Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 06:20 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
Back to the thread. IMO, PHX has turned the corner with its former reputation as a low-tech and "affordable" place to live. It should be obvious that technology needs to be the key driver of our economy. It should also be mentioned that part of the shift is related to the better perception of K-12 funding. School referendums are passing especially on the East Valley. Frankly, that is where nearly all the tech jobs are located. And if you want to attract educated talent, you need to have pay attention to the perception of K-12. Currently, I believe that the East Valley K-12 perception is acceptable to continue attracting more tech firms.

IMO, the tech councils and commissions who are trying to attract these jobs are outperforming other areas of the country. As @Valley mentioned, look to Austin, TX as an example of who to mimic.

All I know is it's really changed over the past 10 years. We went from a down-and-out economy designed for retirement, vacations, and home building and pivoted in attracting better caliber jobs (which is also helped the housing market to $kyrocket). Spots like WA, OR, and CA suffocated businesses. So PHX and TX who are more moderate are benefitting. Don't forget to send out a Thank You note and Christmas card to the politicians of those progressive cities.
New tech will be gravitating to the north end of the 303 corridor and west where the Taiwan chip plant is being built and Bill Gates and the billionaires are planning their cities of the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 07:36 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,145,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinezac View Post
Yeah most tech jobs are manufacturing here not developers. Also saw that Mesa data center for Facebook will have like 100 employees despite being 960,000 square feet along Ellseworth lol
They say that...but they are adding in landscapers, electricians, etc. Piece work, not actual company employees. The new DC going in next to Cyrus One in Chandler says on their infographic that they will provide 576 new jobs. When asked how many employees they will have on prem the answer was 30. On average, a Data Center employs 20-35 full time folks that are ACTUALLY employed by that Data Center.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
They say that...but they are adding in landscapers, electricians, etc. Piece work, not actual company employees. The new DC going in next to Cyrus One in Chandler says on their infographic that they will provide 576 new jobs. When asked how many employees they will have on prem the answer was 30. On average, a Data Center employs 20-35 full time folks that are ACTUALLY employed by that Data Center.
Neighbors are complaining about Cyrus in Chandler and Chandler is looking to ban any more data centers. It seemed like a good idea when the area was desperate for jobs, but now they are looked on about as favorably as a meat rendering plant.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/featur...lock_id=997196

Old 11-16-2021, 08:19 AM

On the brighter side, Lucid started rolling their EV off the assembly lines in Casa Grande and has big plans. The vehicle actually won Motor Trend's Car of the Year honors! Made in Arizona. Their HQ and all the management jobs are in California though.

Old 11-16-2021, 08:39 AM

13,723 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Neighbors are complaining about Cyrus in Chandler and Chandler is looking to ban any more data centers. It seemed like a good idea when the area was desperate for jobs, but now they are looked on about as favorably as a meat rendering plant.

https://www.azfamily.com/news/featur...lock_id=997196

I own property in Clemente Ranch. A small house which Zillow lists in the 450k range and lists rent at over $2k a month. Current renter works from home.

Rented it at the start of 2021 and today rents have increased by $300 (according to Zillow.)

Can't speak to the tech industry but judging by those who contact me looking to rent.... many people earn a good income.

For Chandler and Gilbert rentals 90k a year is minimum income requirement.

Last edited by john3232; 11-16-2021 at 08:49 AM..

Old 11-16-2021, 08:56 AM

776 posts, read 1,063,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
People are moving here in droves. If I post a rental home on Zillow (East Valley) I can expect my phone to start ringing off the hook. Which is why I no longer provide a telephone#.

Potential applicants must contact me through Zillow messaging.

If this is true then why do some of the large rental companies like Invitation and Progress have e the same homes sit there for months at a time in Gilbert and Chandler and other desirable areas ?

Their application process is simple and the homes get removed from market as soon as a. Application is submitted, unlike Pathkight where they leave the homes on the market and show available even if they ha e an accepted lease.

We have watched the market tb e re for the last 3 years and I will admit it has been crazy and the resale market was phenomenal. Homes went under contract in hours, but if there is such a high demand then why do some houses in good areas just sit for so long ?

No one talks about the actual NET migration, how many people leave Phoenix. We have been hot and cold on the idea of moving there for our own reasons, it seems like a great place to live, but we have lived through booms before in cities like Charlotte, DFW, Denver and now Tampa... it sucks... too many people moving in too fast. Taxes and prices sky rocket, qualityof public services plunge, traffic patterns get all messed up, etc...

So is phoenix metro actually a great place to live right now?

Old 11-16-2021, 09:11 AM

13,723 posts, read 7,992,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
If this is true then why do some of the large rental companies like Invitation and Progress have e the same homes sit there for months at a time in Gilbert and Chandler and other desirable areas ?

Their application process is simple and the homes get removed from market as soon as a. Application is submitted, unlike Pathkight where they leave the homes on the market and show available even if they ha e an accepted lease.

We have watched the market tb e re for the last 3 years and I will admit it has been crazy and the resale market was phenomenal. Homes went under contract in hours, but if there is such a high demand then why do some houses in good areas just sit for so long ?

No one talks about the actual NET migration, how many people leave Phoenix. We have been hot and cold on the idea of moving there for our own reasons, it seems like a great place to live, but we have lived through booms before in cities like Charlotte, DFW, Denver and now Tampa... it sucks... too many people moving in too fast. Taxes and prices sky rocket, qualityof public services plunge, traffic patterns get all messed up, etc...

I have no idea but that's not been my experience.

I've rented four properties 10/2020 through 8/2021 with no trouble.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:25 AM

65 posts, read 46,975 times
Quote:

More people stay than leave. This article has data showing 2.2M moved here and 1.7 left between 2010-18. Phoenix is a very transient city. People leave because Phoenix was a career stepping stone and/or the heat. I also saw in the pandemic some wanted to be closer to their families.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...rom-other.html

Regarding your comments on houses, they sit on the market for two main reasons. They are not priced right and they are very outdated. Once a house is in the market for 2 weeks people think there is something wrong with it.

Old 11-16-2021, 09:51 AM

369 posts, read 269,233 times
Default Phoenix is a hot market.

Quote:

Phoenix isn't perfect but what place is? It's a nicer city to live with better quality of life than Chicago, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Detroit, or Baltimore.

Old 11-16-2021, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Phoenix did not just starting booming. It has been booming for 40 plus years that I have been here. Different parts boom - like Chandler Gilbert in the late 1990-2000s, far east and west now. One city or another around here have always been the among or the fastest growing in the country. The bolded have always been a part of living here. If you are trying to avoid that, then no, it is not a great place to live right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area