Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 09:07 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,782,633 times

Advertisements

We’re in the process of a new build. We signed March 1 (after being on a wait list for 3-4 months since they only release 3 lots per month due to supply chain issues) and will be lucky to be in our home by January 1. Supply issues seem to mostly be resolved but now we face labor shortages. I don’t feel comfortable sharing what our home costs but I’d imagine you’d be looking at a minimum of 9 months if you purchase a lot. In other words you should be reaching out to builders now if you want to be in your home within the next 12 months or so. I’d just narrow it down by area and you’ll see who builds where.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2021, 03:58 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,314,986 times
I suspect experiences and opinions of builders are a lot like that of banks and phone service providers, some people will love them and hate them based on their personal experiences.

My limited 2cts would be I've heard good things about Camelot Homes. I believe Toll Brothers and Cachet are descent too (not much data to go on but they stick out).

My wife and I are building with Shea Homes in the Estates at Eastmark right now and have been extremely impressed with them (probably about 3 months out, started last November). Had our own inspector come in for pre-drywall and had a lot of positive things to say about what he saw and Shea Homes in general (he grumbled some about working with Toll Brothers right now actually, not about the construction quality but wrong options and bad communication and mentioned having overall good experiences with Fulton but currently having problems in one community with them too).

When we started our home was definitely far lower than your price range, though it looks like with the crazy price increases things have jumped as much as $200k+-ish and have hit that for some models etc in the area. Shea builds some fairly lower price builds, but all the way to some 2 million+ areas in Paradise Valley and Scottsdale so they might have something you like.

Our sales agent was/is (mostly past the point of working with her) fantastic. We talked with a bunch of builders just as they started limiting building, so meant lists, lotteries, etc. Many of the builders got really unresponsive since there was way more demand than supply. Basically they were swamped and they didn't really need to be nice and go out of their way anymore lol. Shea didn't act like that (at least our agent), she was fantastic. We were moving from California (born and raised in West Phoenix so moving back, all my family stayed here) and been working through an agent and phone calls. Called them with just some basic price questions for upgrades. The following day my mother was driving around some neighborhoods for us to scope them out while were still in California, completely unplanned she drove by their Estates at Eastmark community, saw the number called and the agent immediate set up an appointment for her to come chat and walk the models (this was during the height of covid too, so scheduling in person things usually took a bunch of time ahead).

The building supervisors and everyone else has been beyond excellent ever since as well. Really impressed with them overall so far. Obviously we aren't done yet (they just finished drywall and interior doors and are doing painting) so can only speak from what we've experienced so far.

Toll Brothers was also pretty responsive when we checked out Bridle Ranch and Caleda in Queen Creek.

You probably already know but definitely expect to pay 20%-30% at least for upgrades beyond whatever base prices they list. Lot premiums, etc. I really liked Shea as well because their standards overall were the best (though standards differ between communities) so didn't nickel and dime things (though there still were a lot of upgrades that add up quite fast). I also got upgrade sheets from various builders (and upgrade prices), including Toll Brothers, Taylor Morrison, Maracay/Tri Pointe, and Shea of course and nearly all their upgrades were cheaper for the same things. The Shea Floor plans won us over the most, got one with the biggest open space living area of all the ones we looked (though really liked Toll Brothers floor plans as well as Camelot as well).

Last edited by Alandros; 09-22-2021 at 04:13 AM..

Old 09-22-2021, 02:32 PM

6,288 posts, read 3,477,299 times
Toll Brothers is my favored builder. I like their style and quality. As long as Arizona doesn’t do something stupid like outlaw constitutional carry, I plan on building in the East valley in a year or two, far far away from Phoenix proper, of course. But Toll Brothers will be the first builder I contact, and if I feel good about the deal, they will get my business.

So I would recommend at least contacting them and see if they are right for you. It’s possible you may not like their style better than the others, or it’s also possible you’re just not feeling the overall vibe from them. But it’s also very possible you will be like me and feel like it’s a good fit.

To be honest though,, most higher end builders should be good enough to get your business.

Old 09-24-2021, 12:22 PM

1,974 posts, read 2,330,460 times
https://www.calviswyant.com/

CALVIS WYANT | ARIZONA LUXURY CUSTOM HOME BUILDER SINCE 1986
8910 E. RAINTREE DR. #100, SCOTTSDALE, AZ 85260 | 480.905.0200
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area