Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 06:21 AM

342 posts, read 319,131 times

Advertisements

Every city and its suburbs has it. The "best" area. And the "worst" area. What are they for Phoenix and the surrounding areas? I'm not defining what makes it the best or worst. That's completely opinion based. Usually it's wealth and home prices and lack of crime. But other factors come into play. But I'm curious what the general opinion is. When I last lived in Phoenix in 1996, it was Paradise Valley as "the best" and anything on the west side of Phoenix as "the worst" (no offense to anyone who lives there - I knew nothing about it and I was just a silly young woman who knew very little at the time.) And Apache Junction and Cave Creek were out in the boonies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2021, 07:29 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,471,533 times
Phoenix is not like metropolitan areas in other parts of the country where the worst spot in town is in the bull's eye center of town and it gets progressively better as you drive away from the city center. Spots in Phoenix where you have million dollar homes and drug dens within a few blocks of each other. Even a suburb like Scottsdale or Glendale because they are so large can have great disparities from one end of their city limits to the other.

Plus the Phoenix metro area is nothing like it was when I first moved there in 1998 and I had been up there once a month to visit in-laws since the early 90's. Since 1996 Phoenix is almost completely different. In 1998 had you told me that I'd be living in the Coronado neighborhood 25 years later, I'd have thought you were nuts. Back then it was a seedy neighborhood with a gang problem. Now it is one of the most sought after historic neighborhoods in town. Roosevelt in 1996 was pretty much known for being the place to pick up transgendered hookers, now it is another hot neighborhood full of young college kids.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:05 PM

1,471 posts, read 1,416,227 times
At what budget? The sky really is the limit.

Old 09-27-2021, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Roosevelt in 1996 was pretty much known for being the place to pick up transgendered hookers, now it is another hot neighborhood full of young college kids.
Is that where Danny Bonaduce punched out the hooker back in the 90s?

Old 09-27-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
At what budget? The sky really is the limit.
Our max is $1.2 million.

Old 09-28-2021, 02:02 AM

1,471 posts, read 1,416,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
Our max is $1.2 million.
Historic or not?

Old 09-28-2021, 05:47 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,471,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scully2010 View Post
Is that where Danny Bonaduce punched out the hooker back in the 90s?
Yes it is. Chatted with a Phoenix PD officer just about 6-7 years ago and it was still possible to entertain yourself that way a few short years ago.

Lived up the street in Coronado until we moved to Tucson recently. Almost every block was full of houses in various states of being upgraded and ready to sell for prices approaching a half million bucks. Then there would be the one house on that block owned by an original owner who had been there for decades that was ticked off about getting reported for parking 4-5 cars in their front yard and letting their dogs run loose all day. Made for some interesting discussions on our neighborhood message board.

Old 09-28-2021, 09:18 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,636,523 times
Paradise Valley, Arcadia, north and central Scottsdale, Willo, Encanto, Palmcroft, Biltmore. Those are your nicer/affluent central(ish) areas.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAXhound View Post
Historic or not?
Depends on the house.

Old 09-28-2021, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmi66 View Post
Yes it is. Chatted with a Phoenix PD officer just about 6-7 years ago and it was still possible to entertain yourself that way a few short years ago.

Lived up the street in Coronado until we moved to Tucson recently. Almost every block was full of houses in various states of being upgraded and ready to sell for prices approaching a half million bucks. Then there would be the one house on that block owned by an original owner who had been there for decades that was ticked off about getting reported for parking 4-5 cars in their front yard and letting their dogs run loose all day. Made for some interesting discussions on our neighborhood message board.
yup. I always feel bad for that neighbor. They didn't ask for the neighborhood to be gentrified.

poor Danny B. I think he's settled down and he's sober now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area