U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2007, 12:25 PM

25 posts, read 104,236 times

Advertisements

My wife has an opportunity to work in her Phoenix based office, which is located by the Camelback mountains, probably Camelback Mountain Road. If we were to start looking for housing, what areas, cities would be ideal to live. We currently live in the CA Bay Area and have 9 and 4 year old daughters, and are not afraid to commute a little, but not much if we don't have to. Also, I am a Middle School Teacher, and was wondering what the job situation might look like for me? Is AZ in need a teachers like CA always is? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 05:02 PM

8 posts, read 25,256 times
Depending on what you want to spend, you'd be better off living in the Central to North Scottsdale area. The houses, neighborhoods, and schools are much nicer than the surrounding areas, but it's pricey. You probably want to try to live North and East of Camelback. It is also easier to commute from the East-side in.

I have friends that are teachers and they say that it can be difficult to get a job here. If you have already completed your masters, Mesa Public Schools is always looking for adjuct faculty and the pay starts at around $20 an hour depending on previous experience.

Also beware of the heat. People are not joking when they say it's hot here. You will probably not want to leave the house from about May till after Halloween. It will feel like the blistering hot summer until Halloween, then it will magically mellow.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:26 PM

Would Chandler be a tough commute? Also, how about Peoria? What is it like up there and how is the commute?

Old 01-02-2007, 10:20 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,759,606 times
Chandler WOULD be a pretty rough commute, its always rough commuting inbound. The same with Peoria - Though, it depends on exactly where you'll be.

Camelback Road near the mountain is a rather affluent area itself - Though, only a very small portion of it. There are several historic neighborhoods close by; IF you can afford them.

Camelback Road crosses the entire metro from east to west. So if you basically just want a straight shot commute, look anywhere in the valley thats close to Camelback Road. Though - the nicest (and newest) areas in the WEST valley around camelback are after you get past the 101.

Old 01-02-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Cody?

Thanks for your input Cody. Is there anyway you can give me cities, so I can get an idea on the mls at what I am looking at demographically? It has been a while since I have been to AZ, matter of fact 8 years, but my wife is heading there tomorrow for work and she would love to drive around and look at recommended areas.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:56 AM

31,304 posts, read 30,959,740 times
Sounds like 44th Street and Camelback Rd. area. This is a very nice area to work and live in. There are several schools that are also located within the area as well. You should do well in finding a home nearby. For the most part this is an older established area with great homes that hold their value. You’ll love not having long hours of commuting to work.

The only problem that I remember is with the “roof rats” that seem to have been in the area of homes built in the citrus orchards. I’ve not heard of any trouble with this in the past year so I believe they have it under control. The “roof rats” seem to enjoy eating the citrus that is found on the ground under the trees. Most of the homes built in citrus orchards have controlled the problem by picking the fruit and removing the food source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>