Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2021, 12:24 PM

44,678 posts, read 61,809,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'm back to wearing a mask again but not really over covid fears. Masks do a great job on keeping one from getting all the other respiratory crud that is around this time of year with all the tourists in town. Several types of corona viruses, adenoviruses, influenza viruses, rotoviruses are in circulation. GermEx and masks. Stay out of restaurants and theaters. I'm good.
Plus 1 agree . And it's the responsible thing to do.

Old 11-24-2021, 04:02 PM

47 posts, read 34,450 times
I've decided to stop all day to day activites due to my fear of the virus. The end is near.

Old 11-24-2021, 06:27 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,935,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingLarry12 View Post
I've decided to stop all day to day activites due to my fear of the virus. The end is near.

its not near, its here..

Old 11-24-2021, 07:28 PM

13,979 posts, read 8,146,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingLarry12 View Post
And what we do in life... echoes in eternity.

Old 11-25-2021, 05:59 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,237,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Neil Young's favorite Costco had 100% mask compliance today.

Oh wait, this is in the Bay Area. Much of California goes maskless, but Silicon Valley is pretty good about masks. It's embarrassing when I get back to Scottsdale and see all the bare-faced people pretending there is no pandemic. Sometimes I go into Bashas' and other than the staff, I'm the only one wearing a mask.
We walked 1.5 miles to the San Fransisco Costco yesterday (off of 10th St). Heck, 90% of the people walking the sidewalks are masked up. That's accurate. Costco was swamped! I was hungry (no premade sushi?) so I grabbed a $1.50 hotdog and diet soda. But you had to eat it outside. Because if Costco got caught, they would have been fined $750 for not checking my vaccine card in combination with my ID. Needless to say, there was 100% compliance everywhere.... Or else. We went to a restaurant. Again, vaccine cards and ID were checked. I took a picture of my ID card on my phone which could have been doctored with ease. So I don't think many people who refuse to get vaccinated are sitting at home not eating in a restaurant. I digress....

Finishing up on San Faran, 785K people, and currently, 17 people are in the hospital with COVID. https://sf.gov/resource/2021/covid-19-data-and-reports Notice I didn't say, that 17 people are in the hospital because of COVID? That's because everyone is checked for COVID when they are admitted to the hospital. And even if you are asymptomatic, you are counted in that 17 total figure. As a reminder, 30% are asymptomatic. And add more people that are in the hospital for something else and happened to have a case of non-severe COVID.

Back to PHX. Last week, maybe 20% of people wore a mask in the Costco off of Haden in Scottsdale.

Old 11-25-2021, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
People are finally starting to realize that nothing really works. Almost two years into this and cases are higher in some places now than they were at the same time last year. And that's with all the vaccinations.

My guess (and this is just a guess) is that people who have had the vaccine are spreading this a lot more than they think. Since the vax supposedly reduces symptoms greatly (but doesn't prevent you from getting it), I believe many vaxxed people are out and about not even knowing they are positive for COVID.

When my family got it, we knew we had it and quarantined for 10 days. Even though it was a giant nothing burger for us - felt like a bad hangover for two days.
Our son is seeing 50x more viruses in the ER as compared to last year. The answer is simpler than yours ^ : There is less social distancing and masking == more chances of spreading all viruses. So there are many more people getting the rhinovirus (common cold) and the flu and thinking it might be COVID. So all virus transmission is way up. So while COVID transmission is rising again, it's not as bad as last year.

As to the ramp-up in more COVID-19 cases.

1. It's been learned that the J&J shot wanes pretty fast at around 4 months. Experts realize there should have been 2 shots. 15 million Americans with the J&J vaccines are not well protected just after a few months.
2. Break-through cases are when the vaccine wanes. There are studies that show exactly how fast each of the vaccines wanes by looking at the neutralizing antibodies. As months march on, the cellular immune responses (B Cell and T Cell) also wanes. When that happens, you will see break-trough cases end up in the hospital. Isreal is 1.5 months ahead of us and they saw hospitalization breakthrough cases. In a UK study, the average age of breakthrough cases in ICU was 80.5 years old. Hence, the need for a "booster".
3. Both of these factors ^^ while true, don't discuss the impact of the highly contagious Delta variant. So one year ago was a completely different variant than today. And the vaccines were not designed to combat the exact Delta design differences. Yet they still work. But it could be better or higher efficacy.
4. We are testing more than ever. So cases per 100,000 are also related to testing. A better benchmark is looking at hospitalizations or deaths. Better than hospitalizations, we should look at ICU bed demand. See https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vid-cases.html and look at those graphs. (paid site) or Johns Hopkins site.

Because your family all got COVID-19, you are arguably in better shape than any vaccinated person. And because your family is young, statistically, you will be in good shape (a.k.a. a nothing burger). But not everyone who is young and healthy gets so lucky.

Old 11-25-2021, 06:49 AM

Quote:
My guess (and this is just a guess) is that people who have had the vaccine are spreading this a lot more than they think. Since the vax supposedly reduces symptoms greatly (but doesn't prevent you from getting it), I believe many vaxxed people are out and about not even knowing they are positive for COVID.
If you want to see wild conspiracy-like theories, head on over to the politics section of this forum. There are some very smart people that do a wonderful job reading into things like no other. They stitch together a bunch of plausible theories and conclude bat-****-crazy theories! It's always "Big Pharma", governments controlling people, non-sense cheap drugs of the day-saving them from COVID (and "Big Pharm" controlling it), DNA modifications (all of the vaccinated are all going to die by 2025), the vaccinated shedding off more live viruses etc etc etc. If you can think of it, someone will believe it. Including that evil Bill Gates is pushing the vaccine because he is profiting from it.

I never understood why @Detroit kept on harping about "conspiracy theories" in every C-D thread. But I officially get it. I'm not saying you ^^. The process of paring down information in order to find the truth easier is known as "Occam's razor" (the simplest answer is normally correct).

Old 11-26-2021, 06:37 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
^this. The only reason someone would be still unvaccinated is they buy into the conspiracy trash or they have an infantile fear of needles. It certainly makes you question their other hygiene practices.

Old 11-29-2021, 07:54 AM

1,696 posts, read 1,293,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
If you want to see wild conspiracy-like theories, head on over to the politics section of this forum. There are some very smart people that do a wonderful job reading into things like no other. They stitch together a bunch of plausible theories and conclude bat-****-crazy theories! It's always "Big Pharma", governments controlling people, non-sense cheap drugs of the day-saving them from COVID (and "Big Pharm" controlling it), DNA modifications (all of the vaccinated are all going to die by 2025), the vaccinated shedding off more live viruses etc etc etc. If you can think of it, someone will believe it. Including that evil Bill Gates is pushing the vaccine because he is profiting from it.

I never understood why @Detroit kept on harping about "conspiracy theories" in every C-D thread. But I officially get it. I'm not saying you ^^. The process of paring down information in order to find the truth easier is known as "Occam's razor" (the simplest answer is normally correct).
You do realize that a lot of the "conspiracy theories" from 2020 are now our reality, right?

Old 11-29-2021, 08:28 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,689,830 times
Quote:
You do realize that a lot of the "conspiracy theories" from 2020 are now our reality, right?
LOL, no they’re not. The election was never overturned nor stolen, the world didn’t end, we weren’t shot up with tracking devices, COVID isn’t fake, the world is still round, and masks work. What paranoid nonsense panned out?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area