Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 09:15 PM

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williamhbonney View Post
What I need to know is if I can still take the class after getting served.

Further confusing is the ticket says if it's not satisfied by the court date in 3 weeks, the court may enter a default judgment which could suspend vehicle registration and send it to a collection agency with additional fees.

All before even being served. Now it says may, not will, so maybe it's a scare tactic. All very confusing.
It's absolutely a scare tactic. It's written with really scary words on the back.

I've received several of these. I just put them on my desk, and wait. No one has ever knocked on my door or served me a certified letter. Then I just throw them away. Never a problem renewing my registration or my license.

If DPS can't prove you received the summons, then they can't go forward with any penalty.

Whatever you do, don't be a dummy a go down to the courthouse and incriminate yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2022, 09:15 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Wait it out. If they don't serve you in person or via certified mail, they can't prove you ever received it.

If neither of those things happen, you can ignore it.
Not true in Scottsdale. "Alternative service" is valid there.

To the OP-Take the school. You can do it even if you are served.

Old 01-15-2022, 05:38 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,152,452 times
Quote:
I'm eligible for traffic school.
I'm curious... If you take the traffic school option, what's the benefit?

When my daughter was in town for grad school, she drove my registered car. I got a Scottsdale ticket in the mail. Since it wasn't me driving I was off the hook. So I copied a picture of me on the license proving it wasn't me. On the form (from memory), they asked who was the driver. My memory got really fuzzy when I filled out the form and didn't put her name down.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:37 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
I'm curious... If you take the traffic school option, what's the benefit?

When my daughter was in town for grad school, she drove my registered car. I got a Scottsdale ticket in the mail. Since it wasn't me driving I was off the hook. So I copied a picture of me on the license proving it wasn't me. On the form (from memory), they asked who was the driver. My memory got really fuzzy when I filled out the form and didn't put her name down.
The citation is dismissed. No points/no report for your insurance co/no rate hit.

Old 01-15-2022, 07:43 AM

784 posts, read 922,700 times
Quote:
So you have no relevant input towards the basis of this thread. Got it.
Right....at least my comment was about speeding and speed cameras in the Phoenix area....what was yours about.

I can't wait till you coment on my speeling; and grammar's....lol

Fact is people drive too damn fast in Phoenix......and not all that good either mind you.

Old 01-15-2022, 09:25 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Wait it out. If they don't serve you in person or via certified mail, they can't prove you ever received it.

If neither of those things happen, you can ignore it.
Or how about just obeying the law?

Old 01-15-2022, 09:32 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
I can't believe there hasn't been an organized voter initiative to get rid of these things. The red light camera intersections are scary. All kinds of erratic driving, people either flooring it or slamming on their brakes the second it turns yellow.

And waiting almost 2 months to send it out shows a real concern for safety.
We can go back 10 or 15 years to numerous other threads about speed cameras, and it's all the same rhetoric. These cameras are not for safety ... they're all about generating revenue for local governments. If they were in place for safety, then they would be installed on residential streets where speeding is more of a problem. But you know why speed cams aren't in residential areas: they wouldn't produce as many tickets because of less traffic ... therefore, less revenue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdahunt View Post
Fact is people drive too damn fast in Phoenix......and not all that good either mind you.
No, it's not a fact. That is strictly your opinion. Perhaps other drivers think you move too damn slow. While I'm not condoning excessive speed, there is a legitimate reason why people drive fast here. I'll leave it to you to figure out the reason, and it's most likely the reason you moved here.

Old 01-15-2022, 09:32 AM

10,984 posts, read 6,852,461 times
I don't live there anymore, but I lived on Shea and knew exactly where those camera SUV's were. I imagine there are more now, 5 yrs later.

It's disgusting that they only give you 3 weeks to pay the citation. Not everyone is able to do that. I hope you find the answer you are looking for. It's logical to assume that after getting served you'd be able to take the course, but they probably see it as trying to avoid paying the citation, so maybe not.

My experience was with Tatum Blvd in Paradise Valley. I'm not even going to get started on that. I'm having a nice morning.

Old 01-15-2022, 10:33 AM

784 posts, read 922,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
We can go back 10 or 15 years to numerous other threads about speed cameras, and it's all the same rhetoric. These cameras are not for safety ... they're all about generating revenue for local governments. If they were in place for safety, then they would be installed on residential streets where speeding is more of a problem. But you know why speed cams aren't in residential areas: they wouldn't produce as many tickets because of less traffic ... therefore, less revenue!

No, it's not a fact. That is strictly your opinion. Perhaps other drivers think you move too damn slow. While I'm not condoning excessive speed, there is a legitimate reason why people drive fast here. I'll leave it to you to figure out the reason, and it's most likely the reason you moved here.

Please anyone who travels the roads know that people going 80, 90 even 100mph is quite common...not to say I would never go that fast, I have in my new corvette but on wide open stretches with nobody around.....top speed for my car is 195.....doubt I will ever hit that.

On top of that it looks like people are programmed to run red lights due to the poor programing or lack of operating sensors.

My last couple of visits i have seen more police patrolling and pulling people over on the 101 then I've ever seen before.

Old 01-15-2022, 11:36 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Please anyone who travels the roads know that people going 80, 90 even 100mph is quite common...not to say I would never go that fast, I have in my new corvette but on wide open stretches with nobody around.....top speed for my car is 195.....doubt I will ever hit that.

On top of that it looks like people are programmed to run red lights due to the poor programing or lack of operating sensors.

My last couple of visits i have seen more police patrolling and pulling people over on the 101 then I've ever seen before.
80 MPH on most freeways during low traffic & clear conditions is actually not dangerously fast. It's a different story when traffic is thick and/or when weather conditions are inclement. 90 and 100 MPH are in the excessive speed range. I'm more in favor of police pulling over & citing the worst drivers ... those who are impaired, driving recklessly, excessively fast, or too slow. The only purpose of speed cameras is revenue generation for government agencies. They're not about safety at all.

Quote:
going 11 over.....on a city street.....that also shows complete disregard of the safety of those around you.
Not necessarily. Speed limits are set too low in most cases, and many cops obviously agree because they usually won't pull anybody over unless they're driving excessively fast. Maybe 11 MPH over the speed limit is unsafe where you're from, but Phoenix has wide streets & freeways, and has clear, sunny weather much of the time. This is exactly the reason why people drive fast here, and can often do so without being a hazard to other drivers. Driving around Phoenix is much different than driving around Chicago. Transplants need to realize this before they come here for the climate, and then gripe about how we drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area