Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2021, 07:43 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,759,929 times

Advertisements

Granted, I cannot say much on the affordability scale in comparison with other cities similar to Phoenix, as I have lived the majority of my life here. But, as someone who has been living here for nearly 30 years, I can weigh in on how this city is starting to become unaffordable, and yet, we are lauded as a destination that offers inexpensive housing and cost of living.

It is actually a bit worrisome. One can actually have a very good income and yet struggle to find affordable housing. Ten years ago if you made $50K annually, you could go a long way. Buy a house, have a nice car and still have enough money left over for the finer things in life. But in today's Phoenix, $50K guarantees NOTHING. Forget about buying that house, you will be lucky to locate an apartment with 2 bedrooms in a half decent area for under $1500 a month.

It is quite depressing really. Just for the heck of it, I decided to look up some old apartments I lived at ten years ago.

The Renaissance Apartments on 43rd ave and Thunderbird
-I lived on the third floor. One bedroom, and paid around $700-$750/month.
Today that very same floor plan is going for nearly double the price! I was shocked to see it going for
nearly $1400!

Newport Landing, which is now Paseo Park on 52nd ave and Thunderbird
-I lived on the second floor. One bedroom. Around 11 years ago I was paying $600/month.
Today they are going for around $1000. Same floor plan.

All I know, is that I wish I had jumped at the opportunity to buy a house before they started inflating housing costs nearly double what they were two years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 08:06 AM

3,689 posts, read 2,411,133 times
Phoenix is done.....$adly.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:10 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,733,572 times
We already have multiple threads on COL related housing changes in Phoenix, do we need another one?

Old 05-19-2021, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
We already have multiple threads on COL related housing changes in Phoenix, do we need another one?
Most posts I am seeing are related to the real estate market, specifically. My post is a general consensus of CoL for Phoenix, real estate, renting, food, entertainment and anything and everything CoL related and how yesterdays salary gets you nowhere in today's economy for Phoenix. If you feel bothered by my post, do not feel as though you are compelled to contribute to the discussion.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:40 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,271,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Granted, I cannot say much on the affordability scale in comparison with other cities similar to Phoenix, as I have lived the majority of my life here. But, as someone who has been living here for nearly 30 years, I can weigh in on how this city is starting to become unaffordable, and yet, we are lauded as a destination that offers inexpensive housing and cost of living.

It is actually a bit worrisome. One can actually have a very good income and yet struggle to find affordable housing. Ten years ago if you made $50K annually, you could go a long way. Buy a house, have a nice car and still have enough money left over for the finer things in life. But in today's Phoenix, $50K guarantees NOTHING. Forget about buying that house, you will be lucky to locate an apartment with 2 bedrooms in a half decent area for under $1500 a month.

It is quite depressing really. Just for the heck of it, I decided to look up some old apartments I lived at ten years ago.

The Renaissance Apartments on 43rd ave and Thunderbird
-I lived on the third floor. One bedroom, and paid around $700-$750/month.
Today that very same floor plan is going for nearly double the price! I was shocked to see it going for
nearly $1400!

Newport Landing, which is now Paseo Park on 52nd ave and Thunderbird
-I lived on the second floor. One bedroom. Around 11 years ago I was paying $600/month.
Today they are going for around $1000. Same floor plan.

All I know, is that I wish I had jumped at the opportunity to buy a house before they started inflating housing costs nearly double what they were two years ago.
Who is they? Last I checked, the market dictates what a house costs - you know, what someone is willing to pay.

Old 05-19-2021, 08:43 AM

3,662 posts, read 2,943,593 times
El paso is still affordable. PHX is a playground for snowbirds.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sno0909 View Post
Who is they? Last I checked, the market dictates what a house costs - you know, what someone is willing to pay.
It is artificially being inflated by the lack of available housing. Plus, most of these properties are being scooped up by investors from other states.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:21 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
It is artificially being inflated by the lack of available housing. Plus, most of these properties are being scooped up by investors from other states.
There's nothing artificial about supply and demand. Econ 101.

As for Phoenix being "lauded as a destination that offers inexpensive housing and cost of living", have you been napping for the past five years? That hasn't been a current theme for a while.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:24 AM

364 posts, read 617,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
There's nothing artificial about supply and demand. Econ 101.

As for Phoenix being "lauded as a destination that offers inexpensive housing and cost of living", have you been napping for the past five years? That hasn't been a current theme for a while.
Except, compared to MANY parts of the US, Phoenix IS still a bargain even with the recent price increases. Phoenix still has a long ways to go to catch up to So Cal, Seattle, Portland, Chicago NY etc etc etc.

Phoenix is awake now and if you think prices are high now, wait a few years.

Old 05-19-2021, 09:27 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
Except, compared to MANY parts of the US, Phoenix IS still a bargain even with the recent price increases. Phoenix still has a long ways to go to catch up to So Cal, Seattle, Portland, Chicago NY etc etc etc.

Phoenix is awake now and if you think prices are high now, wait a few years.
Correct. Not mad about it either. Attracting bottom feeders that want nothing other than cheap wasn't serving us well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area