I'm more familiar with him than you are. He hates poor people, absolutely despises their existence, and wants them all gone from this area

Old 08-29-2021, 05:28 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,923,056 times
does he "hate" "poor people", or ,just want more motivated and people with higher goals to move here?

"hating", is alot different than "desirous of better"

Old 08-29-2021, 05:41 PM

13,783 posts, read 8,019,999 times
Quote:

Of course not but today when I list a rental home in the Phx metro I'm seeing adults (unrelated) apply together. This is very common in a city like SF and how many afford to stay there. Today, if someone works in Phx but can no longer afford an apartment they will need to live in another city and commute or move with a roommate or two.

But what they can't do is demand the cost of housing remain the same because they can't afford what their neighbors pay. Supply and demand dictates the cost. I've mentioned before I have had Mesa tenants who moved from Scottsdale and Tempe after being priced out.

And speaking of supply and demand: I received an email this morning from *Zillow - market report/85249 zip. Currently 474k up from 446k in 2020. Prediction: 11% increase next year. Homes for sale 131. Recently sold 77.

*Zillow isn't as in-depth or as accurate as the Comford Report which is the go-to guide for the AZ housing market. However, it does show a tread. In other words 85249 will likely go up next year but not necessarily 11% or even close to that number.

My guess is next year my property- 85249 will max out around 500k and the rent- $2600- 2800.

Last edited by john3232; 08-29-2021 at 06:26 PM..

Old 08-29-2021, 05:55 PM

2,385 posts, read 2,715,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinezac View Post
The Valley’s housing market is still red-hot! According to new data from the Arizona Regional Multiple Listing Service, home prices jumped $100,000 dollars in just one year in Maricopa County. MLS data shows the median price for a single-family detached home rose to $450,000 in July, compared to $350,000 a year ago.

I get the impression that you're pleased that we're becoming uinaffordable.

Old 08-29-2021, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I get the impression that you're pleased that we're becoming uinaffordable.
Guessing that poster already owns a house, incumbent owners love rising property values (everyone else, including their children, don't)

Old 08-29-2021, 06:18 PM

9,747 posts, read 11,171,717 times
Quote:
I'm more familiar with him than you are. He hates poor people, absolutely despises their existence, and wants them all gone from this area
Wow. That's a pretty strong statement. Are you saying he wants to install gas chambers?

If you wouldn't mind, what about me???

Old 08-29-2021, 06:18 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,923,056 times
Quote:
Guessing that poster already owns a house, incumbent owners love rising property values (everyone else, including their children, don't)
my children love rising property values, as it increases their inheritance..

Old 08-29-2021, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wase4711 View Post
my children love rising property values, as it increases their inheritance..
I know you're retired, so guessing your kids are grown and don't live in the Valley. I was speaking of working people with kids between the ages of 18-30.

Reminds me of one time when I was at a Dennys in Ventura, CA grabbing breakfast, and there was a group of high school cheerleaders there, and the first thought that crossed my mind is that not one of these girls will probably still be living in SoCal in 10 years (because they will be priced out)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area