Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2021, 08:33 AM

1,688 posts, read 1,268,254 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
Sorry, I've offended again. It's true, I shouldn't judge based on people being conservative. That was wrong of me.

We're moving out of Kentucky in part because we're living in a very conservative area of Louisville and it's not our cup of tea. Yes, we can handle it fine, but we would enjoy living in a more diverse area. We were looking at Tucson, Denver, Colorado Springs and Seattle until this opportunity came up to move to Phoenix. We even briefly toyed with Atlanta when another job opportunity was presenting itself (but then fell through.)

Our youngest son is Hispanic, with about 10% African heritage, too, and it would be nice to allow him to live in an area with more diversity than what we have in our area of Kentucky. One time when our son was 11 years old we walked into a restaurant with him and a table full of white people in their 70's looked at my husband and I (we are white) and then our son, and then back at us, and their faces drew up in disgust. It was very apparent that they were making judgments based on our son being with us. What they were assuming or thinking, I have no idea. but it was ugly. Luckily he didn't see what happened.

So it's not really the politics, when I get down to it, as much as the conservative nature and closed mindedness of some of the individuals when they see a mixed-race family. I'm a live and let live kind of person. My son goes to Catholic school, yet my husband is an atheist. I'm fine with whatever people what to believe. I just don't want them to make horrible faces at me and my family when we walk into a restaurant.
Ok, well if it's really not about the politics, then you will really be fine anywhere in the Valley. I see mixed race couples all the time in Gilbert and no one even bats an eye. People out here keep to themselves and don't really care what you do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 09:03 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Quote:
Sorry, I've offended again. It's true, I shouldn't judge based on people being conservative. That was wrong of me.

We're moving out of Kentucky in part because we're living in a very conservative area of Louisville and it's not our cup of tea. Yes, we can handle it fine, but we would enjoy living in a more diverse area. We were looking at Tucson, Denver, Colorado Springs and Seattle until this opportunity came up to move to Phoenix. We even briefly toyed with Atlanta when another job opportunity was presenting itself (but then fell through.)

Our youngest son is Hispanic, with about 10% African heritage, too, and it would be nice to allow him to live in an area with more diversity than what we have in our area of Kentucky. One time when our son was 11 years old we walked into a restaurant with him and a table full of white people in their 70's looked at my husband and I (we are white) and then our son, and then back at us, and their faces drew up in disgust. It was very apparent that they were making judgments based on our son being with us. What they were assuming or thinking, I have no idea. but it was ugly. Luckily he didn't see what happened.

So it's not really the politics, when I get down to it, as much as the conservative nature and closed mindedness of some of the individuals when they see a mixed-race family. I'm a live and let live kind of person. My son goes to Catholic school, yet my husband is an atheist. I'm fine with whatever people what to believe. I just don't want them to make horrible faces at me and my family when we walk into a restaurant.
Then you'll be fine pretty much anywhere in the Valley. For the most part...no one cares about mixed race anything. Sure there are bigots out there but it is not like you have to associate with them.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:10 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post

Pretty, but not enough to go sledding on.

Old 09-14-2021, 10:57 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,763,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
This is a gross generalization about a great city and if true, can happen anywhere. Blaming a whole city for one event is preposterous. At the end of the day, every top 50 city is pretty similar. Louisville has the fastest growing immigrant population of any major city outside Columbus. I'd suggest exploring more areas and moving to a very diverse neighborhood like Beechmont.

Stereotyping 1.3 M people of a great city based on one possible experience isn't exactly good IMO.

If it is time to move, that's great but bashing an entire region is not ok. There's enough sterotypes about KY and other states that are completely unfair.

You can be racially profiled in any city. I can literally provide thousands of examples on the internet. One thing about Louisville is I see TONS of interracial couples. This is particulary true inside the Watterson. I would say move for weather, jobs, or money. But if it's just one experience, try a different neighborhood and don't hold 1.3 million others responsible. By the way, yuour experience is very questionable. You are stereotyping that group based on skin as much as they were stereotyping you. They could have been making faces based on anything.[mod cut - politics]
I believe it's her experience and not yours. It was an experience not "a possible experience" or "if true". And on top of that you call her experience "questionable".

Basically, you're calling her a liar. You weren't there so you don't know how she felt.

Sorry to tell you this but you just gave her, and possibly others, a reason to move out of there.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:22 PM

Quote:

I think Fountain Hills won't be a good fit because there are a lot of old people there and your son needs people his own age to socialize. Does he play sports? Music lessons? Other extra curricular activities? Perhaps you might want to consider the availability and proximity of those after-school activities.

The best thing I can suggest is that you rent for a year and check out the entire area. I live in north central Phoenix because it's close to everything , it's leafy and my daughter lives 6 houses away from mine. My congressional district is about 1/3 independents, 1/3 Democrats and 1/3 Republicans. The Republicans in my neighborhood appear to be "old school conservatives": highly educated, with good manners and not vociferous with their politics. You may want to check congressional districts in the area.

Two of my grandkids are 1/2 Hispanic and I have another grandson who is 1/2 Korean. The other 3 grandkids are white. When I get them all together and go out, nobody bats an eye. It also helps that this is the southwest and people tend to mind their own business.

Your family will be fine here.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Ok, well if it's really not about the politics, then you will really be fine anywhere in the Valley. I see mixed race couples all the time in Gilbert and no one even bats an eye. People out here keep to themselves and don't really care what you do.
i concur with your assessment.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
I'll plug my neighborhood for you. Not exactly what you're looking for but maybe you'd like it. We are in Moon Valley. Close to everything. Great commute for you and longer for your husband but not horrendous. You could manage Brophy from here but our HS is Thunderbird and is an A rated school and is a smaller high school. I have been very pleased with it. It's very diverse. We are a multi ethnic family so that matters to us a lot. We have mountain trails right out our back door and a golf course. While you couldn't get a new house (older established neighborhood) you could get an updated house on the golf course with mountain views and a huge lot in your price point. Our neighborhood is about fifty fifty liberal vs. conservative politically, and super community oriented. Every amenity is extremely close by. We have been here 3 years and moved from the East Coast. I adore my neighborhood and would never move anywhere else in the Valley.

ETA: I fully admit to stereotyping certain areas of the country because there is usually something grounded in it. All white families do not understand this. It is not something they have lived with so that is understandable. We would never live in the deep South. We also have areas of the Phoenix metro we won't touch. Private message me if you'd like to chat.
I think Moon Valley would be a good fit too. There are a lot of things kids can do there as well.

Thank you for plugging your neighborhood!

Old 09-15-2021, 05:54 AM

342 posts, read 318,959 times
Thanks so much for all the great information. I will definitely continue to do my research on neighborhoods, and look more into Moon Valley. I've talked to a couple of college friends who still live in the area and they've given me great info, and I'm also talking to work colleagues who live there, so it's quite helpful to blend their thoughts with the info I'm getting here.

And thank you very much, EDnurse, for getting it. It was definitely our experience and it was what happened. I appreciate the support.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:19 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Quote:

A lot of people don’t get how a certain look can let you know your dealing with a racist or prejudice . There are certain areas we avoid or avoided in our years of living around the USA and our travels because this vibe was prevalent, had nothing to do with presuming the politics of the place. That said many of the families I’ve seen going to FH downtown park on weekends are Hispanic . We’ve always been treated well there except once when a much older couple than us I tried to make us uncomfortable with dirty looks and speaking loudly about nasty liberals. Alas you can’t escape those types no matter where you go. After living in a very liberal town I can tell you there were one or two just as bad but from the other end of the political spectrum.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:01 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
I would say very scenic and safe but a mostly retired crowd (which I am). I don't think it's for a young family. It is close enough to Scottsdale to access what Scottsdale provides. Glad to know it's trumpy, my kind of place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area