Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2021, 06:05 AM

224 posts, read 164,336 times

Advertisements

I’m not here to start a discussion on if we should or shouldn’t I’m just asking as an outsider does most of Phoenix and Phoenix suburbs not wear masks and employers don’t ask to get covid vaccine or is it pretty split? Is it more of the big companies that are making employers get it and wear masks? How are the school districts with mask wearing specifically, most do or don’t or is it split?

Old 09-21-2021, 06:32 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
I saw a line in a story on 12News yesterday that said "most employers in the state" now require vaccination. IDK where that comes from but the biggest ones which are healthcare Banner and WalMart do. The same story said that 15 concert venues will start requiring vaccination for attendees. The gov has banned governments from requiring it but that is "see you in court" status for now.

Schools are all over the place with policies. They can't require them after Sep 29, supposedly.

In general the Arizona experience with covid has been the second worst in the country with respect to infections and we saw a high death rate. The upside to that, if any, is that there are a heck of a lot of people here who got covid naturally. The vax rate is at least middle of the road as well and our summer shut in outbreak we saw last year just did not take off this year.

Unvaxxed snowbirds from Idaho and such will bring back covid this fall and winter so we can expect the hospitals to be burdened for some time and the virus to continue to circulate or even surge again leading to continued calls for masks.

Old 09-21-2021, 08:54 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Pretty much what Ponderosa said...with some other info:

Govt entities cannot, by law, mandate masks be worn. The state cannot, by law, enforce a vaccine "passport". Nothing is stopping private entities (businesses) from doing so but just observationally...most businesses are having their employees mask but not requiring it of patrons. (I know...but none of the "guidance" so far has made much sense). Mask wearing in businesses that I frequent seems to be about 25% masked to 75% unmasked.

School districts are another thing. Some are trying to enforce mask mandates and others...it is a constant discussion. As far as CUSD (the only one I really pay attention to since my kids are there) we still have a "masks recommended" policy. You can wear them if you want...no one is stopping you, but they don't have to. As far as vaccines, they have free testing and vaccines available but I read something interesting in the CUSD Policies:

"Any student with serologic confirmation of the presence of specific antibodies against a vaccine-preventable disease shall not be subject to immunization against that disease as a condition for attending school."

Which makes it sound like CUSD will accept "natural Immunity" as a replacement for a vaccine.

Anyway...not saying good bad or indifferent, just some observed behaviors out there. We are watching the CUSD C19 Dashboard and even with Homecomings, dances, other sports gatherings and not wearing masks, our infection rate is staying pretty low.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:01 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,276,167 times
I popped into my local grocery store in suburban Chandler a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised that probably 70% of the shoppers were wearing masks. Same thing when I went to Lowes, maybe a little less than 70. Kids in middle school and high school largely don't seem to wear them here if they aren't mandated. I don't know anything about local vaccine rates at workplaces.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:29 AM

4,069 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I popped into my local grocery store in suburban Chandler a couple weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised that probably 70% of the shoppers were wearing masks. Same thing when I went to Lowes, maybe a little less than 70. Kids in middle school and high school largely don't seem to wear them here if they aren't mandated. I don't know anything about local vaccine rates at workplaces.
We live in the same area...I guess it depends on when you go to the market. I have noticed an uptick in mask wearing if you go between 4 and 5PM or maybe just perception. I am not really looking for folks with masks on...to each their own...I'll take a close look next time. It does seem there are more masks in Fry's than Albertson's though, again, it depends on the time of day. At least Albertson's is still cleaning their carts

Old 09-21-2021, 10:14 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMountains93 View Post
I’m not here to start a discussion on if we should or shouldn’t
Well, you changed your mind. lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheMountains93 View Post
Can’t even have a legitimate talk about vaccines pcr testing NATURAL IMMUNITY and masks I’m in a completely brainwashed area you can show them cdc facts that will show the hypocrisy of everything going on and don’t care at all it’s whatever the news tells them.
Normally, a scientific procedure takes hold and technical debates happen behind closed doors. Presenters are questioned, told to go back and do more studies, and it's repeated. This takes years. The press isn't invited in to report and armchair doctors or other "experts" don't comment on a topic they are not really an expert on. So not-so-technical brains don't get caught up in their personal beliefs. The confusing data is scrubbed and debated privately. And later, they release what they conclude. This one is a new ballgame and shows what can happen when you let people decide themselves.

So yea, the data and advice change by the week. And depending on what non-peer-reviewed study took place, they redirect the policy. Add in a dose of politics and we are where we are.

This is why the CDC, the WHO, and the FDA show out in the open disagreements. Normally, this is all vetted when the data comes in. So if you think you have it figured out, no one does because the data is suspect. That doesn't mean your principal isn't inconsistent. He/she is. But this has been a cluster you-know-what. Trying to read between the lines takes a lot of time. Most people struggle with these topics and pick out the data they want to believe. As I said, we are where we are.... Your words above suggest you to are cherry-picking your data. All the while recognizing your principal is inconsistent.

Old 09-21-2021, 10:16 AM

6,405 posts, read 8,984,794 times
Depends on where you go. Masks are required at the Phoenix libraries. ADOT is optional but all of the workers are masked. The latter was amusing. I went to get a Real ID compliant license. Arrived early and to the surprise of no one waiting they did not open on time. Watched them conduct their morning meeting, all unmasked, and when they break to open the doors all the masks pop out.

One grocery store has a sign requiring everyone to be masked but they were not enforcing nor handling out disposable masks. Public transit is a mixed bag. They require masking but I have not seen it actually enforced. Burton Barr branch of the library did have someone posted at the entry handing out masks when I went last weekend.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:00 AM

2,786 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Schools -- The official word from the governor and legislature is that districts cannot require masks. The reality is that some are doing so anyway while they pursue various legal challenges to recent changes in state law. In general, districts in "bluer" areas of central Phoenix and inner ring suburbs are more likely to be mandating masks in a challenge to state law than outer suburbs with more conservative residents.

Public Transit -- Required by federal mandate. Enforcement depends on who's driving (for busses) and whether security is on board (for light rail).

Libraries and government buildings -- As with schools, it can break down along partisan lines. In Phoenix and some of its more central suburbs, they're required. In outlying areas, that's less common.

Retail -- Seems pretty much 50/50. Some wear, some don't, and no one gives anyone a hard time about it.

Outdoors -- I rarely see masks anymore at the farmers market, at parks, or on hiking trails.

Restaurants and bars -- A few restaurants still have masked staff, but many don't. Also, fewer customers are bothering with the theater of wearing them during the short walk to and from their tables only to remove them to eat and drink.

Last edited by exit2lef; 09-21-2021 at 11:24 AM..

Old 09-21-2021, 11:53 AM

13,709 posts, read 7,987,762 times
With regards to Mesa and Gilbert: I'm in and out of various Home Depot 3-4 times a week. I also visit my local Fry's food store just as often.

I'd say maybe 20-25% of the customers wear a mask. Do I? No. I got the 2 shots earlier this year and I'm good with that.

I know three people who caught Covid and after a few days in bed they were fine.

Overall I'm in good health so I'm not too concerned.

Old 09-21-2021, 12:11 PM

18 posts, read 21,338 times
Interesting discussion, heading down to Phoenix for the first time this week, in Seattle suburbs almost 100% people wearing masks, also in the Greater Seattle area, many restaurants requiring proof of vaccine for a couple of months now, all will be required to by October. Will be interesting to see the difference this week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area