Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2021, 11:06 AM

566 posts, read 572,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
You're judging other people by how they look at you and that can be discrimination based on looks. Don't you see how prejudice that makes you?

In my own experience, certain people of color behave a certain way to cause scorn on themselves. Just something to think about.
OMG seriously?!!! Please please please stop. Those of you who are white and have never lived the experience of a POC or of an interracial family have literally zero context. I don't think the OP was referring only to just looks. That's never all it is. My husband and I had a lady look at us once in that way in a supermarket when we were dating. THEN, she took an empty shopping cart and shoved it as us. We used to have a person in our neighborhood who would rollerblade past us, give us a look and then call my husband and children monkeys. We've been pulled over by cops for absolutely nothing and been treated in inappropriate ways. White people need to get over it when we ask about certain neighborhoods because believe me it's not only about looks. It's not only about wanting a find a place where "no one will care" For the love that is not what we are looking for. We are looking for areas where we will feel at home and that means seeing other families that look like ours. White people that live in all white neighborhoods already enjoy that feeling. Literally stop weighing in on questions where you have absolutely no business sharing your insights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2021, 11:12 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Fountain Hills has an average age of 60 or 20 years older than the average age of PHX metro. If someone is looking to have dinner at 4PM and go to bed at 7PM, I could think of no better spot! I will say, the views are stunning. Maybe the best views in the entire Valley?! Personally, I would move there in a heartbeat if it wasn't so senior.
OMG, 60 year olds. Run! Run for your life!

Wow. Never let it be said you traffic in stereotypes.

Old 09-17-2021, 11:45 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
OMG, 60 year olds. Run! Run for your life!

Wow. Never let it be said you traffic in stereotypes.
You missed a word "Average". Because of it, you changed the meaning of my post. 60 years isn't old. Hell, I'm 56. But with the average age of Fountain Hills 22 years older than the PHX area, then you have a lot of 70, 80, and 90-year-olds.

Re: stereotypes. More statistics. There is a correlation coefficient on just about every statistic. Do you need proof? Read https://sleepeducation.org/sleep-growing-older/
" Older adults usually become sleepier earlier in the evening and wake up earlier in the morning."

Follow the demographics. I was poking a little fun at the seniors. Or putting it another way, stereotypes occur for a reason. If we all play our cards right, we will live long enough to live up to that stereotype. What's next. Are you saying people don't need hearing aids when they age too?

Old 09-17-2021, 06:03 PM

369 posts, read 268,738 times
Default So you assume I'm white?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
OMG seriously?!!! Please please please stop. Those of you who are white and have never lived the experience of a POC or of an interracial family have literally zero context. I don't think the OP was referring only to just looks. That's never all it is. My husband and I had a lady look at us once in that way in a supermarket when we were dating. THEN, she took an empty shopping cart and shoved it as us. We used to have a person in our neighborhood who would rollerblade past us, give us a look and then call my husband and children monkeys. We've been pulled over by cops for absolutely nothing and been treated in inappropriate ways. White people need to get over it when we ask about certain neighborhoods because believe me it's not only about looks. It's not only about wanting a find a place where "no one will care" For the love that is not what we are looking for. We are looking for areas where we will feel at home and that means seeing other families that look like ours. White people that live in all white neighborhoods already enjoy that feeling. Literally stop weighing in on questions where you have absolutely no business sharing your insights.
I'm mixed race and I sometimes experienced glaring looks and comments too. I learned to realize they're the d0uchebags and they aren't worth getting upset about.

It's not only black people who get treated that way. The whole world is judgmental and that includes you. Be bigger than those jerks and go on with your life instead of wearing your pity party on your sleeve.

I've lived in Phoenix most of my life and I don't think you can find another big city that's as integrated and racially accepting as this.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:58 PM

13,689 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1948 View Post
This is a gross generalization about a great city and if true, can happen anywhere. Blaming a whole city for one event is preposterous. At the end of the day, every top 50 city is pretty similar. Louisville has the fastest growing immigrant population of any major city outside Columbus. I'd suggest exploring more areas and moving to a very diverse neighborhood like Beechmont.

Stereotyping 1.3 M people of a great city based on one possible experience isn't exactly good IMO.

If it is time to move, that's great but bashing an entire region is not ok. There's enough sterotypes about KY and other states that are completely unfair.

You can be racially profiled in any city. I can literally provide thousands of examples on the internet. One thing about Louisville is I see TONS of interracial couples. This is particulary true inside the Watterson. I would say move for weather, jobs, or money. But if it's just one experience, try a different neighborhood and don't hold 1.3 million others responsible. By the way, yuour experience is very questionable. You are stereotyping that group based on skin as much as they were stereotyping you. They could have been making faces based on anything.[mod cut - politics]
Years ago I was out one evening with a Black woman only to have a Black man suddenly walk up to us on the street. He turned to my date and said, "Just like you. Go after the White boy!" The woman didn't know this man and we quickly walked away. Fortunately, he didn't follow us.

Old 09-17-2021, 11:02 PM

566 posts, read 572,829 times
Quote:
I'm mixed race and I sometimes experienced glaring looks and comments too. I learned to realize they're the d0uchebags and they aren't worth getting upset about.

It's not only black people who get treated that way. The whole world is judgmental and that includes you. Be bigger than those jerks and go on with your life instead of wearing your pity party on your sleeve.

I've lived in Phoenix most of my life and I don't think you can find another big city that's as integrated and racially accepting as this.
You're missing my point. People were getting in a tizzy about the OP asking about it in terms of where she was looking to live. I love Phoenix and we've been very happy here, but I don't really care for people clutching their pearls if I or anyone else says there are some areas of the country where we just wouldn't be happy raising our family. If you asked those same people if they would be willing to move to an all black neighborhood with the same socio-economic demographic and the answer would be no. Are you raising children?

Old 09-18-2021, 08:12 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:

Your last sentence is what I see here. My community has significant numbers of blacks, Hispanics, Asian, whites and mixed race and I don't see people segregating on color like is common in many places I've lived and everybody seems to get along well, as it should be.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:00 AM

997 posts, read 709,774 times
This thread is interesting.
On June 30 of this year I visited Fountain Hills with my son and granddaughter to have a look. I live on the east coast. On this weekday, around 11 AM, the downtown seemed very quiet with few older people around. The Fountain Hills park was deserted save for a few Hispanic caretakers, who we said "Hello" to and asked about the Fountain. We waited over an hour for the Fountain to come on, but it did not.

It was a hot day, the temp had to be over 100 degrees, but not unbearable. The town looked clean and well kept, and there were nice mountain views. It was a scenic drive coming from Scottsdale. The homes around the park seemed upscale, and also we drove up some mountain drives and saw beautiful homes.

My limited impression was that of a scenic, quiet, upscale retirement town. Personally, I'd rather be closer to the shops and services in Scottsdale, if I were to move there for retirement. FH did not strike me as a place for young families with children.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:20 AM

13,689 posts, read 7,973,244 times
My wife isn't White and there have been no issues since moving to East Mesa.

You can’t possibly know someone’s true intent just by the way they look at you.

I can understand if something is said but otherwise you don't know.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:21 AM

369 posts, read 268,738 times
Default Put the past aside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringler24 View Post
You're missing my point. People were getting in a tizzy about the OP asking about it in terms of where she was looking to live. I love Phoenix and we've been very happy here, but I don't really care for people clutching their pearls if I or anyone else says there are some areas of the country where we just wouldn't be happy raising our family. If you asked those same people if they would be willing to move to an all black neighborhood with the same socio-economic demographic and the answer would be no. Are you raising children?
Your point was to emphasize how bad you and your family were treated. Look, I'm sure everyone of us faced some sort of rude treatment in our lives regardless of race, but I learned to get over it. We can't change stupid.

If you're very happy here and love Phoenix as you say, then let go of what happened in the past. A-holes come in all shapes, sizes and races. Just realize that and move on with your life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area