Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2021, 05:45 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,654,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
Sorry, I've offended again. It's true, I shouldn't judge based on people being conservative. That was wrong of me.

We're moving out of Kentucky in part because we're living in a very conservative area of Louisville and it's not our cup of tea. Yes, we can handle it fine, but we would enjoy living in a more diverse area. We were looking at Tucson, Denver, Colorado Springs and Seattle until this opportunity came up to move to Phoenix. We even briefly toyed with Atlanta when another job opportunity was presenting itself (but then fell through.)

Our youngest son is Hispanic, with about 10% African heritage, too, and it would be nice to allow him to live in an area with more diversity than what we have in our area of Kentucky. One time when our son was 11 years old we walked into a restaurant with him and a table full of white people in their 70's looked at my husband and I (we are white) and then our son, and then back at us, and their faces drew up in disgust. It was very apparent that they were making judgments based on our son being with us. What they were assuming or thinking, I have no idea. but it was ugly. Luckily he didn't see what happened.

So it's not really the politics, when I get down to it, as much as the conservative nature and closed mindedness of some of the individuals when they see a mixed-race family. I'm a live and let live kind of person. My son goes to Catholic school, yet my husband is an atheist. I'm fine with whatever people what to believe. I just don't want them to make horrible faces at me and my family when we walk into a restaurant.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised about the area as a whole. It can be quite diverse. Central Phoenix is the more liberal area and can be very nice. Tempe around the university is as well. Even in the suburbs I think you and your son will feel comfortable and safe.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 07:04 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,756,620 times
Quote:
Sorry, I've offended again. It's true, I shouldn't judge based on people being conservative. That was wrong of me.

We're moving out of Kentucky in part because we're living in a very conservative area of Louisville and it's not our cup of tea. Yes, we can handle it fine, but we would enjoy living in a more diverse area. We were looking at Tucson, Denver, Colorado Springs and Seattle until this opportunity came up to move to Phoenix. We even briefly toyed with Atlanta when another job opportunity was presenting itself (but then fell through.)

Our youngest son is Hispanic, with about 10% African heritage, too, and it would be nice to allow him to live in an area with more diversity than what we have in our area of Kentucky. One time when our son was 11 years old we walked into a restaurant with him and a table full of white people in their 70's looked at my husband and I (we are white) and then our son, and then back at us, and their faces drew up in disgust. It was very apparent that they were making judgments based on our son being with us. What they were assuming or thinking, I have no idea. but it was ugly. Luckily he didn't see what happened.

So it's not really the politics, when I get down to it, as much as the conservative nature and closed mindedness of some of the individuals when they see a mixed-race family. I'm a live and let live kind of person. My son goes to Catholic school, yet my husband is an atheist. I'm fine with whatever people what to believe. I just don't want them to make horrible faces at me and my family when we walk into a restaurant.
This is a gross generalization about a great city and if true, can happen anywhere. Blaming a whole city for one event is preposterous. At the end of the day, every top 50 city is pretty similar. Louisville has the fastest growing immigrant population of any major city outside Columbus. I'd suggest exploring more areas and moving to a very diverse neighborhood like Beechmont.

Stereotyping 1.3 M people of a great city based on one possible experience isn't exactly good IMO.

If it is time to move, that's great but bashing an entire region is not ok. There's enough sterotypes about KY and other states that are completely unfair.

You can be racially profiled in any city. I can literally provide thousands of examples on the internet. One thing about Louisville is I see TONS of interracial couples. This is particulary true inside the Watterson. I would say move for weather, jobs, or money. But if it's just one experience, try a different neighborhood and don't hold 1.3 million others responsible. By the way, yuour experience is very questionable. You are stereotyping that group based on skin as much as they were stereotyping you. They could have been making faces based on anything.[mod cut - politics]

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 09-14-2021 at 10:45 AM..

Old 09-13-2021, 08:29 PM

566 posts, read 574,527 times
I'll plug my neighborhood for you. Not exactly what you're looking for but maybe you'd like it. We are in Moon Valley. Close to everything. Great commute for you and longer for your husband but not horrendous. You could manage Brophy from here but our HS is Thunderbird and is an A rated school and is a smaller high school. I have been very pleased with it. It's very diverse. We are a multi ethnic family so that matters to us a lot. We have mountain trails right out our back door and a golf course. While you couldn't get a new house (older established neighborhood) you could get an updated house on the golf course with mountain views and a huge lot in your price point. Our neighborhood is about fifty fifty liberal vs. conservative politically, and super community oriented. Every amenity is extremely close by. We have been here 3 years and moved from the East Coast. I adore my neighborhood and would never move anywhere else in the Valley.

ETA: I fully admit to stereotyping certain areas of the country because there is usually something grounded in it. All white families do not understand this. It is not something they have lived with so that is understandable. We would never live in the deep South. We also have areas of the Phoenix metro we won't touch. Private message me if you'd like to chat.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:53 PM

9,750 posts, read 11,174,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Yeah, I wrote that because the OP was very obvious in her disdain for conservative people. Just trying to be helpful. If she didn't like FH, she surely won't like Gilbert.
Sheriff Joe was a showboat. IMO, a major jerk. He loved being in the spot light. There are liberal jerks as well.

So my disdain for him has nothing to do with his politics. Still, If he lived on my block, I certainly would not avoid the neighborhood.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:11 AM

44,638 posts, read 61,661,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
It would be amazing if Fountain Hills got snow. Can you imagine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDcsCFIU-fY

Old 09-14-2021, 04:03 AM

6,139 posts, read 3,362,970 times
Quote:

I don’t find Fountain Hills to be all that conservative. I’d put FH as close to even, or moderately conservative, at best.

I’d be absolutely shocked if any white person there voiced anything derogatory towards your son, or showed any overt body language that would suggest racism.

In my opinion, the vast majority of perceived racism is nothing more than unease of strangers. I don’t care what race you are, if I don’t know you, I’m going to be wary about you until I get to know you. If I’m standoffish towards a white person, they would just think I’m a jerk. But if I’m equally as standoffish toward a POC, it’s automatically thought of as racism, which isn’t true.

Old 09-14-2021, 05:53 AM

342 posts, read 321,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
I'll plug my neighborhood for you. Not exactly what you're looking for but maybe you'd like it. We are in Moon Valley. Close to everything. Great commute for you and longer for your husband but not horrendous. You could manage Brophy from here but our HS is Thunderbird and is an A rated school and is a smaller high school. I have been very pleased with it. It's very diverse. We are a multi ethnic family so that matters to us a lot. We have mountain trails right out our back door and a golf course. While you couldn't get a new house (older established neighborhood) you could get an updated house on the golf course with mountain views and a huge lot in your price point. Our neighborhood is about fifty fifty liberal vs. conservative politically, and super community oriented. Every amenity is extremely close by. We have been here 3 years and moved from the East Coast. I adore my neighborhood and would never move anywhere else in the Valley.

ETA: I fully admit to stereotyping certain areas of the country because there is usually something grounded in it. All white families do not understand this. It is not something they have lived with so that is understandable. We would never live in the deep South. We also have areas of the Phoenix metro we won't touch. Private message me if you'd like to chat.
I have looked at some homes in Moon Valley and I find that area quite appealing. If my son can find a great public school that saves us money, all the better. Thanks for this perspective on the area. Much appreciated!!!

Old 09-14-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Sheriff Joe was a showboat. IMO, a major jerk. He loved being in the spot light. There are liberal jerks as well.

So my disdain for him has nothing to do with his politics. Still, If he lived on my block, I certainly would not avoid the neighborhood.
Remember the pink underwear? That was definitely showboating. That is what I remember most from him. That and the jail tents. ugh. He was so very proud of himself.

Old 09-14-2021, 07:33 AM

39,083 posts, read 51,266,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
I don’t find Fountain Hills to be all that conservative. I’d put FH as close to even, or moderately conservative, at best.

I’d be absolutely shocked if any white person there voiced anything derogatory towards your son, or showed any overt body language that would suggest racism.

In my opinion, the vast majority of perceived racism is nothing more than unease of strangers. I don’t care what race you are, if I don’t know you, I’m going to be wary about you until I get to know you. If I’m standoffish towards a white person, they would just think I’m a jerk. But if I’m equally as standoffish toward a POC, it’s automatically thought of as racism, which isn’t true.
I'm not sure I would agree on the last sentence (automatically?), but I do agree that experiencing derogatory anything towards their son would be highly unlikely ANYWHERE in the metro area - including FH. Most people living here came from somewhere else (with a growing number of the youngest having been born here), mostly the upper midwest and California and the vibe here is definitely not Kentucky. With respect to FH, it's upscale expensive so many of the people living there are/were college educated professionals and that is generally not the demographic of bigots. In years past FH was typical Arizona Republican conservative - small government, low taxes, and tolerant.

Old 09-14-2021, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm not sure I would agree on the last sentence (automatically?), but I do agree that experiencing derogatory anything towards their son would be highly unlikely ANYWHERE in the metro area - including FH. Most people living here came from somewhere else (with a growing number of the youngest having been born here), mostly the upper midwest and California and the vibe here is definitely not Kentucky. With respect to FH, it's upscale expensive so many of the people living there are/were college educated professionals and that is generally not the demographic of bigots. In years past FH was typical Arizona Republican conservative - small government, low taxes, and tolerant.
That's good to know, Ponderosa. I considered Phoenix to be a pretty diverse area when I lived there in the late 80's and 90's, especially with the wakeup call received when they lost the Super Bowl, and I know it's gotten much more diverse since then, too. So that shows you the difference in Phoenix vs. Kentucky. That I considered Phoenix diverse in comparison back then. Some pockets of Louisville have gotten diverse, and there are a few pockets in the outlying counties, but they are looked down upon. My ex-husband, who was Latino, once walked into Lowe's in a rural area of Kentucky, just about 20 miles from Louisville, and as he walked up, the two white customer service reps looked at each other and said in a low voice, "Oh no, do you speak Spanish?" It was so insulting that they assumed my US-born husband, who had a master's degree, didn't speak English. And of course they would spread that to others, some who might not speak English, and treat them with disdain as well.

Sadly, my ex-husband has passed away, far too young, and now we're an even more blended family and my second husband notices the looks more than I do, since it's newer to him and he was so surprised when people got that look of disgust when looking at a child. I'm not sure if they think that I must have been married to a man of another race/ethnicity (yes, and why the heck do they care?) or had a child with him (actually, no, I adopted my son but, again, why do they care?) But it's never people of my generation or younger, for the most part. That has only happened to me once, and it was hearsay through someone my friend went out with once, and never again, when he said something nasty about my son's skin color and what it meant about who I "must have dated/married" in the past. But that's what we're trying to get away from. It's just ugly and we're in our 50's ourselves now and we're tired of fighting it. We give up. I want my beautiful son to live somewhere where he's not looked at like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area