Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2021, 05:53 AM

9,802 posts, read 11,196,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Still doesn't prove anything, fact remains that only 1 in 3 people in the workforce have a college degree, which means that 2 out of 3 people (the majority) will not be earning $60k+ per year in their early 20's. It took me until I was 36 to earn that much
I haven't learned up to this point. I'm not going to convincing you much of anything because my posts fly over your head. I'll skip over your posts from here on out. You must have felt sorry for those guaranteed, statistically average cheerleaders! I mean, once they graduate, they are all off to Iowa working in a meatpacking plant for $13.50 an hour. Well, at least 2/3 of them.

Old 08-31-2021, 06:18 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,644,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I haven't learned up to this point. I'm not going to convincing you much of anything because my posts fly over your head. I'll skip over your posts from here on out. You must have felt sorry for those guaranteed, statistically average cheerleaders! I mean, once they graduate, they are all off to Iowa working in a meatpacking plant for $13.50 an hour. Well, at least 2/3 of them.
Your problem being in the upper class is you have both cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias. You are in a bubble and can't think outside of it. You are also out of touch with average Americans

Old 08-31-2021, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Your problem being in the upper class is you have both cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias. You are in a bubble and can't think outside of it. You are also out of touch with average Americans
Pot-Kettle! Meanwhile, as I've said 20 times before, we are where we are for a reason. I like to learn from successful people. You can do as you please and study the entire nation's averages. I want no part of average for my family.

Back on topic. August PHX housing market looks to be flatting out. John Wake discusses this topic https://arizonarealestatenotebook.co...lat-in-august/

Old 08-31-2021, 09:13 AM

13,852 posts, read 8,066,944 times
Quote:
Pot-Kettle! Meanwhile, as I've said 20 times before, we are where we are for a reason. I like to learn from successful people. You can do as you please and study the entire nation's averages. I want no part of average for my family.

Back on topic. August PHX housing market looks to be flatting out. John Wake discusses this topic https://arizonarealestatenotebook.co...lat-in-august/
The housing stock is still fairly low so this should keep home prices steady. I have two renters (from out of state) who signed a year lease (one lives in Chandler and the other renter in Gilbert) who told me there are planning to buy in the near future. However, they were waiting for prices to come down. Not sure how much if any prices will drop next year but I don't see them jumping either. My guess is home prices esp. in the more desirable areas will remain stable

What I would recommend is to start visiting homes on the market in areas you like. See the condition of the properties. Now, buyers and sellers are often told don't go too deep down the rabbit hole (internet.) Trust the professionals: RE agents. However, this is much easier said than done. You've got to do your own homework/footwork. Have the RE agent you decide on send you a link to the MLS showing home currently on the market and another link showing you what recently sold. The links should be tailored to a specific area. You can also specifies the size and things like pool (or no pool.) After several months you'll be very familiar with those areas. You'll know how long homes sit, how much over/under asking prices they sell.

A good RE agent isn't going to waste their time with flakes or those who make unreasonable demands. Show you mean business. Pre-qualify yourself for a loan. Clean up your credit. Ask for feeds to the MLS so you can research the market yourself.

Waiting for a "steal." Anything is possible and you might stumble upon a steal. However, realistically if a home on the market is a great deal the sharks or an RE agent will grab it. Usually paying cash.

There's a lot of good advice in this thread as well as on C/D regarding buying a home. Buying won't be easy but it can be done.

Last edited by john3232; 08-31-2021 at 10:38 AM..

Old 08-31-2021, 09:20 AM

1,695 posts, read 1,282,696 times
Quote:
Still doesn't prove anything, fact remains that only 1 in 3 people in the workforce have a college degree, which means that 2 out of 3 people (the majority) will not be earning $60k+ per year in their early 20's. It took me until I was 36 to earn that much
Since when does a college degree guarantee anything? A lot of college grads I know are in terrible shape. Mostly because they left with an unemployable major and took out a small fortune in student loans. No longer do you need a college degree to do well in this country (obviously with the exception for certain careers such as doctor, lawyer, etc).

Point is, the argument that "not everyone has the resources to go to college, therefor they are destined for poverty" is a lie. It's all about inner drive, skills learned, and networking. Pretty simple formula.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:02 AM

13,852 posts, read 8,066,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Since when does a college degree guarantee anything? A lot of college grads I know are in terrible shape. Mostly because they left with an unemployable major and took out a small fortune in student loans. No longer do you need a college degree to do well in this country (obviously with the exception for certain careers such as doctor, lawyer, etc).

Point is, the argument that "not everyone has the resources to go to college, therefor they are destined for poverty" is a lie. It's all about inner drive, skills learned, and networking. Pretty simple formula.
Rarely is anything worthwhile in life easy. You can kiss the ass of a relative in hope of getting a fat inheritance or you can pray the government will come to your rescue. But realistically, it's up to you. You make your own way or you don't.

You want to buy a home in the Phx metro? It certainly is possible. Might not be exactly what you want but it can be done.

Old 08-31-2021, 10:15 AM

Quote:

MN said the average college graduate starting salary was $50k+/year, so I was pointing out that college grads are still a minority of the working age population

Old 08-31-2021, 10:52 AM

Quote:

We agree. If making money is the metric for success (and it is NOT my metric) then having plenty of drive in combo with being smart enough easily wins over brainpower alone. I have multiple friends who have another zero after their net worth than myself who own businesses in the trades. Think HVAC with 60 employees. Or a concrete contractor that has 5 crews.

Too many people assume a degree is the golden ticket. It’s not. And it is why the “average” degree only starts out at $50k. Yes, I meant to say the word “only”. Heck, bank tellers are making $50k at Bank of America. It’s no big deal. As I said, being average really means underachieving.

Old 08-31-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
We agree. If making money is the metric for success (and it is NOT my metric) then having plenty of drive in combo with being smart enough easily wins over brainpower alone. I have multiple friends who have another zero after their net worth than myself who own businesses in the trades. Think HVAC with 60 employees. Or a concrete contractor that has 5 crews.

Too many people assume a degree is the golden ticket. It’s not. And it is why the “average” degree only starts out at $50k. Yes, I meant to say the word “only”. Heck, bank tellers are making $50k at Bank of America. It’s no big deal. As I said, being average really means underachieving.
Nice to see the disdain you have for most people. :/

Old 09-01-2021, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Nice to see the disdain you have for most people. :/
Pot-Kettle again. You have disdain for people who are lapping you because they save money, have a plan, and kick butt. You "hate" landlords which is a really odd POV.

Often, average does mean underachieving. I positively know this will go over your head, but my comments are for others who read my words. Making sure I'm above "average" in important topics to me is a state of mind so I won't settle. In my view, "average" often (not always) comes from not trying hard. It takes effort and sacrifices not to coast. Often, people fail to learn from their mistakes and are not very good at taking advice from people who know more than they do. And some "average" people are great at explaining away why they are where they are. They forgot a lifelong journey of coasting. They will point to others that factually have a legitimate reason why they struggled. But they are unable to admit how they themselves screwed up. I digress.

So I don't like an average meal or enjoy an average movie. I'm thankful I don't have an average saving account and I don't have average children.

If you think the average American is great, have at it! read https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/07/tom-...n-america.html

The average American household is about $131,000 in debt.
The average American spends $69 a day.
The average American has $34 in their pocket.
The average American watches 33 hours of TV a week.
The average American reads just four books a year.
The average American works 34.4 hours per week.
The average American is 17 pounds overweight.
The average American spends 116 minutes a day, or about two hours, on social media.
The average American spends five hours a day on their cell phone.
A normal American consumes 11 alcoholic drinks a week.
The average American exercises just 17 minutes a day.
The average American has less than $1,000 in savings.
The average American makes about $48,000 a year.

Allow me to summarize for the people who get it (I know you won't). The average American makes $48K a year because they spend too much time watching TV, being on social media, drinking, and on their cell. They don't exercise or strive to become better because they are busy wasting their time. The average person lives such a careless and underachieving lifestyle, they don't save and they are in debt. And when crap hits the fan, often they blame others and want someone to save them. Why? Because in their mind, it's not their fault! Don't shoot the messenger. Before you blame the rich, yea, the system is gamed. And yes, someone struggling with mental illness has a pass. But most people are capable of grabbing or lifting themselves up 2-3 levels IF they wanted it bad enough but they don't. I don't chase money; I chase happiness. All I want is more money than I need in order to travel, to have a high quality of life in retirement etc. That's expensive!

I get we need dishwashers and custodians (my FIL was a custodian). Because people coast and behave irresponsibly, we will always have plenty of lower-paid workers. Because some people simply refuse to perform.

That rant might seem cruel. You can assume I have disdain for people. But as I like to say, people are where they are for a reason.

There is no reason to post because you are going to spin it to give "average" a pass. I already know what people in denial are going to say. In summary, I don't dislike average people like you dislike landlords. I wish people who want more in life followed the path by examining those average statistics ^^. Then, correcting their behavior and mindset. If they are happy, then I say go for it! But don't expect the government to fix their problems of wanting to coast. People need to apply some personal responsibility in this imperfect system and we will all be better for it.

Back on topic. Read https://www.usnews.com/news/best-cou...of-life-report Americans quality of life is declining. It stands to reason that this fast housing appreciation will have to roll off. And it seems like it is happening here in the PHX metro. But now that we know why ^^. A lot of people around the world want what we have. Fear not! We can teach them how not to save, coast in school, watch TV, etc. We can get ourselves back to be above "average" by ruining others. IMO, we are in decline in this county partially on the backs of the average ^^.

Last edited by MN-Born-n-Raised; 09-01-2021 at 05:21 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area