Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2021, 10:28 AM

4,073 posts, read 5,190,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
If this is true then why do some of the large rental companies like Invitation and Progress have e the same homes sit there for months at a time in Gilbert and Chandler and other desirable areas ?

Their application process is simple and the homes get removed from market as soon as a. Application is submitted, unlike Pathkight where they leave the homes on the market and show available even if they ha e an accepted lease.

We have watched the market tb e re for the last 3 years and I will admit it has been crazy and the resale market was phenomenal. Homes went under contract in hours, but if there is such a high demand then why do some houses in good areas just sit for so long ?

No one talks about the actual NET migration, how many people leave Phoenix. We have been hot and cold on the idea of moving there for our own reasons, it seems like a great place to live, but we have lived through booms before in cities like Charlotte, DFW, Denver and now Tampa... it sucks... too many people moving in too fast. Taxes and prices sky rocket, qualityof public services plunge, traffic patterns get all messed up, etc...

So is phoenix metro actually a great place to live right now?
My guess is that the prospective tenant needs to have a qualifying income to rent. Lots of rentals out there if you make over $100k and can afford it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2021, 12:08 PM

14,036 posts, read 8,188,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL78 View Post
More people stay than leave. This article has data showing 2.2M moved here and 1.7 left between 2010-18. Phoenix is a very transient city. People leave because Phoenix was a career stepping stone and/or the heat. I also saw in the pandemic some wanted to be closer to their families.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...rom-other.html

Regarding your comments on houses, they sit on the market for two main reasons. They are not priced right and they are very outdated. Once a house is in the market for 2 weeks people think there is something wrong with it.
Yeah, I don't know why a large PM company (or any size PM company) would let homes sit esp. in today's market. If a rental is priced right and ready-ready it should move fast depending on the requirements.

I don't want to chase tenants down for the rent so require a minimum monthly gross income equal to 3.5 times the rent. Credit score should be at least 640. Anything under and they've usually racked up a lot of debt or had problems paying their bills.

14 days is enough time to find a strong tenant.

Old 11-16-2021, 12:42 PM

776 posts, read 1,067,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Phoenix did not just starting booming. It has been booming for 40 plus years that I have been here. Different parts boom - like Chandler Gilbert in the late 1990-2000s, far east and west now. One city or another around here have always been the among or the fastest growing in the country. The bolded have always been a part of living here. If you are trying to avoid that, then no, it is not a great place to live right now.
Yeah this is a fair point. However, you ha e to admit that its a boom right now- this lastyeat has been like nothing most people have ever seen. But I get your point. I've been theresevwral times and do appreciate the space that the metro has to build but its as bad as dfw now. It takes an hour or more to get from one side to the other and people everywhere.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:47 PM

65 posts, read 47,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegirlinaz View Post
Phoenix isn't perfect but what place is? It's a nicer city to live with better quality of life than Chicago, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Detroit, or Baltimore.
Exactly. Any decent city is booming right now. Many of the cities booming are not left or right wing which helps reduce any chances of them becoming the cities you mentioned. IMO people are flocking to Phoenix due to jobs and the desire to have a life. Escaping the rat races of the cities they're at now. Plus it doesn't snow so that helps and we're within hours to other major cities. Our economy is improving and we're moving into higher paying jobs. 7-10 years ago that was a different story.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:59 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,782,411 times
There’s an old post that got heated up but Phoenix just doesn’t support the culture that tech companies usually require. Service centers? Perfect. Actual high paying tech jobs? Hmm.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:17 PM

39,147 posts, read 51,432,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtloucks View Post
Yeah this is a fair point. However, you ha e to admit that its a boom right now- this lastyeat has been like nothing most people have ever seen. But I get your point. I've been theresevwral times and do appreciate the space that the metro has to build but its as bad as dfw now. It takes an hour or more to get from one side to the other and people everywhere.
When I visit my daughter in Chandler it seems so "sleepy" in a way. They have pretty much finished with their rapid growth. Out my way it is nothing but endless construction, belly dumpers, backhoes beeping, detours, cracked windshields and lane closures. Traffic is worse by the day, it seems. We had a good run out this way, but inevitably, like everywhere else in Phoenix, the growth found and overran us. So sad. I'm too old now to leapfrog the 20 miles or so needed to avoid all this development.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:25 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,638,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeL78 View Post
Exactly. Any decent city is booming right now. Many of the cities booming are not left or right wing which helps reduce any chances of them becoming the cities you mentioned. IMO people are flocking to Phoenix due to jobs and the desire to have a life. Escaping the rat races of the cities they're at now. Plus it doesn't snow so that helps and we're within hours to other major cities. Our economy is improving and we're moving into higher paying jobs. 7-10 years ago that was a different story.
Phoenix has become a rat race. For renters or people who are hoping to become first-time home buyers, Phoenix is becoming what Austin and Denver became over the past ten to twenty years in terms of cost of living challenges. Unfortunately, Phoenix does not have the characteristics of Austin and Denver that have made them attractive places for a glut of high paying tech jobs. Many “tech” jobs here are still low paying, back office positions. Therefore you have a rift between the haves and have nots, which has become extremely apparent in Phoenix over the past two years. When there’s a growing underclass or have nots, you run into the societal issues that have been very visible in more established cities.

Phoenix is going to need more than the old you can’t shovel sunshine mantra if it wants to stay competitive. People moving here en masse means little if the quality of life here suffers for many.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:27 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,996,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
When I visit my daughter in Chandler it seems so "sleepy" in a way. They have pretty much finished with their rapid growth. Out my way it is nothing but endless construction, belly dumpers, backhoes beeping, detours, cracked windshields and lane closures. Traffic is worse by the day, it seems. We had a good run out this way, but inevitably, like everywhere else in Phoenix, the growth found and overran us. So sad. I'm too old now to leapfrog the 20 miles or so needed to avoid all this development.
That Intel plant will anchor a ton of high end jobs and will drag in others since that’s where the talent lives.

Old 11-16-2021, 04:12 PM

65 posts, read 47,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
Phoenix has become a rat race. For renters or people who are hoping to become first-time home buyers, Phoenix is becoming what Austin and Denver became over the past ten to twenty years in terms of cost of living challenges. Unfortunately, Phoenix does not have the characteristics of Austin and Denver that have made them attractive places for a glut of high paying tech jobs. Many “tech” jobs here are still low paying, back office positions. Therefore you have a rift between the haves and have nots, which has become extremely apparent in Phoenix over the past two years. When there’s a growing underclass or have nots, you run into the societal issues that have been very visible in more established cities.

Phoenix is going to need more than the old you can’t shovel sunshine mantra if it wants to stay competitive. People moving here en masse means little if the quality of life here suffers for many.
Austin and Denver both are the reasons Phoenix lacks in tech jobs. They won that battle with more established companies. The people flocking to Phoenix are coming from NY, Chicago and the west coast. They’re getting jobs here from whatever fields they’re in or working from home. Plus the cost of living is lower for them. If I didn’t like living here then I’d move in a heartbeat since other cities have better tech jobs.

Old 11-16-2021, 04:59 PM

14,036 posts, read 8,188,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post

As someone who owned rental property in SF from 1996 until 2019 the city is filled with renters stuck in an endless cycle of revolving roommates. In 2019 I spoke with a gent working at Home Depot in Daly City who was ecstatic. He'd recently found an in-law apartment in the Outer Sunset/SF near the beach for $1300 a month. He and his wife/baby daughter would finally have a place of their own. A handyman I used while staying in SF rents a room from his sister in the Mission for $900 a month. Then there are those with money. Serious money. Like the couple who bought my house. Came by and decided to take it. Returned the next morning and slapped down a 950k deposit.

Today the Phx metro is beginning to look the same but on a much smaller level.

In 2015 you could rent a 3bed/2bath in a nice part of East Mesa for $1100. In 2021 - $1800 and up.

2015 in Gilbert/Chandler? $1450 for a large 4 bed/2.5 bath in Chandler. In 2021 - $2500 and up.

It's not uncommon for a married couple along with a family member to inquire about renting my property. Three incomes are often needed to qualify since rents have risen above the 2k mark

There's a lot of animosity and anger from locals. You read comments like, "Who the hell wants to pay X to rent or buy here? San Diego sure but Phx?" Then prattle off a list of complaints.

What they might not realize is $400k gets you a small 3bed/1.5 bath home in a sketchy San Diego neighborhood. 150k doesn't get you to first base in the more popular areas of Cal.

But a couple earning 90k-130k can still make it in some of the nicer areas here.

Last edited by john3232; 11-16-2021 at 06:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area