Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2021, 06:39 PM

2,391 posts, read 2,736,486 times

Advertisements

So...millions of dollars designated for covid relief are instead being channeled toward a high-tech surveillance center for Mesa police. It's certainly not as if we've got the covid issue solved and don't need any money to help.

In Mesa, Millions of Covid Relief Funds Will Go To High-Tech Police Surveillance

“Police departments have seen [the grant money] as a way to pay for all of the fancy technology and equipment they’ve always wanted, but never had a reason or the funding to get,” said Matthew Guariglia, a policy analyst at the Electronic Frontier Foundation, an organization that monitors law enforcement surveillance. “All of a sudden, you have cops saying, ‘You know what we need to fight Covid? We need drones.’”

https://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news...lance-12004279
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 06:43 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,675,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
So...millions of dollars designated for covid relief are instead being channeled toward a high-tech surveillance center for Mesa police. It's certainly not as if we've got the covid issue solved and don't need any money to help.
COVID has been a terrific opportunity for government to grab power and money while a bunch of weak-minded sheep wail, "WE'RE SCARED! KEEP US SAFE!"

And it'll never go away. A year from now, we'll still be hearing about the eight "booster" and more mandates and requirements... and more money being distributed among government.

Just watch. "Health and safety", my puckered rear.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:54 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,686,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
COVID has been a terrific opportunity for government to grab power and money while a bunch of weak-minded sheep wail, "WE'RE SCARED! KEEP US SAFE!"

And it'll never go away. A year from now, we'll still be hearing about the eight "booster" and more mandates and requirements... and more money being distributed among government.

So, a conspiracy theory, huh? How original.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:32 PM

2,391 posts, read 2,736,486 times
Quote:

I don't think I'd bet on that. And if more people were vaccinated, we wouldn't need the boosters.

Old 09-28-2021, 06:15 AM

9,825 posts, read 11,231,074 times
Quote:

We wholeheartedly agree on your final three words. I mean, before posting, do you soak your rear-end in a potpourri of pickle juice, tart cherries, rhubarb, and a splash of grapefruit juice? I understand it's crystal clear to you. Just as it is for other angry "patriots".

In fairness, recently, I've been grazing on grass and clover. Because I'm a scared little sheep, taking a knee and bowing down into submission. I'M SO SCARED and need you in my corner to fight against all those controlling doctors and "BIG PHARMA" who PROFIT from these mandates. But with your help and angry puckered rear-end posts, I'll get the courage to stand up again and peek out the window from time to time.

Back to the post. This isn't about the "government grabbing power and money". Rather, Mesa and other departments around the country giving police bonuses, buying ATV's, and in Mesa's case, directing the $$'s (which were wasted to be given away in the 1st place), to anything thing they want to. I want that money b-a-a-ack because our kids and grandkids will have even more debt on their shoulders!

Old 09-28-2021, 07:23 AM

16 posts, read 10,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
I don't think I'd bet on that. And if more people were vaccinated, we wouldn't need the boosters.
Honest question: could you explain the logic you used to reach this conclusion?

Old 09-28-2021, 09:03 AM

13,963 posts, read 8,131,699 times
How Mesa PD Uses Drone Technology

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElKzF4OIFP0

Old 09-29-2021, 02:25 PM

16 posts, read 10,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2410238 View Post
Honest question: could you explain the logic you used to reach this conclusion?
I didn't think I was going to get a response lol

Old 09-30-2021, 12:50 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,310,930 times
To play devil's advocate here (not giving an opinion, would have to do a lot research to verify and get a lot of details before that) this might just be a city taking advantage of funds to get upgrades they might've wanted for a while and couldn't afford. A lot of modern tech (like drones for example, though I'm sure it goes beyond just that) can increase efficiency for undermanned and the difficult jobs of the police force. Often such places are relatively underfunded to take advantage of the latest tech that can legitimately help them do their jobs better. Additionally such things might not only help them do their jobs better, especially considering the growth of the area and the challenges of policing with only so many numbers, but things like drones could possibly increase visibility and transparency and accountability into the police themselves.

I wouldn't assume new tech creates some sort of Orwellian society. There are plenty of scenarios would could consider where this could really offer a needed improvement on many aspects.

Let's also consider drones aren't some magical conspiracy bullet lol. They are massively useful tools for a lot of practices and might actually save money in lowering the need for things like helicopter use which certainly has to be more expensive in the long term.

Old 10-06-2021, 08:36 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,779,304 times
I mean I can see how this happened. COVID increased joblessness which increased crime which means new police technology is needed. Right? K great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: