Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2021, 11:24 AM

13,754 posts, read 8,014,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
What's heartbreaking id sor those who provide rental properties to others be pilloried as "scumbags". They have costs, too. Their taxes go up. The cost of repairs and maintenance go up just as fast as anyone elses'. They have to buy insurance. But it's terrible for them to want to not only recoup their expenses but actually make money so they and their families can live?

Sorry, no... those who expect others to take the hit to provide "affordable housing" are the scumbags. Whining like this is one of the many reasons I got out of the rental business.

As long as I can evict tenants in a timely manner for breaking their lease agreement I will keep my rentals. Properly screening tenants relieves most of the headaches. The same with making sure everything is good working order before renters move in.

I still have on tenant which a property management company placed and like most renters accepted by a PM there have been problems. When I took over my rental properties I tried being an agreeable landlord but learned some renters will take advantage. Now it's pretty much no to everything.

No you can't pet-sit your sister dog while she's "in the hospital." No your cousins can't stay with you for "a couple of weeks", no you can't install a new outlets, no you can't swap the AC thermostat for a programable one without permission and no you can't use any AC filter you want. (I provide the AC filters.)

I run my rentals as a business. If renters aren't following their lease agreement I will move to evict them. And they understand this which make my life easier.

Last edited by john3232; 10-05-2021 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 04:58 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,619,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
What's heartbreaking id sor those who provide rental properties to others be pilloried as "scumbags". They have costs, too. Their taxes go up. The cost of repairs and maintenance go up just as fast as anyone elses'. They have to buy insurance. But it's terrible for them to want to not only recoup their expenses but actually make money so they and their families can live?

Sorry, no... those who expect others to take the hit to provide "affordable housing" are the scumbags. Whining like this is one of the many reasons I got out of the rental business.
Disagree with almost everything you posted

Old 10-07-2021, 12:36 AM

8,044 posts, read 12,271,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
Most metros/cities don't have all the available land metro Phoenix has tho. And I'm sure there's lots of infill land within Phoenix because:

"As a consequence Phoenix became a textbook case of urban sprawl for geographers. Even though it is the fifth most populated city, the large area gives it a low density rate of approximately 2,797 people per square mile."

Even if you take out park land, Phoenix is still behind a lot of other cities in density.
Many other metros have much more sprawl than Phoenix's does. The reason Phoenix seems so sprawling is the large land mass of the Valley cities. The city of Phoenix covers over 500 square miles, and a lot of the suburbs like Scottsdale, Peoria, Mesa, Surprise, and Buckeye have annexed a massive amount of square miles into their city limits. A good share of this land is still undeveloped, especially in Buckeye, Surprise, and the north part of Peoria.

I agree about the lower density, but it's largely due to the reasons I mentioned above. Phoenix alone has a number of master planned communities & districts (or "villages") within the city limits, and many of them look & feel like separate suburbs. In fact, I actually wish the city would deannex Paradise Valley Village, Deer Valley, Norterra, Desert Ridge, Laveen, and Ahwatukee. That alone would give Phoenix a higher density rate while reducing the city population, but it would still put Phoenix over the one million mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area