Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 09:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno0909 View Post
just saying that it's possible to co-exist with people that have different viewpoints on life. We don't need to silo ourselves - one could argue that is a major part of what is wrong with this country right now.
lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno0909 View Post
i'll say that gilbert is still a very conservative city. A lot of trump supporters out here. So, based on some of your prior posts, i'll save you some time by telling you gilbert might not be a good fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 10:39 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,273,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
lol!
Yeah, I wrote that because the OP was very obvious in her disdain for conservative people. Just trying to be helpful. If she didn't like FH, she surely won't like Gilbert. I said "based on your prior posts."

Old 09-13-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Yeah, I wrote that because the OP was very obvious in her disdain for conservative people. Just trying to be helpful. If she didn't like FH, she surely won't like Gilbert. I said "based on your prior posts."
It's the same poster, yet when he/she acknowledged that in this post, you addressed it with disdain:

Quote:
I thought you people were supposed to be the tolerant ones. Now you won't even live in the same town as someone with differing political views? lol...sounds about right.

Make up your mind. Should she consider FH or Gilbert because silos are bad and we should all be "tolerant" or should she avoid those areas because of "her obvious in her disdain for conservative people"? You're arguing both sides of the coin. I don't think FH would be a fit, and that's fine. Gilbert may be alright as it's becoming more and more diverse.

Old 09-13-2021, 11:41 AM

Quote:
It's the same poster, yet when he/she acknowledged that in this post, you addressed it with disdain:

Make up your mind. Should she consider FH or Gilbert because silos are bad and we should all be "tolerant" or should she avoid those areas because of "her obvious in her disdain for conservative people"? You're arguing both sides of the coin. I don't think FH would be a fit, and that's fine. Gilbert may be alright as it's becoming more and more diverse.
I'm not arguing both sides of the coin. I'm saying "in reality" she should steer clear of FH and Gilbert based on her views of conservative people and publicly stating that she doesn't want to live by Trump supporters or Sherriff Joe. HOWEVER, "I think" it's foolish to silo where you live based on your political beliefs. I can have an opinion on something, yet still offer real-world advice that contradicts my opinion.

Old 09-13-2021, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I'm not arguing both sides of the coin. I'm saying "in reality" she should steer clear of FH and Gilbert based on her views of conservative people and publicly stating that she doesn't want to live by Trump supporters or Sherriff Joe. HOWEVER, "I think" it's foolish to silo where you live based on your political beliefs. I can have an opinion on something, yet still offer real-world advice that contradicts my opinion.
If you need help moving to Seattle, Austin or San Francisco just let us know.

Old 09-13-2021, 01:35 PM

Quote:
If you need help moving to Seattle, Austin or San Francisco just let us know.
If I thought those were great places for a family and were even remotely affordable, sure why not? They are all beautiful places.

But I do think it's completely ridiculous to say Fountain Hills is as extreme to the Right as San Francisco is to the Left. Driving through FH is just like driving through Anytown USA. Driving through San Fran is anything but.

Old 09-13-2021, 02:58 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
oh my lord. no way in H E double hockey sticks would I live where that man does. he was the sheriff when I lived in Arizona 25 years ago and he did nothing to make himself improve in my opinion over the years.
If one of your requirements is to be somewhere that leans more to the left, you probably won't like Chandler/Gilbert/Ahwatukee either.

Old 09-13-2021, 03:58 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
What I like about FH is that unlike most of the metro it has terrain. The roads rise and fall over ridges and washes.
It would be amazing if Fountain Hills got snow. Can you imagine?

Quote:
The downside is that it is dated, both in the housing stock and the people who live there.
Concours in the Hills is a yearly event in Fountain Hills that brings spectators from all over to ooh and aah over the amazing cars. I worked the 2020 event as a volunteer and talked to quite a few local couples who were not infirm or doddering on their last legs. They seemed vital and energized to me.

Old 09-13-2021, 05:02 PM

47 posts, read 34,076 times
Taffy is delicious.

Old 09-13-2021, 05:25 PM

342 posts, read 320,031 times
Sorry, I've offended again. It's true, I shouldn't judge based on people being conservative. That was wrong of me.

We're moving out of Kentucky in part because we're living in a very conservative area of Louisville and it's not our cup of tea. Yes, we can handle it fine, but we would enjoy living in a more diverse area. We were looking at Tucson, Denver, Colorado Springs and Seattle until this opportunity came up to move to Phoenix. We even briefly toyed with Atlanta when another job opportunity was presenting itself (but then fell through.)

Our youngest son is Hispanic, with about 10% African heritage, too, and it would be nice to allow him to live in an area with more diversity than what we have in our area of Kentucky. One time when our son was 11 years old we walked into a restaurant with him and a table full of white people in their 70's looked at my husband and I (we are white) and then our son, and then back at us, and their faces drew up in disgust. It was very apparent that they were making judgments based on our son being with us. What they were assuming or thinking, I have no idea. but it was ugly. Luckily he didn't see what happened.

So it's not really the politics, when I get down to it, as much as the conservative nature and closed mindedness of some of the individuals when they see a mixed-race family. I'm a live and let live kind of person. My son goes to Catholic school, yet my husband is an atheist. I'm fine with whatever people what to believe. I just don't want them to make horrible faces at me and my family when we walk into a restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area