Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 08:55 PM

6,094 posts, read 3,336,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL78 View Post
I've been wondering what happened to all the arrogant North Scottsdale is the only place to live people. I thought we ditched this thinking around 2010.

To the OP, please do not listen to this person. Many of the dismissed places have diversity in them. Which is probably why they were slandered. Some of the cities dismissed have made national best places to live lists. If you do a Google Search "2021 Best Suburbs to Live in Phoenix" then the first link should be from Niche.com. I would say their ratings are pretty spot on. It is a good mix of East and West Valley.
Has nothing to do with “diversity” and has everything to do with crime. If someone wants to live in a higher crime area, that is certainly their prerogative. I don’t think most people do, though.

This Phoenix board makes no sense to me. People here don’t like it when the obvious is pointed out. The absolute fact is that crime is proliferating in the Valley, and it’s no secret as to where this is occurring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2021, 11:46 PM

843 posts, read 563,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post

On the East side, I prefer Paradise Valley, Fountain Hills, and North Scottsdale.

Chandler and Gilbert have some decent areas, but why stay there when the other three I mentioned are better?
No kidding? That's some real cutting edge analysis there! You failed to mention the reason that Paradise Valley, Fountain Hills, and North Scottsdale are "better" is because homes there are way more expensive on average than Gilbert and Chandler. They are practically a class or two above. That's why people "stay there" in Gilbert or Chandler, because they are more affordable and crime isn't a significant issue. Sorry, but you asked...

But I'll give you a pass for your poor comparison, since the OP did not state his budget. I tried to convince him/her to give us more info about his situation but he isn't really helping us help him.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by KO Stradivarius; 09-14-2021 at 12:27 AM..

Old 09-14-2021, 08:45 AM

717 posts, read 1,057,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoadSW7 View Post
Appreciate the replies, having moved to Seattle from Ireland, I found that a culture shock, so will be interested to see what I make of Phoenix when we visit in a couple of weeks. We'll do some driving around and hopefully view a couple of houses to get a feel.

TBH, I know next to nothing about Phoenix, but my in-laws just bought a house in Queen Creek with the intention to move down eventually, for what you can get for your $ despite the market at the moment is pretty amazing, and potentially give us more of a chance to spend time back in Europe.
Part of what you get for the money in Phoenix is months on end of temps over 100 degrees, a looming water crisis, and hundreds of miles of tract homes and strip malls. It’s basically the polar opposite of Europe or even Seattle, for that matter. Unlike many other cities, Phoenix has no barriers to development or endless sprawl - it’s just miles and miles of flat, empty, waterless desert.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:44 AM

50,779 posts, read 24,289,888 times
Quote:
The best place on the west side is Verrado.

Goodyear is mostly nice, except some areas around I-10. You can do a lot worse than Goodyear.

If you are definitely going to live on the West side, I’d also look at Litchfield Park too. Also, the part of Surprise, kind of where Peoria and Glendale intersect with it, is a good area. Most of Glendale is an absolute third world barrio, though.

But I wonder about the long term viability of places likes Goodyear and Litchfield Park and Peoria as the bad elements of Phoenix are steadily creeping outward. It might make sense to create some space between you and them, which is why Verrado is good, it has a buffer zone that will take awhile for the urban nonsense to spread to.

On the East side, I prefer Paradise Valley, Fountain Hills, and North Scottsdale.

Mesa and Tempe? No way would I live in those places, especially Mesa.

Chandler and Gilbert have some decent areas, but why stay there when the other three I mentioned are better?

Not sure someone from Seattle would like my recommendations, though.
A third world barrio? That's hyperbole.

Old 09-14-2021, 11:52 AM

915 posts, read 1,190,323 times
The craic is good on the east side. I rarely have a reason to venture west so I can't speak to that.

You didn't mention if you need proximity to a work location. If so that would also be a factor. Commuting from one side of the phx area to the other can be a nightmare.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:51 PM

18 posts, read 21,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsm113 View Post
The craic is good on the east side. I rarely have a reason to venture west so I can't speak to that.

You didn't mention if you need proximity to a work location. If so that would also be a factor. Commuting from one side of the phx area to the other can be a nightmare.
I do like the good craic being from Ireland and that.

Work is not an issue as I work from home and can work anywhere in the States really.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:01 PM

18 posts, read 21,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KO Stradivarius View Post
No kidding? That's some real cutting edge analysis there! You failed to mention the reason that Paradise Valley, Fountain Hills, and North Scottsdale are "better" is because homes there are way more expensive on average than Gilbert and Chandler. They are practically a class or two above. That's why people "stay there" in Gilbert or Chandler, because they are more affordable and crime isn't a significant issue. Sorry, but you asked...

But I'll give you a pass for your poor comparison, since the OP did not state his budget. I tried to convince him/her to give us more info about his situation but he isn't really helping us help him.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ideally would not want to spend anymore than $700k, and would rather be in the mid $600k, but have flexibility if the right home came up.

I appreciate your honesty on Paradise Valley etc... not sure my budget will extend to there, as I do want to be out of the States at least a month of year with my family, so funds needed for that, though can see myself spending time in Scottsdale, looks like they have some fantastic restaurants.

Big pull for Phoenix is some fantastic back gardens and nicer homes for the price in comparison to the Seattle suburbs. Schools are also important, my step kids went through the public system and I wasn't very impressed. My daughter is currently going private (3rd grade) , love her school and it's well under $10k per year.

Old 09-14-2021, 01:42 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,404,840 times
Quote:
The best place on the west side is Verrado.

Mesa and Tempe? No way would I live in those places, especially Mesa.'
'
Not sure what the issue is with Tempe, unless you are only speaking of the areas within a mile or so of campus, or some of the older areas west of Mill and north of Broadway.

I've lived in south Tempe for decades. Great place to live. Away from the campus, you don't know it's there.

Old 09-14-2021, 02:33 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,398 times
Ah, the good old east valley vs. west valley.

OP, if you had a real culture shock coming from Ireland to Seattle, it will be a lot worse coming from Seattle to Arizona. Arizona is a terrible™ place:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/ariz...not-think.html

Old 09-17-2021, 10:11 AM

1,943 posts, read 2,296,095 times
Vistancia, Verrado, Surprise, Marley Park, Wadell, Far North Peoria. Dove Valley Ranch, all west, and northwest very nice areas , bring money lots of money

https://vistancia.com/the-communities/the-village/

https://www.verrado.com/

https://www.surpriseregionalchamber....of-commerce.ht

https://marleypark.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area